The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 20, 2011, 09:34 PM   #1
UtopiaTexasG19

Initial Wetting Of Lube Pad...

On a new, never used, full casing lube pad how much oil do you apply? Can you apply too much? Thanks...
Old July 20, 2011, 10:19 PM   #2
USMC Vet

initial lubing of lube pad

Yes, you can over lube (which is usually my problem). Normally on a new pad, I will pour 1 1/2-2 tbsp. of lube onto the pad, and slowly massage it into the pad with my fingertips, until a majority of the lube has been absorbed. I will then let the pad sit covered in a corner for a day or two. At that point, most of the lube has been absorbed into the pad. A little of that lube goes a fur piece.
USMC Vet
Old July 21, 2011, 07:08 PM   #3
603Country

Way back when, I tried to use that flat RCBS lube pad, and rolled the brass gently over it, but I got either too much lube or too little on the brass. Too much caused case dents, and I found that I didn't need to lube the whole darn case anyway. I cleaned my dies and threw away that flat store-bought pad. I got an old towel and cut a piece about 12 inches square and folded it to about 3 or 4 inches square and saturated it good with RCBS lube. When I resize, I just lightly twirl the bottom inch or so of the case on the edge of the folded and lubed up towel. That's all the lube that I need. The old folded towel looks pretty nasty these days, and is truly lube saturated. I keep it in a plastic bag when I pack up my gear after I do all my loading. That'd work for ya if you aren't loading hundreds of rounds at a sitting.
Old July 22, 2011, 07:02 AM   #4
Rifleman1776

I started using Dillon spray lube and never looked back.
Pads are messy and inefficient.
Old July 22, 2011, 07:14 AM   #5
alloy

Didn't do any initial lube of the pad, but I use about 8-9 drops along the pad.
Generally there's enough in hand to size 3 or 4 cases for every one that I pick off the pad.
That's some good stuff that rcbs, a bottle lasts a long time, washes off with no soap, haven't stuck a case yet etc. First kind I tried and probobly the last.
Old July 22, 2011, 11:55 AM   #6
Jim243

Small misting bottle, a small amount of Lee Resizing Lube, couple oz of rubbing alcohol. Liberally spray, wait 10 min, alcohol will evaporate and leave a nice even film of lube on the cases, then resize. I do 50 at a time.

Jim

Last edited by Jim243; July 22, 2011 at 12:02 PM.
Old July 22, 2011, 12:20 PM   #7
AllenJ

I run a small bead of lube the length of the case onto the lube pad, then work it in with my finger for a few seconds rubbing the same direction as I'm going to roll the cases. The first few cases I lube I'll roll one at a time, very lightly over the pad. As the lube gets used up I'll roll up to 5 at a time back and forth across the lubed area. So far this has worked perfectly for me.
Old July 22, 2011, 12:43 PM   #8
farmerboy

i use prob 1/2 tsp maybe (about 10 or so drops) roll on pad with finger tip. let soak in for about 1 min. and youre good to go. Love rcbs lube pad and a bottle will last for years for average reloader. Once you get your own system down you will love it.