The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old April 8, 2010, 09:58 PM   #1
gomesito

How to purchase a handgun in VA face to face?

If I purchase a pistol from a private seller do I need to register the weapon or is there any paperwork I need to do? I keep hearing about a FFL but don't know if that is for a new weapon or all weapons. I live in VA and am currently looking for my first pistol but I don't understand the proceedures for buying a second hand weapon. Can someone guide me in the right direction?
Old April 8, 2010, 10:11 PM   #2
Ludarue

http://www.opencarry.org/privatetransfers.html

http://www.opencarry.org/register.html

You should be good to go.
Old April 9, 2010, 08:41 AM   #3
45Gunner

If you purchase a gun on line, it will need to be shipped to a FFL. If you buy a used gun from an individual, there is no need to involve a FFL but to CYA, make sure there is a bill of sale. You can do a Google search for a Firearms Bill of Sale which should contain all the info about the gun and the name, address, and a driver's license or CCW license number of the seller. You may consider getting the serial number of the gun prior to completing the sale and checking with your State licensing Dept. via their web site to determine it is not a stolen gun.
NRA Life Member
Old April 9, 2010, 09:02 AM   #4
CajunBass

Meet me at McDonalds. I'll look at the gun. If I want it, I'll give you the money. You give me the gun. Nice doing business with you. Bye.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old April 9, 2010, 10:21 AM   #5
vladan

Quote:
Meet me at McDonalds. I'll look at the gun. If I want it, I'll give you the money. You give me the gun. Nice doing business with you. Bye.
Don't like this kind of deals ... it might go like this : Meet me at McDonalds. I'll look at the gun. You point the gun in my face, I'll give you the money. I go home. Nice doing business with you. Bye.
just saying, be careful
Old April 9, 2010, 11:27 AM   #6
NavyLT

Quote:
You forgot to get the Big Mac value meal.

I've done multiple private sales like this, no problem. Of course I am either open carrying or conceal carrying my own gun, which is normal.
Old April 9, 2010, 01:33 PM   #7
FreakGasolineFight

Meet me at McDonalds. I'll look at the gun. You point the gun in my face. I'll remind you that the gun isn't loaded, because that would be fantastically stupid. You will then have a loaded gun pointed in your own face. After this you will be arrested. I will go home.
Old April 9, 2010, 01:44 PM   #8
ZeSpectre

Here's how my transactions have gone (assuming I'm selling the gun to you).

We meet someplace neutral, I have two copies of a printed receipt that contains info on the gun. We both sign and date the receipt, I take a digital photo of your driver's license (to prove that you are a VA resident) you give me the money, I give you the item for sale, we go our separate ways.
Old April 9, 2010, 04:00 PM   #9
NavyLT

ZeSpectre:

Quote:
We meet someplace neutral, I have two copies of a printed receipt that contains info on the gun. We both sign and date the receipt, I attempt to take a digital photo of your driver's license
Respectfully, and you have every right to make whatever requirements you want on a private sale; but at the bolded portion above, with the correction underlined, I respectfully walk away. There is no need for you to have my driver's license information. Again, a lot of people wouldn't have a problem with that, and you have every right to ask for what you want.
Old April 9, 2010, 04:41 PM   #10
gomesito

sale

Thanks everyone for your info and this helps just in case I am able to find what I want used.
Old April 9, 2010, 05:45 PM   #11
towelie

I'm under the assumption that privat firearm sales are 100% legal with no need for an FFL transfer, as long as the buyer and seller are residents of the same state. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Old April 9, 2010, 07:36 PM   #12
ZeSpectre

NavyLT,

1) Please, if you are going to quote someone, don't change the quote. If you are going to change it don't put it in a Quote box because it's no longer a quote.

2) A record of a valid VA driver's license is my "due diligence" that the buyer is legally entitled to purchase a handgun (in the state of Va). If the buyer doesn't want to comply then there's no sale because I'm not going to be the guy showing up on the undercover news network sting who "didn't even ask any questions".

Ultimately the buyer doesn't have to buy, nor do I have to sell, but if there's going to be a legal transaction I'm going to CMA.

Last edited by ZeSpectre; April 9, 2010 at 09:00 PM.
Old April 9, 2010, 08:30 PM   #13
MTT TL

I Google the local police department and then set up the meet for a business directly across the street. Crooks are stupid but most recognize a parking lot full of police cars.
Quote:
I'm under the assumption that private firearm sales are 100% legal with no need for an FFL transfer, as long as the buyer and seller are residents of the same state.
In Virginia this is 100% true.
Old April 9, 2010, 08:54 PM   #14
bestwrmd

Quote:
In Virginia this is 100% true
Anyway this could work in NYC.
Old April 14, 2010, 02:20 PM   #15
gomesito

Thanks. For the price of some of the used guns I have seen I think I am going to stick to a Glock using the military/LE discount.