The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 15, 2018, 02:03 PM   #26
Ballenxj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballenxj
I'm going to see how well the 265 grain Fusions group for me in the morning.
I just shot the Remington Barnes 168's this morning, and wasn't thrilled with the grouping I got compared to Federal ammo. I've got a thread going here about best ammo for Cow Elk. We'll see.
I spoke too soon on the issue of the Remington Barnes ammo. Come to find out it was a loosening issue with my rifle, so will have to start all over with the testing.
See this thread for details.---> https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=597674
After remedying the looseness issue, the Fusion 165's shot very well. About 1/2 moa.
This now leaves me wondering how well the other brands will shoot? Dang it!
Old September 15, 2018, 04:54 PM   #27
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Ballenxj, you may be best advised to start a new thread for this discussion, as the last post in this one occurred more than 4 1/2 years ago.
Old September 15, 2018, 11:51 PM   #28
Ballenxj

@ Brian Pfleuger, sorry, didn't mean to piss you off. I did a google search, and guess what? It lead me straight here, and I was hoping to get some feedback on this particular ammunition. I would recommend you simply lock this thread if you don't want anybody replying to it. Thanks.
Old September 16, 2018, 01:50 PM   #29
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Mods can’t lock every thread and no one is mad about anything. I used large, red text because the previous reference to this being a “necro thread” went unheeded and I wanted to make sure you are aware. If you’d like to continue posting in this thread, have at it.
I’m simply trying to help make sure that your posts are noticed and relevant. A 4+ yr old thread started by someone else and that’s only peripherally related to your topic isn’t really the place for that... but if it’s where you’d like to post... do your thing.
Old October 29, 2018, 01:27 AM   #30
Roadkill2228

I will say, once I got into reloading i purchased a chronograph and out of curiosity tested factory ammo I had accumulated. In my 270 the 150 grain fusion load was crazy slow compared to advertised and compared to other factory loads of that weight. Like a full 175 feet per second slower. That’s a big difference. The most true to advertised were Winchester super x power points, and federal blue box soft points and hornady were very close to advertisement as well. Remington core lokt 243 was stupid slow like the fusions.
Old October 29, 2018, 02:08 PM   #31
Dano4734

I am as guilty as anyone. I think we all put too much stock in the newfangled bullet hype. The tried and true has worked forever but like all of us who love hunting or shooting we go for better or whatever we think is better
Old October 29, 2018, 05:51 PM   #32
reynolds357

You must understand The Fusion to appreciate it or at least know why you hate it. The Fusion was born from Speer trying to develop a cheap substitute for The Grand Slam. The Fusion is pretty much a hard cast bullet with an extremely thin CU jacket electronically deposited on it for the sole purpose of high speed lubrication. (Or so I have been told) I personally like the Fusion for White Tails. I doubt it would be my first choice shooting something that might try to eat me.
Old October 29, 2018, 06:02 PM   #33
gw44

Well its hard to beat a core-lokt or barnes TTSX !!!
Old October 29, 2018, 06:42 PM   #34
Doyle

Quote:
Well its hard to beat a core-lokt or barnes TTSX !!!
Interesting that you would pair these two together as it would be really difficult to find another two bullets that are so different.