The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old April 18, 2010, 10:50 PM   #1
ScottRiqui

How "physical" are IDPA/USPSA matches?

I'm interested in trying some competitive shooting, but here's the (potential) problem:

I'm 39 years old and in good shape, but I have about a dozen screws and an 18" metal rod in my right knee/lower leg from a motorcycle accident. So anything that involves a lot of running or dropping quickly into a kneeling position is right out.

Are these kinds of activities a big part of competitive shooting?
Old April 19, 2010, 06:50 AM   #2
lmccrock

There are some physical movements involved, and there will be times when shooting through a low port then getting up and moving to another position is required. It might be slow for you, but if you can do it safely (muzzle downrange), then no problem.

Steel Challenge matches involve less movement, but no low ports, so might be a good starting point.

Lee
Old April 19, 2010, 07:04 AM   #3
rduckwor

IDPA Match Directors will usually make allowances for physical infirmities at least in local matches. Probably the same for USPSA. Go out and talk to them and give it a try.

It's a good time shooting with nice folks.

Not too many of us are in it to win.
Old April 19, 2010, 07:46 AM   #4
Don P

Quote:
IDPA Match Directors will usually make allowances for physical infirmities at least in local matches. Probably the same for USPSA. Go out and talk to them and give it a try.
I agree with the IDPA part and have no knowledge if USPSA would do so. In IDPA YOU move at a speed YOU are comfortable with. There is a lot more running in USPSA. That discipline is based on speed and accuracy. It's all about having fun in the end and as I have found IDPA is all of that and more. All I can suggest is attend a match as a spectator and talk to those involved. Everyone I have met so far is more than willing to talk and answer all questions you may have and it will give you a chance to talk with the match director and get his take on you physical limitations with regards to shooting a match. So far all I have seen is kneeling. Nothing going prone yet and I will have a problem with that because of my surgery.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old April 19, 2010, 08:10 AM   #5
WESHOOT2

directed at USPSA (but I've shot IDPA, too)

I've shot with a one-armed man (club member, until he got married ), one in a wheelchair, one 92 yrs old, and 10-yr-old boys and girls.

I was in a catastrophic scoot-wreck in 1984, and I don't bend well. I've recently had elbow surgeries on my strong-side elbow, and shot weak-handed with my other arm in a sling. I shot matches before and after hernia surgery.
I've had to be helped up before.......

Oh, and there are provisions in the rules for scoring those with physical limitations. So go; it's riotous good fun, and you'll be glad.

Last edited by WESHOOT2; April 19, 2010 at 08:39 AM. Reason: hurts typing this; seeing Doc today
Old April 19, 2010, 10:04 AM   #6
Glenn E. Meyer

It also depends on your goal in the match. Is it to shoot in a more challenging environment than solitary paper punching and compete against yourself? Or is to compete against others?

The USPSA matches have a lot of weight on young guys running at speed across open distances and blazing away. IDPA, not so much.

You can avoid the kneeling by simply accepting a penalty and shoot as you feel you would in real life - tell the SO first. So forget about winning and just compete against yourself and try to improve. Some matches will give you a dispensation against the penalty but how that figures into the ranking - don't know.

Where I shoot, there is a gentleman who is extremely challenged by a stroke. He takes a long time to shoot and move. Who cares, he is very dedicated and courageous!

Most clubs I know would be very supportive.
Old April 19, 2010, 11:42 AM   #7
Jim Watson

Well, I am going to find out before long. I have been convalescing from a broken pelvis, injured as per the thread at:
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=396002

I am walking with a cane right now, I will do some testing to see if I am safe with a cane in one hand and a pistol in the other. If not, I will just keep up with the physical therapy until I can walk without artificial support before going back to IDPA. Our club has a strong .22 program and I can get back into shooting from a benchrest almost immediately upon my return home.
Old April 20, 2010, 07:49 AM   #8
WESHOOT2

brudda from anudda mudda

Just do it!

And I hope you feel healthy doing it.

And I hope it all goes very well for you.
Old May 4, 2010, 11:35 PM   #9
Gryff

Of the two, IDPA is the better choice for people with physical issues. IDPA limits stage designs a total movement distance of 15 yards, with no single distance movement of more than 10 yards. USPSA doesn't have these types of distance limitations.
Old May 15, 2010, 04:49 AM   #10
softmentor

I shoot IPSC, but I hear it's not that much different. I'm an old fat guy with bad knees (ever since little league, and they haven't gotten better with the years) and an even worse back. I still shoot about middle of the pack at my local club on an average day. Actually, haven't been shooting this year, do to job and $ but, have enjoyed many a good shoot. I also shoot with my duty gear gun and mag holsters so that slows me down a bit more, but I shoot because I enjoy the personal challenge of improving myself, and because the other folks are good folks to be around. As a side benefit, its a way to keep competent in case the day ever came I needed to use it for self defense, at least I would know how to handle the gun safely.
Sure, if I had good knees, I could move up a little, but I can only remember one stage where it was a big problem. Most stages it is not even a factor, a few it's a minor nuisance. getting a "race gun", optics, and speed holsters would probably move me up a little too, but I don't need to win first place to enjoy a little friendly competition. If I improve myself, I feel I have won. It's a lot of fun, go out and give it a try.
Old May 15, 2010, 07:41 AM   #11
GaryM&P

As Glenn mentioned it all depends on what your goals are. With your limitations you will never be a National Champion in either IDPA or USPSA.

If your goal is to get more proficient with a firearm or to have fun why not do it?

I've been competing for 22 years. Due to my age and physical issues I'm not half as good now as I was 15 years ago. In the last seven months I've had more trips to the hospital than I've had to the shooting range. I have 12 screws in my hands.

Do you think I'm going to give up just because I no longer see my name at the top of the match results page? Hell no!

Last edited by GaryM&P; May 15, 2010 at 08:39 PM.
Old May 16, 2010, 04:31 AM   #12
1911rocks

Like a pair of Nikes

Just Do it!! I would say IDPA. Don't let others set your goals. If you're going to do it to be competitive with others IDPA or GSSF (yeah you'll constrained to a Glock) is the only way to go. IPSC or USPSA doesn't have "accommodations" like IDPA or GSSF. I shoot IPSC and USPSA and they are both pretty physical. Again, you could shoot, but, don't get discouraged by the other guys. JUST DO IT!!! Besides, it's your Right, exercise it!!
Old May 16, 2010, 01:52 PM   #13
johns7022

What I found...

It's a competition...some people are stressed and ramped up...that's adrenaline and heartbeat elevation..

Secondly, for the peeps that try to win, they move as fast as they can to get the accurate shot, then move on...I have seen peeps run and shoot...

It over fast, so it's not about stamina, but more about instant stress..

You can shoot it slow the first time, I did...just to understand the rules, go for accuracy...actualy...when I did it, I had one of the lowest scores, but was given honorable mention for having the highest accuracy for the day..

I figured that's the way to go...always be accurate, then speed it up, shooting at a speed to maintain that accuracy...

The fastest AND most accurate shooters win...
Old May 16, 2010, 01:52 PM   #14
Gryff

Quote:
Just Do it!! I would say IDPA. Don't let others set your goals. If you're going to do it to be competitive with others IDPA or GSSF (yeah you'll constrained to a Glock) is the only way to go. IPSC or USPSA doesn't have "accommodations" like IDPA or GSSF. I shoot IPSC and USPSA and they are both pretty physical. Again, you could shoot, but, don't get discouraged by the other guys. JUST DO IT!!! Besides, it's your Right, exercise it!!
Yeah, one nice thing about GSSF if you are starting out or physically limited is that there is no movement of any kind. It is all static shooting.
Old May 17, 2010, 10:36 AM   #15
Jim Watson

Well, I got through my first Post Incident IDPA shoot yesterday.
I handled the shooting and movement OK but am thankful there were no kneeling positions.
Old May 17, 2010, 05:40 PM   #16
GaryM&P

Glad you're back out there Jim.
Old May 18, 2010, 03:02 PM   #17
tgford58

Like others said, just do it. I like the USPSA format -I'm over 50 with a blown rotator cuff and 5 bulging discs in my back. I haven't found the activities too strenuous. I've shot against kids and seniors and as long as you have your expectations set accordingly you'll have fun.
Old May 18, 2010, 05:17 PM   #18
WESHOOT2

JW

Glad it went well; with you about kneeling.
Old May 19, 2010, 11:49 PM   #19
softmentor

good to hear you had a good time out there.
good shooting!
Old May 22, 2010, 02:52 AM   #20
bamaranger

humble

Yeah, and what Jim Watson is not telling you is that he won 3 stages, shot circles around yours truly and 80% of the guys there, and might have won the match except for a non-threat. Oh yeah, ..........did I mention he borrowed a pistol and rig?

Well done Jim and WELCOME BACK.

To the OP, by all means, go out and shoot, and enjoy.
When I start keeping score too much, even against myself, in my shooting or animals bagged, I typically sour the experience. Go have a good time.
Old May 26, 2010, 10:29 PM   #21
orionengnr

The best part is, it's $15 or $20 for a match. I've bought a lot of hangovers that cost more than that and were a lot less fun.

I just did my first IDPA match this Saturday, and it will not be the last
Old May 28, 2010, 03:29 PM   #22
FDT

Every Match......

is different and the action in the stages are dependent upon what the stage designers imgination can come up with...allowances are made for most shooters who have a physical problem that don't allow them to move in certain ways. Sometimes a penalty is added for a failure to follow the prescribed proceduer. When I used to shoot a lot I seldom, if ever shot weak hand only...nerve damage does not give me full control of all my left hand fingers...and I would rather take a penalty than take a chance on the loaded firearm falling on the ground. Just learn to shoot well enough that you can over come any deduted points. I did.