The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 15, 2011, 07:41 AM   #1
tpcollins

Cleaning brass - tumbler, vibrator, or solution?

About the only thing left for me to get is something to clean brass. It appears that some sort of a vibrator bowl is the most popular, but I was wondering how many use a simple "rock tumbler" type or just uses some sort of magic solution to clean brass - and how effective each one is? Thanks.
Old April 15, 2011, 08:14 AM   #2
PA-Joe

Have never liked wetting a case, too hard to dry them. Vibrator or round tumbler makes no difference. Inspect each case to make certian that the primer hole is clear and there is no left over media in the case. Also don't overload the tumbler with too many cases.
Old April 15, 2011, 08:55 AM   #3
Gary Wells

Dillon Vibrator & tumbler, although there are other good brands. Clean before depriming and you do not have to worry about whether the primer pocket has any media material in it from vibrating. I use a small amount of auto liquid polish in with the media. A dryer sheet or two will help keep the media clean by collecting the dirt & dust from the media. After vibrating, tumble enough to remove any remaining media.
Old April 15, 2011, 08:58 AM   #4
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

This has been discussed until the cows come home and whip the dead horse....

http://thefiringline.com/forums/sear...archid=5204183
Old April 15, 2011, 09:39 AM   #5
HJ857

I use a dual drum rock tumbler from Harbor Freight. I have to replace the drive belt every four months or so but otherwise its been working well for a good four years so far.

The only real downside is limited rifle case capacity. I can get around 250 .223 cases per run (125 per drum), but a good 500 9mm cases.

You can size and decap before tumbling, or not depending on your preference.

I size and decap .223 and then tumble, for 9mm I tumble cases for 30-60 minutes, rinse and then size and decap while they're still wet, then tumble again for another hour or two.

.223 brass also gets tumbled for 30-60 minutes, rinsed and tumbled again for an hour if I just want "clean" brass, and two or three hours if I want "new" looking brass.

I use a few drops of dishwashing liquid and a shot of lemon juice in each drum. If the total tumble time is three hours or more, the brass comes out extremely shiny. A tumble time of two hours or less will give you a dull, satin sort of finish and may have carbon residue still on the cases.

Using a water soluble case lube will make wet tumbling more effective, otherwise you're relying on detergent to remove case lube.

I bought a used toaster oven from a pawn shop for 20 bucks and use it to dry brass. 150 degrees for 45 minutes will dry all the brass inside and out. I've been doing this for a few years now and have never seen any indications that heat drying in this manner has a detrimental effect on the casings.
Old April 15, 2011, 10:19 AM   #6
Unclenick
Staff

Gary,

It depends on the size of the media. I once broke a decapping pin in a case that was tumbled before decapping and apparently got a piece of media wedged into the flashhole from the inside.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old April 15, 2011, 11:35 AM   #7
Rifleman1776

Like anything gun related, you will find proponents of all methods. I use, and like, my Lyman tumbler with walnut media and Dillon polish.
Old April 15, 2011, 12:43 PM   #8
Dave R

I use an old rock tumbler with good effect. Corncob media (just cuz I've never tried walnut.) I sometimes add a tsp. of car polish to the media if I want real shiney brass. But dull brass does not affect accuracy.
Old April 15, 2011, 02:37 PM   #9
SL1

If you are going for a "rock" tumbler

then I suggest wet tumbling with stainless steel "pin" media.

Rotary tumblers seem slower than vibrating tumblers with dry walnut or corn cob media, but MUCH faster with a water solution and stainless steel media. And, the stainless will clean the inside and outside of the case, plus the primer pockets too, if you decap, first. It just costs a bit more to get started, but the stainless media lasts practically forever.

SL1
Old April 15, 2011, 03:19 PM   #10
KW Gary M

I use the Cabela's store brand vibrating tumbler with Cabela's brand corn cob media. I can do about 3,000 cases between changing the media and it works great. Very reasonably priced. The Tumbler was $29.99 and a 10 pound bag of media was $8.99.

As a general rule I have been very happy with Cabela's store brand products.
Old April 15, 2011, 03:26 PM   #11
Utahar15

KW Gary M

I used the same one. Paid like $45 for the kit they sell.
Old April 15, 2011, 05:46 PM   #12
amamnn

What Pete said
Old April 16, 2011, 12:16 PM   #13
Gary Wells

Previously posted by Unclenick:
Gary,
"It depends on the size of the media. I once broke a decapping pin in a case that was tumbled before decapping and apparently got a piece of media wedged into the flashhole from the inside."

I don't doubt what you say, but over the years I have reloaded well over 25K rounds of .45 auto on a Dillon 550, I have never broke a decapping rod / pin. I don't know what my media is, but it is very fine and was originally used for pet stores to sell for the bottom of birdcages / mice cages. I just like to clean prior to press work.
Old April 17, 2011, 04:16 PM   #14
Unclenick
Staff

Gary,

If you're using Dillon dies, that's no fair. They have probably the strongest decapping pins in the industry. I've never broken a Dillon decapping pin, either, and I've probably got closer to 75K rounds through my Square Deal B.

The problem I had was with an RCBS die. It's pins are held in a small chuck on the end of the expander rod. They sell replacement packs of 5 to 50. I think that tells the story.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle