The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old February 24, 2014, 03:23 PM   #1
44 AMP
Staff

Heritage shotgun

Looking for info on a Heritage 12 ga. single shot, break action.

I believe it to be a trade gun, made for sale as a store brand, before WWII?

All I can find is info on the Heritage Rough Rider .22 pistol...

Also any info on Japanese made single shot 12ga, imported by Kassnar.

A young friend of mine, soon to be taking his terminal leave is looking at either of these as a "home defense gun". What he means is having something that can shoot, just in case. He understands there is better, and when funds allow, will be looking for something else.

But, for now...$85 is being asked for either.

He asked if it was worth it, and the only honest answer I could give was "not to me". If it is some rare collector's dream, it would be good to know, I don't think it is. Any other info would be nice.

Thanks!
Old February 24, 2014, 04:45 PM   #2
RJay

Some models of the Crescent used the trade name of Heritage for the Grey Dusley Hardware chain of Nashville, TN. Which usually means the trade name belongs to the Hardware store and there were multiple makes such as Stevens. Davis, and so forth, they could have even used Belgium guns. Good Luck in your search. If it is in decent condition and chambered for 3 3/4 inch shells ( should be ) I think the price is right.
Old February 24, 2014, 07:31 PM   #3
PetahW

AFAIK, the Kassnar should be an Omega - a better choice than a 100-year-old gun (the Heritage) that is most likely short-chambered (shorter than 2-3/4" fired length).

(Note: an unfired 2-3/4" shell will chamber in a 2-1/2" chamber, but when fired will expand the crimp past the chamber throat into the barrel, raising pressures beyond what a gun as old as that can handle safely.)

If you unsnap the Heritage's forend & unhinge the barrel, you can inspect the hidden metal for an "ELG" - sure proof it was made in Belgium in the early 1900's.