The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old August 2, 2015, 10:30 PM   #1
dajowi

CAIR Files Lawsuit Aginst Florida Gunshop

The law firm Morgan & Morgan, PA filed a lawsuit in the United States District Court on the behalf of the Council on American-Islamic Relations yesterday—alleging that Florida Gun Supply violated the Civil Rights Act of 1964 by denying access to public accommodations to Muslim-Americans, based solely on their religious beliefs.

I'm sure that everyone knew that this was coming.
Old August 2, 2015, 10:32 PM   #2
DanTSX

How would that be any different than denying patronage based on skin color?
Old August 2, 2015, 10:48 PM   #3
dakota.potts

This was not an unforeseen consequence.
Old August 3, 2015, 01:02 AM   #4
44 AMP
Staff

Our anti discrimination laws are very specific, and denial of services to members of a given religion is very clearly covered under the law(s).

I wish to remind all of the rules of this forum, and its strict enforcement policy.
Please, READ THEM before posting.

LAW & CIVIL RIGHTS

Discussion (and particularly rants) about religion are prohibited. There are other places on the net for that.
Old August 3, 2015, 06:06 AM   #5
Tom Servo
Staff

Here's a link with more details.

Florida Gun Supply posted a ludicrous video in response to the Tennessee recruitment center shooting. Andy Hallinan is the owner.

A store in New York made a similar statement at the behest of their board of directors.

Yes, it is illegal to discriminate on the basis of religion. Yes, Hallinan is stereotyping a broad range of people. Yes, he will lose the lawsuit. Yes, it makes the gun culture look bad.
Old August 3, 2015, 12:13 PM   #6
Glenn E. Meyer

I've cleaned up some posts that were not useful and replies to such.

I would suggest folks look at the last posts by Tom Servo and 44 AMP.
Old August 3, 2015, 12:19 PM   #7
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveno
so how does a store get away with posting a sign that says no service when not wearing a shirt , shoes or some other piece of clothing? why isn't this the same thing?
Quote:
Originally Posted by P5 Guy
Does this mean that an FFL can only refuse to sell to those denied by the instant background check?
Discrimination is legal unless made illegal by some law. But we have federal and state statutes making discrimination on certain, specific grounds by businesses open to the public illegal. Religion is one of those grounds.

So a business can't refuse to do business with me because I'm a Jew or a Muslim or an atheist. But a business can refuse to do business with a Jew or a Muslim or an atheist for other, good, business reasons.

So, for example, if a Jew, Muslim or atheist comes into your gun shop and it looks like he's doing something fishy (participating in a straw purchase, his identification looks phony, he told you he wanted the gun to rob a liquor store with, he's drunk, etc.) you can toss him out even though he his a Jew or a Muslim or an atheist. But you need to be able to articulate your legal, good, business reason.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Old August 3, 2015, 03:47 PM   #8
FITASC

M&M is also a very liberal, TV-advertising, ambulance-chasing law firm. They, like other FL lawyers of late, love to go after the headlines.........

Personally, the gunshop owner, while a nice guy, should have simply kept his mouth shut and gone about his business.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old August 3, 2015, 04:46 PM   #9
raimius

If you discriminate against people, based on religion, skin color, etc, your business deserves to get hit with such a law suit. It is illegal and (in my opinion) immoral.

Just because someone or some group shares my/our views on 2nd Amendment rights does not automatically make them a good person or business.
Old August 3, 2015, 06:06 PM   #10
Tom Servo
Staff

OK, we've established that the owner's actions are legally discriminatory. Beyond that, there's not much to discuss here.
Closed Thread