The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 18, 2017, 07:13 PM   #1
chasep255

Flush out kit for pedersoli volunteer rifle.

I just got the tang sight installed on my pedersoli volunteer target rifle. Unfortunately this makes it a bit harder to remove my barrel (also I think if I did it would loose its zero between shooting sessions.) I normally remove the barrel and set the bottom of it in a bucket of water and run a patched jag to pump water into the barrel. I tried cleaning the gun without removing the barrel but this was problematic since I could not get it really clean (fowling stuck near the breech plug.) I would like to get one of the flush out kits which replaces the nipple. However I can not find one which fits my nipple (8mmX1.25 or 5/16X20). I also have a clean out screw I can remove next to the nipple but I can not find what size the threads are. Does anyone know where I can get a flush out kit for this gun or want to suggest an alternative?

https://www.buffaloarms.com/catalogs...t&category=All
Old December 18, 2017, 07:41 PM   #2
mehavey

Quote:
I could not get it really clean (fowling stuck near the breech plug.)
Are you sure you don't have a patent breech? Simple treatment to solve (w/o dunking it all)
See whole string:
https://www.thehighroad.org/index.ph...sfires.745854/
Old December 19, 2017, 12:39 AM   #3
Model12Win

How I clean my caplocks:

1. Remove your ramrod, especially if it is wood. Take a folded patch or something and set it on the nipple, let the hammer down to hold the patch in place. You want to make a seal for the next step.

2. Dump a few ounces of HOT water down the bore, using a little funnel or just a rag around the muzzle to keep away water from the stock. Depending on your bore size, you might need less or more water.

3. Holding your thumb over the bore to keep the water in, tip the rifle back and forth to get the water all up inside the bore and breech, then dump the water in the toilet or yard.

4. Repeat Steps 2 & 3 one or two more times.

5. Set the rifle down to where it's angled downwards so the water can drip out the muzzle on your knee or something. While it's drip drying, remove the nipple and clean out screw (if applicable) and set them into a cup of hot water to soak.

6. While the nipple and clean out screw are soaking, use a DAMP rag and some plastic brushes to remove fouling and wipe off residue from the hammer, lock, barrel, all exposed metal. Avoid getting water between the stock and wood. Just use a moist rag, not soaked.

7. Scrub your now thoroughly soaked nipple and clean out screw and be sure the nipple is very clean.

8. By the time you do this, your bore should be mostly drip dried. Use a .22-.35 caliber wire bore brush with a patch wrapped over the top to scrub the patent breech clean, works great. Use a pipe cleaner and/or Q-tip to clean the clean out screw channel and the percussion drum (where the nipple screws in). Use a jag and patches to to scrub the bore, you should only need a few. The water flushing should get out most all the fouling. The goal is to remove any lingering moisture, there shouldn't be too much.

9. Apply anti-sieze lube to the nipple and clean out screw and reinstall. Run a greased patch down the bore. Wipe all exposed metal parts with a light lube.

Now what I just described might sound like a big process, but it's not. Keep in mind while you are cleaning the rest of the gun, the powder fouling in the bore and patent breech are absorbing the remaining water and softening, making it very easy to clean out. With practice, you can have a rifle that is as clean as factory new in less than 30 minutes, well under if you get the hang of it.

Has worked supremely well for me and my Lyman plains rifle. I haven't ever had the slightest bit of rust anywhere, and my misfire rate is next to 0 even though it has a patent breech like your Pedersoli probably does. This process works on any and all traditional muzzleloaders, no need to remove the barrel from the stock, and can be done with a minimum of tools and even around a campfire when out in the field.

The flush out kits can be useful, but you're still going to have to chase it with patches to dry it out anyway, and my method ensures no lingering moisture or fouling remains to spoil your next outing.

Good luck!!
Old December 19, 2017, 06:45 AM   #4
Hawg

I'm curious as to why a tang sight makes it hard to remove the barrel?
Old December 20, 2017, 05:45 AM   #5
chasep255

It makes it hard to remove the barrel since the adaptor for the sight comes with a longer screw which replaces the tang screw. Then it also takes a wood screw which gets screwed into the stock. I can't remove the barrel because even if I just undo the tang screw I can not lift the barrel up and out without rotating the base out of the way. However I need to unscrew the sights since its screws are a bit long and stick into the stock as well. I would think all this adjustment would cause the rifle to lose its zero between shots.

I feel like the sights provided with the gun were very poorly thought out by pedersoli. As is the front sight is too low making it impossible to get on target within 100 yards. The angle of the base does not match the stock. The dovetail for the front sight needed to be cut since it was the wrong size for the dovetail already in the gun. Also I don't get why the base is even needed and the rear sight can't just be screwed into the stock.
Old December 20, 2017, 11:06 AM   #6
ocharry

i always just use a tight fitting little hose pushed onto the nipple long enough to put it in a pan of water and pump the hot soapy water into the barrel,,,i turn the rifle upside down,,,sights down,,,trigger up,,set it on the floor on the top corner of the butt stock,,rap a towel around the muzzle to help with any water that gets around the jag and patch and pump away,,,,has always worked for me,,,if you use really hot water and pump it in and out enough to get the barrel hot the heat will help dry the water,,,,i let it set for a few,,,give it a swab with hoppies and dry that and then oil,,,,never had a problem,,,,dont take much longer than cleaning any other rifle

thats how i do it,,,,just my .02

ocharry

Tags
black powder , cleaning , flush out , pedersoli