The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

View Poll Results: Would you fire a rare or expensive historical firearm?
No, it would be a safe queen 17 17.89%
Yes, but I would limit myself to a certain amount 49 51.58%
Yes, I would fire it like all of my other firearms 29 30.53%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 2, 2016, 03:09 PM   #1
blabablab

Opinions on firing a rare or expensive gun?

Hello All,
I wanted to get everyone's opinion on firing rare, or expensive(over $1800 for me at least) C&R Gun. What is everyone's opinion? Do you not fire them at all, limit yourself to a certain amount per month, year, etc? Just wanting opinions since I am getting into some rare and expensive stuff....
Old August 2, 2016, 03:37 PM   #2
Blindstitch

Maybe you should just come out and say what you're getting in to. Besides as soon as you walk out of a store a gun becomes used (when new) even when never used it's whole life.

What's the sense of owning a gun if you never use it.
Old August 2, 2016, 03:41 PM   #3
blabablab

I was just wanting everyone's opinion in general more than anything else. For example some of my rare swiss carbines(1 in 8000), and my expensive lugers. That is where I am getting the question, but I am just asking in general.
Old August 2, 2016, 03:53 PM   #4
TMD

Shoot it like you stole it.
Old August 2, 2016, 04:27 PM   #5
deerslayer303

So sounds like you bought one of them 1800 dollar lugers from classic? I would shoot it fo sho.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old August 2, 2016, 04:42 PM   #6
FITASC

$1800 is neither rare nor expensive. Unless it is some historical piece WITH PROVENANCE, enjoy shooting it

This is a high-end shotgun I posted a pic of on an other thread. It IS expensive, and I guess since the company only makes about 2 dozen guns a year it is rare.........but it is still available:

http://www.gunsinternational.com/gun...n_id=100713552

Now, I consider a $238,500 gun somewhat expensive; $1800, not so much
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa

Last edited by FITASC; August 2, 2016 at 04:52 PM.
Old August 2, 2016, 04:56 PM   #7
RaySendero

FITASC corollary:

If you can't afford to buy it,

You can't afford to shoot it!
Old August 2, 2016, 05:04 PM   #8
blabablab

I guess I should have been more specific. I am referring to rare and expensive in terms of the average American..... I am not referring to prototypes, NFA Machine Guns, One of Kind, limited production, etc.
Old August 2, 2016, 05:07 PM   #9
blabablab

And yes, I did buy one of the swiss lugers, but I bought one of the brown grip with holster, because the black grips at 1800 was not really that good of a deal, SOG has had them for a while. The brown and red grips with the holster was a good deal since the holsters themselves cost 300-350, and the brown and red grips are more scarce than than the black. However, I have a few lugers, so I am referring to many.... Would have bought the red grips, but I can't get over how ugly it looks....
Old August 2, 2016, 06:26 PM   #10
firewrench044

I have an M1D and a 1903A4 (snipers )
Value is between $5,000 and $7,000 each
I also have several other original sniper rifles
I admit that I do shoot them on a rare occasion
but limit the number of rounds shot though them
Old August 2, 2016, 06:35 PM   #11
James K
Member In Memoriam

I would have some other questions/qualms.

If the gun had never been fired, I probably wouldn't be the first. But most guns of any age have been fired, especially military guns, so yes, baring problems, I would shoot it.

Jim
Old August 2, 2016, 06:48 PM   #12
Hawg

I'd shoot it but then I'm not a believer in safe queens no matter how much they cost.
Old August 2, 2016, 07:25 PM   #13
TXAZ

You can't take it with you, so you might as well enjoy it, however that might be for you.
The most expensive weapon I've ever purchased was a Barrett M107A1 .50 BMG semi & suppressor, and intend to shoot the heck out of it while learning to shoot 600 yards+.

The only gun I don't shoot much is my grandfather's shotgun. I'm not a shotgun guy, but will pass it down to one of my kids who is.

But like others said, it's all relative to price, need and goals.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old August 2, 2016, 07:43 PM   #14
FITASC

Quote:
I guess I should have been more specific. I am referring to rare and expensive in terms of the average American..... I am not referring to prototypes, NFA Machine Guns, One of Kind, limited production, etc.
Again, $1800 is not rare and expensive to the average American when it comes to "collectors". You should price NFA if you think $1800 is expensive......

A decent semi shotgun is that price now, that amount might get you a down payment on a really nice 1911 or AR.

Sorry, IMO you aren't being realistic. So, as mentioned, unless it is NIB/unfired, at that price point, go ahead and shoot it
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old August 2, 2016, 09:23 PM   #15
Gunplummer

If you are talking military stuff, you bet! If a rare model, I would not take it out into the rain hunting, but would shoot it. With the clean, modern ammunition you are doing a lot less to it than a couple rounds of the original corrosive stuff did.
Old August 2, 2016, 10:27 PM   #16
jonnyc

Guns were made to be shot, especially your milsurp C&Rs, even if some can be a bit expensive. I don't own guns I can't shoot. I think my priciest is a German G43, and that gets exercised every couple of months or so. Only non-corrosive ammo, and nothing too hot, but it does get used.
Old August 2, 2016, 11:08 PM   #17
Scorch

No, I wouldn't shoot it. I would sell it and buy 2 guns I could shoot!

But as others have said, $1,800 is not terribly expensive, I work on some guns that cost 10X that much. And yes, the customers shoot them.
Old August 3, 2016, 12:56 AM   #18
ms6852

Yes I would shoot it. Though I do not own any rare guns the oldest I have is a 52C Winchester which I shoot the heck out of, a colt Python I shoot it.

I am a truck guy and a few years ago I bought a King Ranch and took it hunting in the Terlingua area where we have property. Some places have no dirt roads, pretty desolate area middle of no where. My brothers could not believe I had taken my brand new truck and used it for hunting. The reason I drive trucks is because I hunt and fish and the areas that I enter require 4X4 sometimes.

Let me ask you "if you married a Victoria Model type angel would you not consummate the hell out of that Angel?" Same thing with guns, shoot the hell out of them.
Old August 3, 2016, 09:16 AM   #19
oldscot3

Cars were meant to be driven, guns were meant to be shot.
I suppose if you're a museum curator, and acquiring pieces of significant historical relevance that would be devalued by firing, you shouldn't shoot certain guns.
Or, if you collect weapons for the purpose of resale, and waiting for the greatest monetary appreciation is part of the plan, you might not want to shoot a gun. Example, you bought one of the last of some certain rifle to be made before the factory shuttered. It's new, in the box, with all the papers and unfired. If you calculate that because of it's new unobtainable status it will increase in value significantly, you probably shouldn't shoot it.
Old August 3, 2016, 10:26 AM   #20
mete

A friend said one day he was going to shoot it ! Unfired , 200 years old shotgun ! Nothing rare or fancy but he thought it should be fired !
Why not ? Take good care of it but enjoy shooting it !
Old August 3, 2016, 10:29 AM   #21
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
$1800 is neither rare nor expensive.
While its not rare, today, $1800 is still considered expensive by some of us. Especially those of us who don't make a lot of money.

The most expensive gun I ever bought was $1500, and it cost more than the car I was driving at the time. However, that was some time ago. (and that $1500 gun sells for nearly double what I paid, on today's market )

Ask yourself one question, IF that rare, expensive gun suffers damage from shooting it (or being handled) what do you actually lose??

And, remember to figure in that the value of a gun in dollars ONLY matters when buying or selling. If YOU are planning on selling it at some point, then damage will cost you potential value.

If you aren't, then what is the possible loss? Reduced (potential) value of your estate?? Is THAT a serious concern to you??

Do you think one of your heirs is going to say "gee I wish Dad hadn't shot that rare Luger, now its only worth $3000 instead of $4000!..."

And even if they did, what would that matter to you, then???
Old August 3, 2016, 10:33 AM   #22
RickB

I have a 1st Generation Colt Frontier Six Shooter, inherited from dad, and though it was restored at the factory in the '50s, it still has a 120yo cylinder, so I shoot it very rarely, and then, only with blackpowder cartridges.
It might not be extremely valuable, but I would feel very bad if I blew it up. I have fifty rounds loaded for it, and suspect they were loaded fifteen years ago, so maybe I'll never shoot it again, or save it for my 75th birthday, or something.
Old August 3, 2016, 10:45 AM   #23
JWT

Probably would do limited shooting with a rare gun but would fire an expensive one just like any firearm I own. The few relatively expensive guns I own dod not get treated any differently than my others.
Old August 3, 2016, 10:45 AM   #24
P5 Guy

WHAT!

Why buy a firearm you'll never shoot?
Old August 3, 2016, 10:49 AM   #25
reddog81

Did you buy it to shoot or buy it to collect? Has it been shot before? I could see being hesitant to shoot an unfired 120 year old Colt SAA, but a Luger that has been fired 1,000's of times and carried in a holster for years, it seems like shooting a couple of boxes through it probably isn't going to decrease the value much.

I have shot stuff I recently purchased that was NIB unfired from the 70's, but they weren't $1,800 guns to begin with. It all depends on your personal preference.