The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old December 3, 2019, 04:53 PM   #26
Jayhawkhuntclub

The reset on the King Cobra is terrible. First gun in 40 years that I had issues with the reset. The Ruger is capable, but has a mediocre trigger (if you have it worked on).
I'd go with the Smith.
Old December 3, 2019, 07:09 PM   #27
bjw741

Another one you might consider is the LCRx. Ruger just recently (finally!) began offering the LCRx in .357 with a 3" barrel. It will have a much better trigger feel than the SP101 and will be lighter for trail/hiking carry. Only 5 shots though.
Old December 4, 2019, 12:02 AM   #28
Pathfinder45

Another vote here for a longer barrel, like, 4-5/8". I hike with a Ruger Vaquero in 45 Colt. If I wanted to scale down, I would probably go with a New Vaquero in 357. But then I favor a single-action revolver.
Old December 5, 2019, 08:17 PM   #29
SATRP

Hi Guys,

I already have a 4" GP 100.

I want a smaller and lighter revolver for all day carry on hikes.

I darn near pulled the trigger on a Kimber. A friend told me to read as much as I could about Kimber.

I did pull the trigger on a 2.75" Model 66. It was a compromise.

It should be at my FFL early next week.
Old December 5, 2019, 08:31 PM   #30
dgludwig

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATRP View Post
Here are the three that I'm considering:

S&W Model 66 2.75"
Colt King Cobra 3"
Ruger SP 101 3"
Pick one. You'll be fine.
Yep; but with these caveats: If you prefer six shots over five (I do); you're down to the Smith and the Colt. If you insist on having the best da trigger pull of these two (I do), my pick is the Colt.
Old December 5, 2019, 10:24 PM   #31
CDR_Glock

Quote:
Originally Posted by SATRP View Post
Hi Guys,

I darn near pulled the trigger on a Kimber. A friend told me to read as much as I could about Kimber.

That ought to be fun to shoot.

I have a S&W Performance Center 627 2.5” 8 Shot 357 Magnum which I love.

It’s my concealed carry pistol, though.

I have this for the woods:

500 S&W 4”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old December 5, 2019, 10:27 PM   #32
rodfac

Quote:
Good choice, but I'd have opted for the longer 4" bbl. If concealment is a concern, it's the grip length that's more difficult to hide than another 1-1/4" of bbl. All that said, the 66 is a great gun, with a history in LEO use that's enviable. The newest Smith iteration is a good choice too, if that's what you bought. Truth be told, I really like and carry a Smith M60 with a 3" bbl. and have used it to finish two deer wounded by poor rifle marksmanship. 160 gr. LSWC's did the job from 15 yds...~1050 fps

For ammunition I'd suggest a good JHP for anything but bear defense. I load my own and like a LSWC doing roughly 1100 fps for defense use. Here on the farm for every day carry, plinking to putting down stock, that's more than enough.

Post again when you get it out to the range for your shake down sessions. I'd be interested in how it works out. BTW, I carry mine in a Tom Threepersons open top OWB holster of my own make,,,El Paso Saddlery makes a fine example, pricey but superb quality all the way.

HTH's Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old December 5, 2019, 10:41 PM   #33
Onward Allusion

Of the 3, I'd go with the S&W 66. However, I occasionally carry my S&W 627 under a shirt. Not many revolvers beat 8 rounds of 357 Mag.
Old December 5, 2019, 11:50 PM   #34
Omaha-BeenGlockin

I have a 2in SP101---its been more accurate than my 4in GP100 but haven't shot the GP nearly as much either.

I replaced the factory grip with a rubber Hogue grip(sub$20)---makes all the difference for me----full power .357s aren't bad at all.

Both triggers aren't that bad and get better with use---both are factory stock----replaced the hideous Hogue grip that comes with the GP100 with the old style Ruger factory grip with wood inserts and replaced the factory front sight with a fiber optic one---which makes the GP much more shoot able.

The Hogue rubber grips for SP and GP are very different animals.
-------Metallica
Old December 13, 2019, 05:26 AM   #35
hemiram

I'm picking up one of these in the morning:

Mine is a "658", but it looks the same as the one pictured.
Old December 20, 2019, 02:48 AM   #36
swissfist

I'd go with the Ruger. I own a Security Six in stainless 2.75 in barrel , load it with .38 +p or .357 mag full wadcutters. Not woods walking here, strictly to ward off bi ped-type critters. The weight definitely adds to superior control for me, but that's just me.
Old December 20, 2019, 02:50 PM   #37
labnoti

I would choose the one that can be best adapted toward supporting the purposeful pursuit of skill.

The Colt will have fixed sights unless you buy the larger target version. I'm not that familiar with the new Colts, but I'm skeptical of them and have strong doubt they are a good value for the high price.

That SP101 also has a fixed sight. Some longer-barreled versions have adjustable sights. The SP101 is also only 5-shot. This can be a hindrance when using a higher volume of cartridges in training classes.

The Model 66. I'm convinced it has the best trigger of the three. It has adjustable sights. It has a 6-shot cylinder.

I prefer adjustable sights not only because they're adjustable, but also because the rear blade always gives a more precise sight picture than just a gutter or even the Novak type dovetail sights. I also prefer adjustable sights because it means the frame is drilled and tapped and I can use an adapter plate for a red-dot sight. Maybe that's not something that's appealing to you now, but the more I shoot, the more I like the dot.

Whatever you get, I would send the cylinder to TK Custom and have them cut it for moon-clips and send you at least a package of 10 moon clips. They promise a fast turnaround which S&W and others like Cylinder and Slide may not. Get a BMT mooner/demooner. With that setup, you will have no trouble keeping up with the pistol shooters in classes. It will also make your practice time more productive provided you practice with a distinct plan and not just to burn through ammo.
Old December 20, 2019, 08:48 PM   #38
rodfac

Deleted...
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old December 21, 2019, 10:31 AM   #39
camsdaddy

I've had a few SP101's over the years. They always slip away for one reason or another. Normally I shoot a 357 through it and it rips my finger and I realize my model 60 has the same capacity and normally a better trigger in a smaller package.
Recently I purchased a 2"DAO 38 only SP101. The guy I bought it from had peri formed a trigger job. The trigger on this gun is amazing. I have a 3" 65 and a 4" 586. The SP has the best trigger of the three.
Old December 21, 2019, 10:46 AM   #40
John D

I carry that model 66 virtually every day on my ranch in No. AZ. Typically, three snake loads are followed by three hollow points. With practice, this pistol hits everything I need at the distances I would need to shoot. Other than dispatching one rattlesnake, it's only fired occasionally to scare off coyotes.
Old December 21, 2019, 11:34 AM   #41
chaim

Quote:
Hi Guys,

Congrats, good choice (not that any of them wouldn't have been). I love my 3" S&W 65LS. If I hadn't bought the Colt King Cobra I would have the new 66 with 2.75" barrel on my radar (though I like a 3" barrel better). I'm sure you're going to enjoy it, and it will definitely be noticeably smaller and lighter than your GP100.

So, with your expected arrival date, you've probably had it for a week or two now. Have you been able to get it out on the range yet? What do you think?
Old December 22, 2019, 04:09 PM   #42
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
I'll use it as a hiking/trail handgun in So Cal. It will be worn inside of an OWB holster.
that's a regular belt holster, right? worn outside the pants, on your belt or a dedicated gun belt??

IF so, why restrict your barrel to 3"? The bulk of a revolver is in the cylinder and grips, and an extra inch of barrel isn't much added bulk. 4" revolvers are common and do give measurable performance increase over shorter barrels especially with magnums.

Going to a 6" allows a significant increase and for me, anyway isn't a disaster worn in a belt holster. I can understand choosing a short barrel to save weight, but isn't choosing a heavy frame pistol kind of undoing that weight savings?

,357 too light for cats & bears? The biggest cats you're going to find in North America don't out mass the bigger humans, nor are they armor plated. They're FAST, but not heavily built, and none of them will fail to fall to a properly placed .357 bullet. Putting the bullet in the right place is always YOUR responsibility.

bears? we have endless threads about handguns for bear. They can be entertaining.
Old December 23, 2019, 09:35 AM   #43
Real Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 AMP View Post
that's a regular belt holster, right? worn outside the pants, on your belt or a dedicated gun belt??

IF so, why restrict your barrel to 3"? The bulk of a revolver is in the cylinder and grips, and an extra inch of barrel isn't much added bulk. 4" revolvers are common and do give measurable performance increase over shorter barrels especially with magnums.

Going to a 6" allows a significant increase and for me, anyway isn't a disaster worn in a belt holster. I can understand choosing a short barrel to save weight, but isn't choosing a heavy frame pistol kind of undoing that weight savings?

,357 too light for cats & bears? The biggest cats you're going to find in North America don't out mass the bigger humans, nor are they armor plated. They're FAST, but not heavily built, and none of them will fail to fall to a properly placed .357 bullet. Putting the bullet in the right place is always YOUR responsibility.

bears? we have endless threads about handguns for bear. They can be entertaining.
A 4+ barrel should provide a full length ejector, which if the grips allow, should be appreciated with magnum length brass. I think that is the ideal carry length unless crossdraw. Longer barrels are an issue when sitting, as we saw with horse soldiers and their 7 1/2" barrels. Same thing with simply sitting.
Old January 9, 2020, 11:59 AM   #44
blfuller

How about a new Python?