The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 21, 2018, 08:42 PM   #1
chasep255

New Pedersoli 2 Band Enfield with rust in barrel.

I just got a new pedersoli 2 band 1858 enfield from dixie gun works. It looked real nice out of the box except for some rust on the ramrod which I didn't mind since I was going to replace it with a brass rod anyway. Upon further inspection I noticed that the trigger would sometimes get stuck down and the sear not engage the tumbler. I was able to fix this by slightly loosening some screws in the trigger. The next day I brought it to the range and with 50gr FFg behind a 530 grain RCBS mini I was able to shoot 1.5" groups at 50 yards. The groups we about a foot high and 6" to the left but it seemed very accurate. I thought I had a really good gun which just needed a higher dovetail front sight to get zeroed. When I got home I went to clean the gun and I noticed a huge rusty spot inside the bore. The rest of the barrel was perfect looking except for a giant rusty spot on the roof of the barrel. I suppose I didn't notice it at first since I never looked into the bore upside down before.

I called dixie and they are willing to accept a return even though I already fired it. I could probably just keep it since it shot well, but I really just don't want a new gun with such a major blemish. Has anyone else owned a pedersoli 2 band enfield, and did yours have any issues? Should I try to get a replacement pedersoli enfield or go with something else? Any suggestions?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg out.jpg (236.2 KB, 535 views)
Old February 21, 2018, 10:57 PM   #2
Slamfire

Send it back. Don't accept a new rifle barrel with rust on the inside. Yes, you want to keep it, you might be getting attached to the thing, but, don't get attached to the thing. Send it back, and ask for something in return that has nice wood, sights aligned, good trigger, basically hand picked to your specifications. You might get it, because they understand how disappointed you are. And then you will be happier that you got a better rifle and one that did not have a rusty barrel.
Old February 23, 2018, 12:47 PM   #3
maillemaker

That is not a rusty spot!

That is discoloration from when they soldered the front sight on. My Armisport 1842 has the same discoloration on the barrel from the bayonet lug being soldered on.

I bet if you used a bore scope and looked where your bayonet lug is soldered on further down the barrel, you'll see the same thing.

This is not a problem for the gun. Keep it and shoot it.

Steve
Old February 23, 2018, 02:55 PM   #4
toot44

mine is the same, site and bayonet lug. not to worry, does not effect my groups.
Old February 23, 2018, 05:43 PM   #5
chasep255

That is great to hear. I did notice that area has a rougher texture when I ran a qtip over it. Is that normal?
Old February 26, 2018, 02:00 AM   #6
Model12Win

Just chuck some 0000 steel wool on a cleaning brush and scrub the bore with a liberal amount of oil. It will knock any surface rust out as if it weren't even there anymore. It would be a serious waste of time to send it back. You do not have an issue, these damn things are made in Italy and who knows how long it could have sat in some warehouse or dock. Do what I'm saying and smile, you have a good rifle.
Old February 27, 2018, 09:48 PM   #7
maillemaker

You'll likely never polish it out without damaging the rifling. And, it's not a result of sitting in a warehouse - it's oxide that formed during the high heat of the soldering on of the sight and bayonet lugs.

Here's my Pedersoli P58, just like yours. Pardon the dust, this thing doesn't get shot much:

Here's my Armisport M1842 where the bayonet lug was soldered on. This one gets shot a lot in competition:

If I haven't worn the finish out of the smoothbore, it's never coming out.

Steve
Old February 27, 2018, 10:26 PM   #8
drobs

So Chasep225 how does that gun shoot?
Old February 28, 2018, 08:48 PM   #9
chasep255

I managed to get 1.5" at 50 yards. I loaded with 50gr of goex 2F behind a 530 grain RCBS mini. I just need to get a new front sight since I am 9" high and 6" to the left.