The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old January 24, 2000, 08:09 PM   #1
Dan

I've been looking for the right surplus military bolt action rifle to satify my lust for a new (well new to me) rifle. In my online searching I came across an image of a Spanish FR-7/8.

I found a short history on it, a rebarreled mauser in 7.62 NATO using CETME barrels (the same barrels used in HK rifles, I think).

Looks neat.

Anybody got any info on it? Specifically are they worth owning? I'm looking for a shooter, not really a collector piece. Also price, availability and where I might locate a suitable specimin would be great info.

Help....

------------------
Dan

Si vis pacem para bellum!

Check me out at:
<A HREF="http://www.mindspring.com/~susdan/interest.htm" TARGET=_blank>

www.mindspring.com/~susdan/interest.htm</A>
www.mindspring.com/~susdan/GlocksnGoodies.htm

Old January 26, 2000, 11:00 PM   #2
Walt Sherrill

I read a discussion on this recently on the Curio & Relics list. I think I remember it correctly -- but my apologies if I screw it up. The gist:

Be careful that these aren't 7.62 Cetme caliber (which was Spain's own caliber, similar to the 7.62 Nato, but not interchangeable with.) That's different and much less hot than the 7.62 NATO -- which shouldn't be shot in a 7.62 Cetme weapon.