The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 4, 2014, 11:29 AM   #1
Longshot4

buckshot ok in full choke?

Is it safe to shoot buckshot threw a full choke? If not how large a shot would be ok?
Old May 4, 2014, 11:43 AM   #2
jmr40

The patterns might not be ideal, but buckshot is safe in a full choke. Not the extra full turkey tubes. Steel shot is not safe in a standard full choke either. If using steel use a standard modified tube as the tightest or use tubes specifically designed for steel
Old May 5, 2014, 09:39 AM   #3
PetahW

Buckshot is plenty safe.

After all, most Police/Military/Guard/Riot guns had short full-choke barrels.

BTW - Buckshot works very well for riot control, especially if the gun is aimed so the shot bounces off the pavement just in front of the target(s) - which allows the shot charge to pick up & carry along any detrius from the pavement, adding additional projectiles.

Old May 5, 2014, 10:08 AM   #4
Sharkbite

Ohh... No
Quote:
After all, most Police/Military/Guard/Riot guns had short full-choke barrels.
Just about all Police and Military guns have a cylinder bore (no choke at all). Some speciality guns had tighter chokes. I ran a modified tube in my Benelli M1 when i was working SWAT. Just to get a few more yards of useable pattern before doing a select slug drill

A cyl bore gun produces patterns that open up about 1" per yard... So at 25yards its about 25" around. A modified choke tightens that up to about 18-20" at the same distance

I guess the intended use should be spelled out. Remington made one heck of a low recoil/super tight patterning 8 pellet OO buck load. Gives up some horsepower to get the low recoil but man, does it pattern tight!!!!

Last edited by Sharkbite; May 5, 2014 at 10:43 AM.
Old May 5, 2014, 11:34 AM   #5
nc-oldfart

Longshot Most of that grew up hunting in the south florida swamps all of use started with shotguns. All had long barrel full chokes and the thing that rang true with all was O and OO did not pattern well . We would get together in groups and buy different brands and lengths of buckshot. Most of use found one length and brand shot best and you would buy a box and be good to go. The one shot that was used the most was 1buck, a couple 4bucks and one buddy had a modified bore and found O buck shot well in his. Most of use use 2 3/4" as it had the same max powder load and more velocity just a few less pellets.

I ain't gona tell you how far a deer could be killed as some non hunter will say that's not possible. My old springfield 67 12ga full choke 24" barrel liked federal 2 3/4" 1 buck best. Still have the last of those old rounds from my youth

So, bottom line is if you want to know what yours shotos best pick up a couple box's to try . Fold up a towel as a recoil buffer for between the stock and shoulder and take some shots.
Old May 5, 2014, 08:30 PM   #6
PetahW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkbite

Just about all Police and Military guns have a cylinder bore (no choke at all).
Some speciality guns had tighter chokes.

My experience, admittedly from the 1960/70's, is that several PD's in my area had corncob Ithaca M37's with 20" full-choked bbls & a small brass bead front sight as issue/squad car guns.

Old May 8, 2014, 09:32 AM   #7
Longshot4

Thanks to all for your input.