The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 1, 2005, 08:52 AM   #1
rmoon

What to put in my range bag??

First I would like to thank everyone for all the information I have found in this forum. I just purchased my first handgun a Ruger P95. I should be picking it up sometime next week. In the mean time to keep me from going crazy waiting I am trying to figure out what all I should put into my range bag. These are the items I had in mind:

Ammo (Range & S/D)
Targets
Hoppes Boresnake Field Kit
Eyes and Ears

What else do you find needed. All suggestions are appreciated but my budget is about spent so essentials first and down the road helpfuls second. Thank-you everyone.
Old December 2, 2005, 02:49 PM   #2
USMC Tanker

A multi-tool of some kind (a pistol probably won't need it for disassembly/assembly but always comes in handy. I'd also always have some cleaning gear (rags, CLP, AP brush, and a bore snake like you mentioned). Other than that, you should be set.
Old December 2, 2005, 04:50 PM   #3
Ranger325

I take a little different track. Range bags carry pistols/revolvers, ammo, eyes/ears, brass bag, shooting gloves and small staple gun (x-ammo for it too) for targets. I have a large plastic toolbox for cleaning supplies, tools, etc. Like most things everyone has their own technique. Enjoy......
Regards,
Old December 3, 2005, 05:12 PM   #4
afplayboy18

i only say this cuz it has happened to my fiancee before.

dont forget your mags

she took her new AR to the range and forgot her mags...had the gun and ammo. and to make matters worse she had a mag-lock in the magwell and forgot the key to that so she couldnt use any else's mags either
Old December 3, 2005, 05:23 PM   #5
pax

Quote:
Targets
Don't forget something to put the targets up with (stapler & staples). Target tape if you want to repair targets in between strings.

Also toss in a small notepad & a pen. You'll surprise yourself how often you'll wish for one if you don't have it.

Quote:
Eyes and Ears
And a hat with a brim. You don't want brass coming down to land in between your glasses & your eyelids. Trust me on this one.

pax
Old December 3, 2005, 07:17 PM   #6
Russ5924

A couple of small screw drivers won't hurt and a brass rod just in case you get a squib.A cleaning rag to wipe your gun down after you shoot.Plastic bag to keep your fired rounds in if you ever want to reload at sometime.I like 3/4 inch masking tape for putting up my target seems to hold in any kind of weather
Old December 3, 2005, 09:42 PM   #7
a1abdj

I always carry two pairs of glasses and muffs in the event somebody decides to go with me.
Old December 4, 2005, 09:43 AM   #8
tegemu

You might consider some basic First Aid supplies, band Aids, Anti-septic ointment etc., also some handi-wipes - they are handy any time.
Old December 13, 2005, 03:35 AM   #9
choochboost

I'm with Ranger, my range bag is just my range bag. I don't bother hauling everything to the range so I leave the cleaning products at home. My range bag carries my handgun with padlock for transport to satisfy the LEOs, magazines, ammo, speedloader, eyes, ears, spare eyes and ears (in case the wife comes), Sharpie marker, snap-caps (A-zoom only), targets, small notebook, pen, cleaning cloth for quick wipe down, and Tegemu had a great idea with the band-aids so I'll add those too. I don't pack any tools, if they're needed for a squib or whatever, I can just borrow them from the shop at my range.
Old December 13, 2005, 11:25 AM   #10
Ian2005

Range Baggie

Well for my rifle suggest not forgetting the penny to adjust the scope. The rest is ammo, cleaning rod, muff's, plugs and glasses. I've also need a need "work mat" diagraming the pistol and parts utilized.. ok that was for a Glock anyway.
Old December 19, 2005, 02:21 PM   #11
wgates011

Snacks

I get so hungey when i shoot. Even more so when i shoot skeet. I always have a pound or so of beef jerky and a bunch of breakfast bars in my range bag.
Old December 19, 2005, 02:38 PM   #12
pax

"snacks" -- smart! I forgot to mention that. I have honey-roasted peanuts & a jug of water in mine. The peanuts have sugar for quick energy, salt for hot sweaty days, & protein to hold me over until my next real meal. Water of course.

However -- don't bring anything you have to hold in your lead-contaminated hand in order to eat, and don't eat on an indoor range, and don't leave your foodstuffs near where you're shooting. I "drink" my peanuts out of the jar, when I am done shooting and am away from the line, after wiping my face & hands, & wiping down the top of the peanut jar & water jug. Lead poisioning is no joke.

pax