The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 6, 2010, 09:56 PM   #1
Huskerguy

New or old Lee Auto Primer or something else?

I have had two of the old model Lee Auto Prime tools for many years. One is over 25 years old but I have not used it consistently over those years. The handle broke which I read is a common problem and Midway has them for $2.09 each.

Now I see Lee is producing a new Auto Prime tool called the XR. The reviews are mixed so far.

Has anyone used both and what are your experiences?

Is there something better out there for hand priming?

Maybe I just need to stock up on handles and call it a day
Old October 6, 2010, 11:26 PM   #2
jmortimer

I know you probably grease the contact points as recommended but I keep mine greased-up and the primers seat with so little force I just don't see how they can break - but they do - mine never have in over 10 years. Like many reloaders, I've got two, one for LP and one for SP and I just love mine.

Last edited by jmortimer; October 7, 2010 at 09:15 AM.
Old October 7, 2010, 01:58 AM   #3
Lost Sheep

On-press

I have and RCBS Bench priming tool, Lee Auto-Primes, and an RCBS hand primer.

They sit unused. I prime on the press.

My Rock Chucker gives excellent feel (very light with the compound leverage, but good feel nonetheless).

My Lee Pro-1000 presses do well, but the primer feeding is problematic, so I am replacing them with a Lee Classic turret.

My Lee Classic Turret with the Lee Safety Prime does much better (except for the last two primers) and does not slow me down like priming off-press does.

Lost Sheep
Old October 7, 2010, 02:06 AM   #4
Lost Sheep

Coincidence?

Check this thread. Same question.

http://forums.accuratereloading.com/...3/m/5761046141
or if the link does not work, paste this into your browser
forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2511043/m/5761046141

Lost Sheep
Old October 7, 2010, 04:48 AM   #5
FrankenMauser

If I were going to replace my existing hand priming tool, I would go for the RCBS Universal Hand Prime.

However....
If you already have the Auto Prime shell holders (and 2 Auto Primes), stocking up on handles is definitely the cheaper option.
Old October 7, 2010, 08:46 AM   #6
wncchester

" Like many reloaders, I've got two, one for LP and one for SP and I just love mine."

Ditto. For 25 years. A little lube and paying attention seems to make them run a LOOONG TIME!

IF one of my Lees breaks I will replace it with the new type but, so far, it looks like that won't be an issue.
Old October 7, 2010, 12:11 PM   #7
GWS

I've used Lee hand primers since they were invented.

Nearly two years ago I bought RCBS's Pro 2000 progressive with its APS strip priming system. So...now, when ever I can, I buy my primers in boxes of strips (at prices similar to normal boxes of primers). And when I want something besides CCI, I load them into strips using the RCBS strip loader, then store them away. Point is, unless I "reserve" a few boxes for Lee hand priming operations, primers are ready to load, no tube or tray loading necessary.

So...I've been tempted these last 24 months to try RCBS's APS handprimer, with it's universal case holder, and I finally broke down and bought one 2 months ago.

Giddy describes the experience when I tried it out!
  • Grabbed a box of LR primers of the shelf, loaded a strip, inserted a .308 case, pressed the handle, perfect.
  • inserted more cases, and pressed the handle 5 more times, pulled the partly used strip out.
  • Grabbed box of LP primers, loaded a strip, inserted a 45 ACP case, press the handle, perfect.
  • Inserted and pressed 5 more times, pulled out the partly used strip.
  • Changed primer rod to small (10 seconds), Grabbed a box of SR primers, pushed a strip in, inserted a .223 case, press, perfect.
  • Case insertion and press repeated 20 times, snapped another strip to to the previous one, and primed 25 more...snap in another strip...25 more...etc.
And the Universal case holder works and works well, and strips are color-coded by type, so you never get them mixed up. Loaded strips are stuck to paper label-like backers for storage...where you can write primer brand on the back. Oh, and one more thing, my arthritic slightly arthritic hands, thumbs and fingers, thank me every day.
I gave away my trusty, and perfectly good Lee and all my shell holders to a friend I liked, who needed a hand primer. (kept the original, emotionally attached to the 35+ year-old little one, I guess).

PS: If you are even tempted to check it out, but you don't have a Pro 2000...so what...buying a strip loader is all that's necessary. You can load 4 strips of 25 in the same time it takes to peck a 100 into a tube....and the best part...you can then store it away for instant use anytime. Think of it as a new co-CSI watching activity. Tray users....are you going to load lots of trays, and store 'em for a couple of months? Right.

Yes, it's pricey compared to the Lees. Specially adding a strip loader. But you'll never feel it in 6 months, it just ain't that much...trust me...and if you hand prime all your loads, it will be considered one of your best tool purchases.

What made me finally break down and try it? Favorite Tool Review @ 6mmBR.com******** BTW it's on sale this month at Midway.

Last edited by GWS; October 7, 2010 at 12:47 PM.
Old October 7, 2010, 02:24 PM   #8
Dr. Strangelove

Quote:
If I were going to replace my existing hand priming tool, I would go for the RCBS Universal Hand Prime.

However....
If you already have the Auto Prime shell holders (and 2 Auto Primes), stocking up on handles is definitely the cheaper option.
My answer as well. I use the RCBS now, but if I buy another, it will be with a universal shell holder. It's just too much of a pain to change, plus my RCBS only likes RCBS shell holders, so I end up having to buy those as well, since I use Lee die sets.
Old October 7, 2010, 03:53 PM   #9
alloy

The RCBS universal is the only one I've tried, no complaints at all after several thousands so for me it was a good first choice.
Old October 7, 2010, 05:47 PM   #10
Huskerguy

Hey Lost Sheep - it looks like the same questions from someone else.

And yes I keep mine greased up real well.

The Lee is a very good value, no doubt about it. I am just trying to determine if there is something that competes overall for price and efficiency. And as someone mentioned I am not excited about getting an entire new set of shell holders either.
Old October 7, 2010, 06:39 PM   #11
Dave R

I used to use my RCBS universal hand prime. Nice since it uses the same shellholders as the press.

But once I got my Lee turret press, I always prime on the press, now.
Old October 7, 2010, 07:08 PM   #12
wncchester

"I am not excited about getting an entire new set of shell holders either. "

If you are thinking of costs, the whole set of Lee prime tool shell holders costs no more than the difference in the prices of the Lee AutoPrime and the RCBS tool. And the Lee shell holders are MUCH easier to swap.
Old October 7, 2010, 10:24 PM   #13
GWS

Quote:
The Lee is a very good value, no doubt about it. I am just trying to determine if there is something that competes overall for price and efficiency. And as someone mentioned I am not excited about getting an entire new set of shell holders either.
Something that competes for price and efficiency?? Don't want a new set of shellholders.??

Analysis time: First of all the old Lee Autoprime is gone, long live the Lee Autoprime XR. Shell holders are the same. I know you already have yours, but we're comparing Price and value. At Midway you pay $18.00 for a new XR. and $13.00 for a set of shell holders. Total cost $31.00 plus shipping.

The next best value is the tray loading RCBS Universal. Right now it's $47.50 at Midway. NO Shellholders to buy...nada.

Difference price-wise is a whopping $16.50. These days that's one trip to a fast-food restaurant with your wife...big deal. You won't miss the difference in a couple of weeks.

Now lets talk value. Does ergonomics count? Does not having to change shellholders, keeping track of them, even finding the one you need count, how about leverage? The RCBS has just enough more to make good feel, with less effort. It's a "good thing" that Lee finally changed the handle. The old handle is a thumb handle. While you can squeeze it RCBS style in the web of your hand with your fingers, it can start hurting after 25 or so. We will see if the new handle helps enough. The RCBS is big and fits in an adult hand...way more comfortable. (see the picture in my first post.)

So in answer to your question, IMO the RCBS is very competitive. Wouldn't you pay $16.50 if Lee offered parts to upgrade your tool to have the features that RCBS offers?

As for the RCBS APS version of the same tool. (same price at Midway too) But you add another $40 bucks...for the strip loader. That added cost is breaks the deal for many, and its too bad, because the value is there in spades. How long will you miss 40 bucks? If you didn't read 6mmbr.com's review in my first post...take a few minutes.

Last edited by GWS; October 8, 2010 at 10:03 AM.
Old October 8, 2010, 08:00 AM   #14
Don P

Quote:
The handle broke which I read is a common problem and Midway has them for $2.09 each.
17,000+ rounds without a problem. Just received my new Lee auto prime. Finally a square tray.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old October 8, 2010, 10:00 AM   #15
GWS

Don,
So give us a report on the new handle. Does it make a difference? How do you rate the comfort improvement? And how about the new mechanism that feeds only one and separates it from the rest of the tray?
Old October 9, 2010, 04:28 PM   #16
Don P

The new handle is shaped like a spoon with a nice curve for the thumb to push on. I primed up half a dozen cases and it worked just fine. I like the square trays. Easy to load up and now there is no restriction on the large primers like before at only 20 per the mfg's instructions. The handle that the trays attach to is the same. The plunger is different as well as the trays and handle that attachés to the plunger. If it works as well as it did out of the box IMO Lee has a winner for short money.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old October 9, 2010, 04:43 PM   #17
TXGunNut

Hmm...can't wait for my Auto Prime to break so I can upgrade to the new XR. Might as well put one on the shelf but my last "spare" stayed in the box for 10-15 yrs IIRC.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old October 9, 2010, 06:34 PM   #18
GWS

There's another choice for you, you know. Order the new tool....and put the old one on the shelf...being that its supposed to be way more comfortable and safer to use. Geeze, use the old one for your backup.
Old October 9, 2010, 06:48 PM   #19
TXGunNut

Thanks, GWS. Why didn't I think of that?
I'd need two tho. Like other posters I keep two on the shelf, one in each size.

My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old October 10, 2010, 01:28 AM   #20
GWS

Or........If you bought the RCBS Universal APS you wouldn't need two. 6 second primer size change and no trays to fill if you just buy CCI's already loaded in strips. Just change, insert new sized strip and prime. My local component supplier will order all the strip-loaded CCI primer I want for .50 more that the conventional CCI's.

Nobody will believe me! I say they are missing out on a vast improvement in primer handling, whether on a progressive, hand primer or bench primer. Improved as the new Lee may be, it's still old less efficient technology.

Using the change tool to unscrew one size primer rod and screw-in the other...6 seconds. No take apart of the primer tool necessary. No tubes or trays to load, no shell holders to look for and change. Just prime...1 or a thousand, no interruptions.

Last edited by GWS; October 10, 2010 at 01:41 AM.
Old October 10, 2010, 06:37 AM   #21
sirrah243

My handle broke. I called LEE and they sent me a new handle free of charge. I bought two extra handles from them shipping and all was only $8.00
Old October 11, 2010, 08:19 PM   #22
bgdv1

been using my lee autoprime for 20+ years now with only 1 broken handle and lee replaced it.hopefully it goes for another 20 + years.
Old October 11, 2010, 09:19 PM   #23
Sport45

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWS
Nobody will believe me!
I believe you! If the handle ever breaks on my LEE, I'll take a long, hard look at the RCBS. I think it looks good. Tell me more about what it takes to load primers into the strips.

If I prime a lot of rifle cartridges in a setting, the Lee does aggravate the arthritis in my thumb joints. The RCBS looks easier, like you squeeze with your whole hand?
Old October 12, 2010, 12:37 PM   #24
GWS

Quote:
I believe you! If the handle ever breaks on my LEE, I'll take a long, hard look at the RCBS. I think it looks good. Tell me more about what it takes to load primers into the strips.

Gavin at Ultimatereloader.com has done video of loading .45acp on the RCBS Pro 2000. At the very beginning of the video he demonstrates the process. He does pretty good at it. He only shows one strip-worth, but most people can visualize that the 3 more strips he loads only takes a second or two. Pecking primers in a tube isn't faster (done that more times than I wanted to).

The learning curve is short and really consists of getting a feel for pressing the lever down the right amount to allow the strip to slide over the pegs that go in each primer hole, and aligning the strips. The rounded-top pegs help line the strip up so the primers naturally fall into place...the lever just pushes them in. There are marks on each end where the strips go, to line up strip ends visually with the pegs. Watch the process on the Video Keep in mind that Gavin is not an RCBS user other than as he demonstrated these videos. Unfortunately, on his .357 video he pretty much demoed what NOT to do using the APS system as he kept running the press handle and stacking primers above the primer rod. But other than that he did pretty darn good for the amount of learning curve time/practice he experienced.

If I prime a lot of rifle cartridges in a setting, the Lee does aggravate the arthritis in my thumb joints. The RCBS looks easier, like you squeeze with your whole hand?
Yes, you squeeze your whole hand...and the leverage is better, but not so much that you can't feel it. When I first got my RCBS APS Hand Primer I posted a review on AR15.com. Its in the Sticky Thread call "Gateway to Interesting threads..." here's the link if you want to peek at it. I kicked myself for not buying one 2 years ago when I first looked at the review on 6mmBR.com

Do keep in mind that if you want to load all your Winchester, Wolf, etc. in strips....you do have to buy empty strips/backing at Grafs, Powder Valley, or Midway. $5/8 strips of one color.(unless you have empties from loading pre-stripped CCI's...which in case you call RCBS and they send you free backing labels that you mount four strips on each...FREE...so you can store them in boxes, or plastic drawers.) The strips are color-coded for kind of primers, and reuseable. The strip holes are large or small, and I write the brand/type info on the labels as I stick strips to the backing labels. I can load a lot a strips during a DVD movie...and its definitely not an aggravation, when you consider missing the aggravation of messing with tubes on a bench, or press-mounted primer...or having to change and fill and refill trays.

And finally priming is safe. No sideways or upsidedown primers ever...as long as you do your job and flip your primers completely before you load a strip..and that is a piece of cake.

Last edited by GWS; October 12, 2010 at 01:05 PM.
Old October 18, 2010, 03:48 PM   #25
asavo757

broken handle

I broke the handle off mine that is 20 years old called lee they sent me anew handle free think about it same modle 20 years later must be good!!