The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 30, 2014, 05:46 AM   #1
Lakota

Savage 219 b 30-30 Broke firing pin

Well I took that sweet 219 to the range the other day to try it out. Put on my ear plugs and safety glasses. Lock and load one round 30-30. Tucked her into my shoulder real nice and got cross hair on target took a breath let some out and squeezed the trigger and click let it sit for a few. Open the breach round flew out about 6' behind me. Picked it up and no firing pin mark.
Does any one know how and if it is hard to fix. I ordered a new pin but I don't know if I should attempt to fix it or have a Smith do it.
Old April 30, 2014, 09:48 AM   #2
PetahW

You've found out why the Savage 219/220 should never be dry-fired...............

The FP's are not hard to change (I got several from Numrich), but does take a little skill & manual dexterity.

Remove the barrel, forend & buttstock (throughbolt under the buttplate/pad).

Ensure the action is cocked, or cock it via levering the cocking rod next to the forward action sidewall "up".

The cocking will expose a small hole through the rearmost end of the mainspring strut - which should be temporarily pinned, before pulling the trigger to release the MS tension.

Remove the small FP retainer ( side of the upper action, even with the FP hole in the breechface), R&R the FP, remove the MS strut pin & re-cock the action.

ALWAYS "prove" the repair via snapping the FP/trigger on a primed/empty cartridge, since AFAIK, there are no .30-30 (or .22H) snap caps.

Old April 30, 2014, 11:50 AM   #3
Lakota

Petah

Thanks again. It seams you are the only one that knows any thing about these little rifles. I didn't dry fire it, but I got it at a pawn shop and there ain't no telling how many times it had been dry fired. I actually don't dry fire any of my guns. I guess I should have gone over it a little closer. I was just so intrigued with it and to get it for $125.00 I never thought to look that close. I did order two pins from Numrich yesterday. I have another question My Stevens 94c 410 receiver, accepts and locks in the barrel from the savage 219b and fires a empty 30-30 case should they be interchangeable.? and is it safe.
Old April 30, 2014, 04:02 PM   #4
Clark

I do not have a 219B, but I do have some 219 rifles that I like and a 219L that I dislike.
Taking the 219L apart to replace the firing pin is ok, getting the poorly designed and poorly made sheet metal parts back into place is a frustrating experience.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg savage 219b.jpg (115.2 KB, 116 views)
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old April 30, 2014, 04:50 PM   #5
Lakota

Thanks Clark
The diagram is nice but there are a bunch of numbers that don't say what parts they are. But believe me I do appreciate the cutaway to see what it looks like from the side. Petah said something about a small hole in through the rearmost end of the main spring strut. But I am not sure which is the main spring strut. I have looked all over for a small hole but I can't find it.

Thanks I do appreciate any help.
Whip
Old April 30, 2014, 07:01 PM   #6
Clark

Here are the names of those parts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sav 219B part names.jpg (105.5 KB, 131 views)
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old April 30, 2014, 07:20 PM   #7
Lakota

Thanks Clark

I truly appreciate yours and Pethas input. I will let y'all know how it works out.
Old May 1, 2014, 11:52 AM   #8
PetahW

The MS strut is the straight rod that the MS is wrapped around, which keeps MS from bending into a curve/etc during cocking/compression.

If the MS strut on your M219 is lacking the little hole I referred to, just cock the rifle (aka" compress the MS) and use a drill bit or something else to hold the MS in the compressed condition while switching out the FP.

Buy a Lone Ranger mask - you stole that 219B.

Old May 1, 2014, 01:55 PM   #9
Lakota

Found a Vintage Weaver scope for my Savage 219 b

Hay Petah
Thanks for the drill bit idea. A guy on another forum has a Vintage Weaver K 10 scope with mounts and rings. I bought it for $100.00 + $10.00 shipping. I hope I did as well on the scope as I did on the rifle. let me know what y'all think. You and Clark have been a great help so far. I can't wait to get it all together and try it out.

Old May 1, 2014, 01:56 PM   #10
Clark

Quote:
Lakota
$125.00
Quote:
PetahW .
Buy a Lone Ranger mask - you stole that 219B.
I have bought 4 of them:
$130 2/13/2003 Sav 219L-D 30-30 made in 1965 at gunshow
$150 2/12/2012 Sav 219 30-30 made in 1946 at gunshow
$275 1/19/2013 Sav 219 30-30 with 16 ga barrel and scope made in 1940 at gun show
$125 12/20/2013 Sav 219 30-30 with 12 ga barrels made in 1945 at pawn shop

For what you get, they are a lot of gun.
Old May 1, 2014, 02:02 PM   #11
Lakota

Hay Clark what book is that?
Old May 1, 2014, 03:36 PM   #12
Clark

potpourri of single shot rifles and actions frank haas 1993

Good luck finding that.