The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old December 28, 2011, 03:24 PM   #26
Hal

Quote:
Thanks for all the input guys. My buddy does get police trade-ins so I'm going to look into maybe getting a .22 and a 9mm. That way I could shoot the .22 a lot and work on learning the 9mm.
There's a whole nuther way of looking at this also....

Money was super, super, super tight when I learned how to shoot.*
I learned on a Smith and Wesson model 19 .357 mag/.38 spl.
I shot a box of .38 spl. and picked up a Lee pound em in pound em out reloader for $11.00.
That initial box of 50 shells lasted me a couple of years via reloading them.

I had to make each shot count. I couldn't afford to flub anything.
It was, literally, do it right or not do it at all.

I love my .22's - but - I also consider them a two edged sword.
Yes - they are cheap to shoot - but - there's always the temptation to dismiss a poor performance by thinking "It's only a cheap .22. I can do better next time and only be out a few pennies."
A 9mm or .38 spl is more "real life". In real life, you nearly always only get once chance & you better make that one chance count.

Once you've gotten the basics down - then you can move up to a .22 to refine them.

*I'd technically been shooting for a number of years - if you can call it that.
It was mostly making a lot of noise and hitting a lot of air, and once in a while a target.

Last edited by Hal; December 28, 2011 at 04:36 PM.
Old December 28, 2011, 10:03 PM   #27
johnwilliamson062

I can't afford shoot 9mm enough to get my trigger pull/control/whatever where I want it. Of course, for most need most people want need or want it where I want it.

A major benefit of the glocks is that you can buy one with nearly identical controls and such in whatever size you want.

If you buy a police trade in online and don't like it you can often sell it for the same or more to some chump at a gun show, so they are pretty safe bets.
Old December 28, 2011, 10:14 PM   #28
Lost Sheep

Just to repeat myself

One seldom mentioned advantage of starting with 22 is that it gets you on the range where you will get to see A LOT of different guns being shot and talk to those who shoot them in person.

Thanks to all the folks who also suggested the 22 option.

I did not think of the centerfire gun with 22 conversion. Probably because I don't own one. It is an excellent way to go, too.

Lost Sheep
Old December 28, 2011, 10:21 PM   #29
Lost Sheep

About reloading

I have reloaded my own ammunition (for my own guns) since the 51st round I ever shot.

I had to shoot factory rounds for the first 50 just the get some reloadable brass.

When I bought my first gun, I knew I could not afford to shoot centerfire if I didn't reload. I did not take my own advice about the 22 rimfire only because I knew I wanted to learn to reload and you can't reload rimfire.

But then, I already knew how to shoot from my military training.

My second, third and fourth guns were 22 rimfire.

Lost Sheep
Old December 28, 2011, 10:32 PM   #30
CMichael

Glock 19 or m&p c 9 mm
Old December 28, 2011, 11:27 PM   #31
Fargazer

I started to mention the .22 conversion, however, there are some catches with it that made me think otherwise:
  • They are pricey. Midway lists the TacSol for around $300; for that money, you may as well get a separate .22
  • This is a beginner to firearms. I would not want to complicate learning to shoot by introducing variables due to installing the .22 conversion back and forth.
    • The OP may or may not be mechanically inclined
    • The .22 conversions can be pickier on ammo and magazines than just getting a separate .22 pistol
I think the place for a .22 conversion is if you have to learn shooting with the same gun platform. For learning the basics, I think a separate .22 is more straightforward. As always, YMMV
Old December 29, 2011, 12:18 AM   #32
farmerboy

Glock 19
Old December 29, 2011, 06:48 AM   #33
Hal

Quote:
One seldom mentioned advantage of starting with 22 is that it gets you on the range where you will get to see A LOT of different guns being shot and talk to those who shoot them in person.
Given the huge number of "Range Seals" and "Exspurts" ( an ex is a has been and a spurt is a drip under pressure)........do you really view that as an advantage?

I see a lot of guns being shot - but - the ones I pay attention to shooting them are few and far between...

Quote:
An accurate 22 rimfire with decent sights will put you in that position at a low price. Think of a used S&W model 17 revolver, a Ruger, Smith, Colt or High Standard semi-autos
Therein lies the rub w/a .22.
A SW 17, Colt and High Standard - - nice guns - problem is the OP stated he has $700 max.
Those three tend to start around $500 and go up from there.
That's only when you can find one.
High Standards have dropped back some in price,,,but,,they still hover around the $700 mark.

Quote:
I gotta ask.....did the military use a .22 or did you just go to the .45acp or 9mm - depending on when you were in?
Old December 29, 2011, 10:15 AM   #34
C0untZer0

IMO the Army does a fairly good job of teaching soldiers basic marksmanship, basic rifle and how to shoot the M16.

From what I've seen, they did a lousy job teaching the average officer how to shoot the M1911A1.

MPs got good training on how to shoot a handgun, but the average officer did not.
Old December 29, 2011, 10:30 AM   #35
Stephanie B

I'd go with getting a .22. Unless you're a natural at it, handgun shooting is a skill that is not the easiest to acquire. It takes a lot of practice.

Once the initial cost of the handgun is paid out, the biggest cost of learning will likely be ammunition. If you want to become really good at it, then get a .22 and practice, practice, practice. (Or buy a centerfire and learn to reload, but go price out a good reloading setup, before you decide.)
Old December 29, 2011, 10:43 AM   #36
bossman

Quote:
I love my .22's - but - I also consider them a two edged sword.
Yes - they are cheap to shoot - but - there's always the temptation to dismiss a poor performance by thinking "It's only a cheap .22. I can do better next time and only be out a few pennies."
A 9mm or .38 spl is more "real life". In real life, you nearly always only get once chance & you better make that one chance count.

Once you've gotten the basics down - then you can move up to a .22 to refine them
If you're needing a CCW type gun for the real world I'd say a mid sized 9mm or a 38 spl revolver. Both are affordable to shoot enough to learn you're gun.

I know the 22 is a cheap way to start shooting, and I have a quite a few, but the truth is I hardly shoot any of them. I do like the centerfire rounds so much better than that little poof I get form a 22. I try to take them out every so often but quickly move on to the 38spl or 9mm for range time. I too think the 22 is double edge sword.

When the going gets tough, I just open another beer.
Old December 29, 2011, 01:40 PM   #37
sgms

You might consider a combo gun. Some thing like the EAA Witness Model 999175 is a 9 m/m single/double action that also comes with a 22 rimfire upper conversion unit. This would allow you to shoot the 9 and practice with 22 on the same frame, so same trigger pull, sight picture, and pistol controls. ( I suggested the EAA because the were selling 400-450 for the combo last add I saw. And of the 5 people I know that have them (my self included) love them.
Old December 29, 2011, 07:36 PM   #38
Lost Sheep

Military training only started me off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal

Quote:
Given the huge number of "Range Seals" and "Exspurts" ( an ex is a has been and a spurt is a drip under pressure)........do you really view that as an advantage?

I see a lot of guns being shot - but - the ones I pay attention to shooting them are few and far between...
Well, yeah, there's that. I did not mention that the OP should evaluate the gun handling skills of those he would pay attention to (or even stand near).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal

Quote:
I gotta ask.....did the military use a .22 or did you just go to the .45acp or 9mm - depending on when you were in?
Primarily, a 22 centerfire (M-16) 1973 through 1983, but also 40mm (M-79) and 7.62 (M-60). I also snuck into a .38 Special class and qualified expert, but that never made it onto my records.

Nowadays, I shoot 22 rimfire out of a trio of Ruger Mark IIs and a Dan Wesson, Ruger (Single six and SP101s) and Taurus (m94?) revolvers. 9mm out of a brace of M1951 Helwan Brigadiers (Beretta clones), Taurus M92 and M99 and a CZ99. 45 ACP out of a plethora of 1911s, one Taurus Millenium and a covertible Ruger Blackhawk 45 Colt/45 ACP. And .357s out of one Colt Trooper, an ancient Dan Wesson, a bevy of Ruger Security Sixes, SPs, GPs and a Blackhawk. I also do Redhawks and Super Redhawks in 44 Mag, 480 Ruger and 454 Casull. I think that covers it. Of COURSE I reload. I've GOT to.

Lost Sheep
Old December 30, 2011, 10:09 AM   #39
tet4

Lots of recommendations for glock 19, and that's a fine choice. However, I'd throw out another idea. I would suggest a 3" sp101. You would still have enough left over for a belt, holster and a few other things, and a basic reloading setup for 38 special if you really want.

The gun has a great balance between a service sized gun and a small snubby. It concealable but doesn't feel like a tiny little thing that's awkward to hold, and it has enough heft to make recoil manageable for a beginner. If you learn to shoot it well, you will almost certainly be able to shoot anything well.

Learning how to shoot doesn't require a huge round count - you should practice dry-firing where most of your technique is built and then when you are at the range use that time to confirm what you have been doing at home.
Old January 11, 2012, 03:08 PM   #40
DanJovi

first carry.

Look into the Diamondbacks. The 9mm is shaped like a glock but smaller for easier and more carry options.
Old January 11, 2012, 03:21 PM   #41
KBP

What handgun for first pistol/CCW

Buy a Ruger Sr9c. Its priced lower than the Glock, lower than the S&W M&P, lower than a Beretta and has them all beat in easy to carry size and has a good trigger. Manual safety(esp in your first pistol is good) and it has two different size mags that come with it. One for concealed carry(10+1) and another 17+1 for home defense or if you like a full size grip! I just bought one and I love it! You can buy cheaper and you can buy more expensive pistols, but in my opinion, you get the most bang for your hard earned dollars. Read the reviews on the Ruger!

Tags
ccw , first handgun