The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 17, 1999, 03:49 PM   #1
BenDover

I have 2 thousand .223 LC brass I need to remove the military crimp around the primer and wanted to know if the machine from Dillon is worth buying? Thanks
Old November 17, 1999, 09:33 PM   #2
John Lawson

I certainly think that mine has been worth the investment price. I used it yesterday morning to swage a couple of hundred military .308 cases.
One caveat: Adjust it carefully and develop a light touch. The click stops are faint, but adequate if you don't get heavy handed. If you miss the pocket and slam down on the handle, the machine has enough leverage to wreck the misaligned case.
Actually, I have tried hand and power reamers, press mounted swages and some other ideas over the years, but nothing compares to the Dillon bench mount swager, except the built in swage station on the Dillon 1050 press. And, swaging does not remove metal like a reamer, it displaces metal, and you will never get chatters that leak gas as you can with a hand reamer.
Old November 18, 1999, 12:02 PM   #3
Bill Hebert

I've been thinking about the Dillon also - but just haven't thrown the $ at it. I still remove the crimp with one of the Lee hand-held jobs. I can only remove 200 or so before going absolutely batty and must stop to do something else. Have you tried the Hornady hand-held crimp remover? Is it better than the Lee?
Old November 18, 1999, 01:51 PM   #4
TheOtherMikey

I got one to remove the crimps but I don't use it much anymore. Rarely I have to remove the crimps in .308 or 30-06 ammo but not usually. I soon realized it wasn't worth removing the crimps on .223 as I can ( and do) buy my .223 cases from River Valley Ordnance www.rvow.com, cleaned, trimmed, de-primed, crim removed, sized (on small base dies) and re-primed for about $68 a thousand, delivered.

Want to buy a slightly used Dillon swage?

Mikey

[This message has been edited by TheOtherMikey (edited November 18, 1999).]