The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old May 17, 2009, 03:22 PM   #351
dipper

I just picked up 2 lbs. for $53.00 out the door.
Supplies are around, you just have to look and keep looking.
Old May 17, 2009, 06:44 PM   #352
D1lazarus

Some people are frakkin crazy. I just picked up 3lbs for 74 bucks at my local gun store. They still had 6 1lbers on the shelf and an 8 lber. They also got in 100k primers Monday. Small pistol, large pistol, large rifle mag and small rifle. By Thurs he had sold 25k. Good prices tho.
Old May 17, 2009, 09:49 PM   #353
BradF

Quote:
Some people are frakkin crazy
Yep. Those same people that are paying the astronomical prices for reloading supplies, and hoarding ammo will most likely never reload a round, nor fire their stashed ammo.
Old May 17, 2009, 10:33 PM   #354
Huskerguy

8 lbs for $173.00.
Old May 18, 2009, 07:15 AM   #355
SL1

These really ridiculous prices make me wonder if some folks aren't scamming the system. Maybe some of them are working in teams to make fake sales to each other at ridiculous prices to drive up the accepted price? I know that they need to pay E-bay or GunBroker a %age, but, this type of scheme has been done for decades with stocks that have brokerage fees, so you know the thought process is "out there".

Lately, my suspicions have been raised even more by numerous e-mails I get from E-bay telling me that an item I have been watching has been relisted. That seems strange, because I thought some of those items were sold.

SL1
Old May 20, 2009, 03:01 PM   #356
Badgerloader

CCI primers

ATK layoffs

Story Published: Jan 8, 2009 at 10:53 PM PDT
Story Updated: Jan 9, 2009 at 2:41 PM PDT
By Matt Loveless
Watch the video
LEWISTON - ATK CCI/Speer in Lewiston is cutting about 8 percent of their workforce.

In mid-December, the company announced an indefinite period of downtime for a number of workers at the Lewiston plant. Now ATK will lay off 70 to 80 Lewiston employees in what management calls a reduction in force.

ATK spokesperson Amanda Covington said the affected employees were notified Thursday.

Covington said it's not the economy, that the company is still seeing a healthy market for ammunition sales. She said it goes back to a 2006 hiring boost, which was implemented to cover a backlog of orders for the growing company. Covington said they are finally caught up on that backlog, and no longer need those employees.

Newly-elected Republican U.S. Senator Jim Risch said Thursday he is concerned about the loss of jobs.

In a statement Risch said, "It is disappointing to hear that over 100 people are losing their jobs at CCI/Speer in Lewiston. It is imperative that the new Congress and President work quickly on ways to improve our country's business climate. We must find ways to keep companies like CCI/Speer growing and their workers employed. They are an excellent local employer and we need to move swiftly to keep these jobs that provide the income for many families in the Lewiston area."
Old May 20, 2009, 08:39 PM   #357
tiberius10721

sometimes I get the feeling that there is something more to this ammo shortage than just supply and demand.I can still get reloading supplies because I know where to go but it seems to me like the ammo companies would be catching up by now and their not.maybe we are selling ammo overseas and to mexico or something.I have a few thousand rounds but I dont consider that hoarding i could finish what I got in a few months.If this keeps up its going to hurt the gun manufacturers in the long run because nobody is going to buy a gun they cant purchase ammo for![color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color]! why would a primer company be laying off people right now?
Old May 21, 2009, 08:15 AM   #358
jisom001

Iceman

Here is a thought. To buy all of the primers sold to individuals in the USA in one year would cost $5 million. All of the primers sold to individuals in the whole world is $50 million. I can (and do) make bullets, casings and even powder. I can not make primers. If I wanted to control personal ammo manufacture and I was a little Muslim Commie, I would not try to pass a law. I would buy up all the primers. The President has $70 B I L L I O N a year in discretionary funds to run the office of the Presidency, He wouldn't even notice 5 million. Even the Russians (Wolf) are saying that all of their primers are sold for the next 6 months. It could be people are stockpiling reloading supplies. It could be something else entirely.
Old May 21, 2009, 08:38 AM   #359
MrKTI

Posts like this, and you all wonder why people are hoarding ...

John
Old May 21, 2009, 09:09 AM   #360
lcc123

North Idaho ammo maker looks to fill jobs
- by The Associated Press
Thursday April 02, 2009

LEWISTON, Idaho -- Ammunition maker ATK Armament Systems in northern Idaho says it is rehiring at least some of the 70 to 80 employees it laid off in January.

Spokeswoman Amanda Covington is declining to say how many will be rehired but that the company, part of Minneapolis-based ATK, is reaching out to former employees who are already trained.

The plant is the Lewiston area's third-largest manufacturing employer with about 850 workers.

Shooting enthusiasts say concern the Obama administration could impose a new ban on some semiautomatic weapons is driving worried gun owners to stockpile ammunition and cartridge reloading components at such a rate that manufacturers can't meet demand.
Old May 21, 2009, 09:33 AM   #361
tiberius10721

you know jisom001 thats a great point you made about how easy it would be for the govt to buy up all the primers.I dont think people are hoarding as much as people think.I have talked to people who own gun stores and to people at bass pro,and walmart and what I hear all the time is the ammo shipments are just not coming in and when they do get a shipment its not even close to the amount they order.
Old May 21, 2009, 06:58 PM   #362
SwampYankee
Registration in progress

Not hoarding? There is a guy on Gunbroker selling primers who states he has millions of them. He has the pictures posted to back it up too, row after row of full cases of primers.
Old May 22, 2009, 04:30 AM   #363
glokmunkee

If he is selling them then he isnt hording them really is he? Maybe price gougeing(<- ?). Did he just get them, it would seem to me he would already have had most of them. Who is the seller? Lets get em!!
SL1 that has happened to me too! On G/B alot!! I am sort of watching components and I go back and check on them, and I have a noticable amount of repeats like that. I know were getting suckered like 1999 somehow.

I will say this is really creepy wierd! There are crazy purchases of the stuff, all around. On auction sites. Stores run out almost pronto and are like you said mystriously shorted. That says two of many things like: the ammo and components arent making it out of the factory, or the distributor is diverting them somewhere. I mean huge retail chains like Cabela's, Wal-Mart and Academy. That is millions of dollars in lost revenue so far. How many times have anyone of us walked out of those places in the past after spending a 100 bucks in ammo alone for a (light) weekender? Even reloaders sometimes buy ammo in a crunch so we arent immune. I only know they arent landing here either! ( conspiracy theories on a firearm forum.... , isn't that like fanning the flame? or double charging a case so to speak... )

Last edited by glokmunkee; May 22, 2009 at 04:50 AM.
Old May 22, 2009, 12:57 PM   #364
SnowNCycle

If indeed there is ANY type of "conspiracy", I hardly think that the retailers have anything to do with it. Their bottom lines need all the help that they can get and if there is product out there that they can sell, they are going to try and obtain it and sell it. As far as the guy selling all the primers, well we don't have to like it, but that is part of the free market way of doing things. A way of life I see becoming a distant memory very quickly. At some point in time, this guy decided to make an investment based on trends he saw. He could have bought all those primers and gotten stuck with them, too. Turns out he made a good investment, better than the money I put in my 401(k)! He now has the option to sell those items at what the market will bear. Again, the only reasons we should be mad at him are 1) He has them and we don't and 2) He is making money off those who choose to pay the price and we didn't come up with the idea, too! Hey, I'm the guy with 70,000 (well, now only 65,000) primers on back order at Cabela's, who took a reaming from a few of you. I am standing in line, hoping they will trickle to me so that not only can I use them, but share with those I know in my area who can't get them. I have been blessed with the resources to buy them and will undoubtedly offer them to fellow enthusiasts at the same price I paid for them. Let's hope that the "change" for which most of the country voted does not continue to hamper our passion for not only the sport, but the right guaranteed us by our forefathers.

My Messiah is a carpenter, not a politician.
Old May 22, 2009, 01:12 PM   #365
SnowNCycle

Powder, too

PS

I also saw Varget powder going from $60.00 up to $90.00/lb on Gunbroker.

Almost defeats the "economic" purpose of reloading.

The second amendment is not about hunting.
Old May 22, 2009, 02:49 PM   #366
glokmunkee

I am with you on that. I think we are past the economic benefits of loading if you have to buy any components right now. Doesn't seem like there are any deals to be had for sure. If you find any and pay a reasonable price then feel lucky and breathe a sigh of relief!
Old May 22, 2009, 04:19 PM   #367
MrKTI

My Dillon 650 has been sitting for about 10 years. I have it all lubed up, checked out, polished and some holy water sprinkled on just for sh#ts and giggles ... not to save money, but to have ammo if I need it.

Components will always be easier to find that factory stuff I figgur, and my investment is way less.

Teaching the grandbabies now how to load the primer tube and load brass.

Just kidding about the last part ... have a wife for that ...

... I help her load her quilting machine for those that are thinking male pig.

John
Old May 22, 2009, 04:20 PM   #368
dsv424

I was in Cabelas today and just for the hell of it I asked the clerk if he had any primers and he said he thought he had some large rifle so I told him I'd take a box(1000). When he came back he said they were all gone but had a bunch of small rifle primers(I about fainted when he said that) so to make a long story short I walked out with a box of Rem. 7 1/2 BR primers. They were limiting 1 box per customer. So I guess you just have to keep asking because I never in my dreams thought I'd be walking out with small rifle primers. Oh yeah, this was the Cabelas in Ft. Worth, Texas
Old May 23, 2009, 03:42 PM   #369
Nate1778

Went ahead and bit the bullet to get in line at Grafs. 5K Win SPP and a 5lbs of Unique. I figure by the time I get them I will need them. There is something fun about getting a package in a few months and forgotten what it was that you ordered. Ohh well, I still have enough to get me by, just have to curb my shooting a bit.
Old May 23, 2009, 05:46 PM   #370
vbk1969

My local sporting goods.

My local store here has been out of primers for about 2 months and went in there yesterday to get a bullet puller and looked on the shelf where the 209primers are and what did i see cci small and large pistol primers. So i went down to the other end and just asked the guy if he had any primers and he started towards the stock room and i told him there were some over here. So he came and said that he could let me have only a thousand. So i got 500 of each. But i am willing to bet that they are keeping the rest in the back of the store so people want try to hord them all up. just my 2 cents.
Old May 25, 2009, 07:54 AM   #371
1911rocks

Hoarding/Paranoia

For those of us old enough to remember the Summers of 1968, 1969, & 1970...especially 1968. The current supply & demand relative to the political environment is very similar. Remember those previously mentioned Summers and the seldom mentioned, though present, paranoia about "the big one" when Civilization would evaporate? We had LBJ in office, a War that was escalating, a new racial paradigm emerging, a recession and the accompanying unemployment. So today, BHO in office, a War that's escalating (Afghanistan), a perceived new social paradigm, etc,etc. Back in the aforementioned Summers people were buying Guns, Ammo, and Reloading supplies like crazy...hell, they were even scarfing up Archery components. Back then there was this taboo fear of a race war due to all the aforementioned changes. Obviously, all of the fears were not grounded in reality. So, here we see history replicating itself. I personally don't know what the current taboo fear is, it probably changes based on where one lives in the country.
My biggest concern, and I am TRULY amazed that know one has posed the BIG question... If you are one of those buying all these components ( I got to believe you read these Forums) are you an NRA Member, do you contribute to NRA ILA funds? Do you email your Representative and Senators with your opinions? Did you send them an "atta boy" for the Guns in National Parks attachment to the Spending Bill? We that support the 2nd Amendment are not supporting the 2nd Amendment just by feeding our shooting hobbies/sports. We need to be politically involved. Our opponents sure as hell are politically involved in hopes of depriving us of our rights. Think about it!
Old May 25, 2009, 12:20 PM   #372
traderdell

1911rocks Thank you for that post! I'm a Life Member of the NRA and contact my representatives regularly but never thought of sending them an atta boy. I will do so now.
Old May 26, 2009, 06:05 PM   #373
troy_mclure

stopped at 5 gun shops and 3 wally worlds today.
all the ww had ammo of all kinds except bulk .22.

4 of the 5 gun shops(1 cabelas) had primers, and ammo(except .22).
of the 4 shops that had primers only 1 was ridiculously priced.

i picked up 1k rem small pistol for $33 at cabelas.(best price).
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old May 27, 2009, 11:05 AM   #374
SnowNCycle

Just checked a webvender called Powder Valley....they say they have over 50 million primers on backorder alone.

The second amendment is not about hunting.
Old May 27, 2009, 07:25 PM   #375
Levant

Quote:
I mean huge retail chains like Cabela's, Wal-Mart and Academy. That is millions of dollars in lost revenue so far. How many times have anyone of us walked out of those places in the past after spending a 100 bucks in ammo alone for a (light) weekender? Even reloaders sometimes buy ammo in a crunch so we arent immune. I only know they arent landing here either!
I buy all my once-fired brass at Walmart. Well, actually it comes in a kit with bullet, powder, primer and brass. You take the round, put it in a gun, and manufacture your own once-fired brass and then reload that.