The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old November 6, 2018, 01:57 PM   #151
Ruger45LC

I like the .41 and have owned several, but at the end of the day, I can see why the .44 is more popular. With the .44 you have better selection of everything and a bigger bullet, even if only slightly bigger, and it's more powerful than the .41 Mag. If you handload, which is very likely if you have or are considering a .41 Mag, the .44 will put out more power and can be loaded to mimic .41 Mag ballistics as well, so you can dial in how much recoil you want or don't want. I like that the .41 is "different" and obscure and I enjoyed the .41's when I had them but I doubt I'll ever buy another one.
Old November 6, 2018, 05:02 PM   #152
Charlie98

Quote:
Pretty sure that the gun in that picture is not an 1894FG...

FG is .41 Mag with a pistol grip, not the straight stock shown, and is highly sought after...
Pretty sure it is... I bought it new. I also don't like the pistol grip so I swapped the parts out with a 336 donor rifle to get the straight stock and lever. You will note the forearm is checkered and the butt is not. I need to take it to the belt sander and buff that checkering off and restain the whole stock set ...but, I haven't got there, yet.

"I have this pistol pointed at your heart!"
"That is my least vulnerable spot."
Old November 6, 2018, 06:24 PM   #153
Salmoneye

I hope you saved the parts...Have you seen what the 1894FG sells for these days in original condition?

I just went and looked you up on MO, and read a bit about your conversion...

More power to ya, but I won't be converting my PG to straight stock...

That's what my S is for...

Sorry for the thread drift, and I apologize for doubting your rollstamp...

lol
Old November 6, 2018, 11:48 PM   #154
Charlie98

No, I swapped a guy out for parts. The forearm was a problem, and we went through 5 different forearms before I found one that will sort of fit... it's still setting on the work bench 10 years later. I don't really care what an FG is going for on GB these days, I hunted for a .41 S for almost 10 years before the FG came out, and bought the first one I could. It's not going anywhere. As this thread shows, the .41 is a has-been obsolete round... who would want a .41 lever-action anyway?

"I have this pistol pointed at your heart!"
"That is my least vulnerable spot."
Old November 7, 2018, 07:25 AM   #155
Salmoneye

I want a .41 Blackhawk, but so far I can't justify the outlay as I have the other 'Mags' surrounding it...

If I had one, I'd then need an 1894 to keep it company...

And dies, and...

It's a vicious sickness, aint it?
Old November 7, 2018, 10:55 AM   #156
stagpanther

If you do go for a 41 mag Blackhawk--don't go for the cheaper one with the cast grip frame and cheese-grater plastic grips (which I did). Spend the extra money for a red hawk or super Blackhawk hunter--even though they are harder to find. You'll be especially thankful for the scope ring mounts if you can find a SBH in 41 mag.
Old November 7, 2018, 11:41 AM   #157
Salmoneye

Grip frames can be swapped, as can grips...

I have a set of Spalted Maple that I knocked up just waiting for a gun to go on...Actually have several sets that I made waiting...

As for the grip frame, I do not mind the alloy (read aluminum) grip frame at all...

Love my Liberty Blackhawk (1976) in .357 with the alloy frame...

My 7-1/2" .44 Mag SBH is all steel, and my days of scoped hunting handguns are over...I divested myself of my Contender with 10" .45-70 and 12" .357 Herrett barrels long ago...

Only scoped handgun I have left is a 8-3/8" S&W 686-3 that I bought for Dad as a present...Sadly, it came back to me after his death, and I will keep it the way he left it till I am gone...
Old November 7, 2018, 06:31 PM   #158
Real Gun

Quote:
Grip frames can be swapped, as can grips...
I wish... The quote was $800-1400 for converting my Flat Top to a Bisley grip, and that was with me already having purchased $200 worth of parts from Ruger. Of course part of the issue is the bluing but most of it was fitting the raw casting to both the gun and the included grips.
Old November 8, 2018, 07:38 AM   #159
Salmoneye

Bisley grip frame and hammer would indeed cost about $200...

Fitting a grip frame is not really that difficult...

Bluing would of course be extra cost, unless you found a take-off that was already blued or went with stainless...

Here's a thread that explains pretty well what to look for when changing grip frames:

https://rugerforum.net/ruger-single-...-flat-top.html
Old November 15, 2018, 02:06 AM   #160
Crazy Carl

Mad love for the .41 here, with a Bisley SBH Hunter, 5.5" Bisley BH, 6.5" stainless BH & Henry .41 carbine.

I know the history, I've heard all the arguments for/against & I just don't care. Never cared for shooting the .44, but love the .41. Dunno why, can't explain it. Just a "feel" thing, I reckon. Besides, why be "normal"?

I love the .357 & like the .45LC a bunch as well, but the .44 just always strikes me as too much drama. Not sure what the .44 can do that the .41 or "Ruger only" .45LC can't do, but where I enjoy shooting the .41 & .45, I don't want anything to do with a .44.