The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old November 17, 2005, 07:41 PM   #1
flossy21

Need Help Id'ing a WWII era revolver

I am hoping someone here can help me. I am attaching some pictures of a revolver that I want to identify. My grandfather was in Europe during WWII and this revolver made its way home with him. It was supposedly war booty removed from a dead German soldier. It is a double acting revolver with a thumb safety. The handles were supposedly carved out of a downed airplane windshield and contain pictures of my uncle and aunt. It has no markings other than a 5 pointed star embossed above the receiver on the frame of the gun and some other stamps that don't really appear to be anything discernable. There is one stamp in the revolver part that looks like a pine tree. On the side is stamped CAL. 8 M/M. The leather holster which accompanies it is marked in ink on the inside flap with what appears to be the following, "bnz 1944" and "P35 (b)" along with the eagle holding the swastika symbol. I do not know if the holster is original to the gun but it fits OK so it could be.

I am hoping to find out make, model, country, years of manufacture, value, etc. Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited by flossy21; November 17, 2005 at 07:47 PM. Reason: add pics
Old November 17, 2005, 08:57 PM   #2
Jim Watson

The stamps that are not discernable are likely European proof marks that would identify the country and period of origin.
The only 8mm revolvers I know of by name are the WW I era Austrian Rast Gasser and the French Modelle d'Ordinance 1892 and this is not either one of those.

I will take a flying guess that this is a Belgian or Spanish revolver in the French 8mm caliber captured and put to use by the Germans. This was very common, a pistol of about any sort that a box of ammunition could be found for was a valuable defense for a German garritrooper working in an occupied country and subject to attack by the Resistance.

The holster is likely for a Polish Radom - the OTHER P35 besides the better known Browning High Power - because the Germans moved Radom machinery to Steyr in Austria and the production code for that factory was "bnz". Likely the revolver was just pushed into the holster until the leather molded itself to fit.
Old November 17, 2005, 09:35 PM   #3
joab

Belgian pattern similar to some made in Spain

Made before 1914

Known as Service Revolver, Police Revolver, and more commonly Postal Revolver

Also sold in Russia as the Zashchitnik

Plagerized from TheIllustrated Encyclopedia of Handguns by A.B. Hzuk page 145
Old November 17, 2005, 09:42 PM   #4
joab

Here's the scan

It more closely resembles 1010, it's the only one with an exact match on the grip shape

Read the text for 1010-1013
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...temppic062.jpg
Old November 18, 2005, 12:47 PM   #5
flossy21

Thanks for the help!

Wow! Thanks for the info. The 1010 one does look just like it!
Old November 18, 2005, 05:34 PM   #6
joab

Let me know if you need a better scan
Old November 22, 2005, 08:17 PM   #7
James K
Member In Memoriam

The P. 35 (b) is the Browning High Power. The holster appears to have been altered to hold that revolver, and the spare magazine compartment removed. As to the gun itself, I can't add anything to what has already been said.

Jim