The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old August 12, 2017, 04:28 AM   #1
briandg

Is the lubrisizer dead?

How many people still cast, how many cast in such a dedicated way that they will absolutely have to have one on the bench?

I took mine off. I'm just too old to care, I started buying bullets. I might even sell it, but why? It would be pointless to get rid of all casting equipment and lead just so someone can go to the gunshop and brag about the score be made with a stupid old man.
Old August 12, 2017, 05:56 AM   #2
dahermit

Quote:
It would be pointless to get rid of all casting equipment and lead just so someone can go to the gunshop and brag about the score be made with a stupid old man.
You likely understand what you meant by that, but we cannot see into your mind nor have your frame of reference. I have no idea what was meant by that. Does anyone else have a clue?
Old August 12, 2017, 06:02 AM   #3
SouthGA

Another scenario would be the situation where you did decide to sell your casting equipment and a person bought it that wanted to learn and proudly told those others of the great buy and great person that afforded him that opportunity and passed to him the torch and then that legacy continued.

That person praising you would be me if I were closer and the opportunity came up.
Old August 12, 2017, 06:36 AM   #4
polska

I still cast. I don't cast pistol or .30 cal. anymore but I couldn't shoot my trapdoors or Sharps without casting and sizing. I also cast balls and minie balls for my muzzle loaders. I guess you could buy them but it is a hell of a lot cheaper to cast these types of projectiles.
Old August 12, 2017, 06:41 AM   #5
jaguarxk120

I still cast, the bullets you can not buy. Such as 45 Colt 255 grain with square grease grouves and a 160 grain 38 with the same square grouve.

And I use three lubrisizers, two lyman and a RCBS.

And I enjoy using older equipment.
Old August 12, 2017, 08:00 AM   #6
dahermit

I just shoot too much to afford to buy commercial bullets. So, I cast a whole lot using two six-cavity Lee molds at a time for volume. Despite the fact that I have stopped lubing with my Lyman 450 lube-sizer, I still use it to size the bullets after powder coating. I have about 6-8 hollow sticks of NRA formula Alox lube that I will not likely ever use. I am sticking with sizing with the Lyman whereas most who powder coat use a Lee push-through die because I already have the machine and the sizing dies for the handgun cartridges I shoot. My biggest problem is finding the 300 or so pounds of lead I need each year...and that problem is not likely to change.
Old August 13, 2017, 01:01 AM   #7
Beagle333

I still have and use 8 lubrisizers. (I don't like to change dies)
I powdercoat when the weather is nice, but lately it has been all humid and rainy (about 3 months now) and so I use the lubers.
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old August 13, 2017, 01:15 AM   #8
TruthTellers

It's not, but I can't say I'm ever going to buy one.

I've been sold on powder coating and if I do get into casting bullets, I won't be sizing them with a lubrisizer.
Old August 13, 2017, 02:49 AM   #9
armoredman

I have never had a lubrisizer, never could afford one. I just powder coat instead. The rare times I do hard lube, I do it via little pan on the stove method.
You might look on castboolits to see if any new casters might really be itching for a setup, where you could get someone else into the hobby, if you want.
Old August 13, 2017, 12:53 PM   #10
reddog81

I considered going the lubesizer route a couple of years ago when I started casting but powder coating sounded much cheaper and probably better(no exposed lead on the bullet). I'd buy a lubesizer if I could get a good deal on the machine and the sizers I would need.

I'd be interested in trying one because I believe the speed would be significantly faster. It does take time to setup all the bullets to be baked, and then you have to run them through a sizer afterwards. With the lubesizer I believe it would take less than half the time.
Old August 13, 2017, 12:59 PM   #11
pete2

I haven't cast a bullet in over 20 years but I ain't selling the lubrisizer of my molds. You never know..........................................................
Old August 13, 2017, 04:47 PM   #12
dahermit

Quote:
I'd be interested in trying one because I believe the speed would be significantly faster. It does take time to setup all the bullets to be baked, and then you have to run them through a sizer afterwards. With the lubesizer I believe it would take less than half the time.
If you mean using the lubesizer to both size and lube the bullets instead of powder coating then sizing, then yes it would be faster. However, if you mean powder coating then using the lubesizer to only size, then no...the guys using the Lee push-though die to size their powder coated bullets are doing it faster.
Old August 13, 2017, 05:20 PM   #13
lee n. field

Quote:
s the lubrisizer dead?
How many people still cast, how many cast in such a dedicated way that they will absolutely have to have one on the bench?

I took mine off. I'm just too old to care, I started buying bullets. I might even sell it, but why? It would be pointless to get rid of all casting equipment and lead just so someone can go to the gunshop and brag about the score be made with a stupid old man.
I haven't cast for 4 or 5 years now. Running the lubrisizer is a pain, and it leaks lube badly.

I'm seriously contemplating casting some more and trying my hand at powder coating.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old August 13, 2017, 06:04 PM   #14
muzzleblast...

I am keeping my lubrisizers...and all of my other vintage casting and reloading gear. For me, it really isn't about cost, or production, it is a hobby.
Old August 13, 2017, 07:11 PM   #15
gwpercle

I still cast and I still use my Lyman 450 to lube size .
I enjoy doing it and take pride in the fact I can cast nearly perfect bullets. Nothing is perfect. Started in 1967 , I taught myself and consider lead bullet production an art. A lot of people can't do it .
I can also make the exact size and type I want. Buying them leaves you at the mercy of the dealer.
I like being the master of my bullet supply.
Gary
Old August 13, 2017, 08:42 PM   #16
salvadore

Vintage casting and reloading gear...Egad.
Old August 13, 2017, 09:13 PM   #17
lee n. field

Quote:
Vintage casting and reloading gear...Egad.
It's actually kind of interesting to look at old reloading books. The equipment is sometimes exactly what we can get now, other times some wild oddball thing that no one has seen since.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old August 13, 2017, 11:28 PM   #18
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Been thinking about doing the same. Only reason lately keeping that RCBS lubesizer bolted to the bench these days? Too dry/ resize my oversized paper patch cast down to a couple thousands over their bore. (30-30 & 300 Savage.)

[not much of a reason to keep it bolted given some additional thought.]

It doesn't make much sense for me to tinker around with gas checked cast or Paper Patched cast anymore. I need too use what I have. i.e. 2-plastic Medium size storage containers filled to their Brim with store bought jacketed bullets before dementia befuddles this old Home Reloader's hair covered computer.

Just saying.
Selling my RCBS & Pacific reloading equipment? Never to a gun shop!! Would rather give all away to my Gun Club's young reloader's so to bring about many surprises and beaming smiles.
Old August 14, 2017, 04:09 PM   #19
reddog81

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahermit View Post
If you mean using the lubesizer to both size and lube the bullets instead of powder coating then sizing, then yes it would be faster. However, if you mean powder coating then using the lubesizer to only size, then no...the guys using the Lee push-though die to size their powder coated bullets are doing it faster.
Yes, Lube and Size in one fell swoop. I currently PC and then size. Powder coating works great but it just seems wrong that it takes me longer to PC and size 200 bullets than it takes to knock out 200 rounds on my Lock N Load.
Old August 14, 2017, 11:59 PM   #20
Dufus

I cast maybe 3 to 4 times per year. Right now I have close to 13 lbs of 0.431 bullets alone.

Like GW, I started in the late 60s and have enjoyed it every time.

I ain't giving up or slowing down.
Old August 15, 2017, 07:59 AM   #21
reloader28

I have no plans to quit casting. If I want to shoot, I make the bullets. No sense in buying store bought stuff when I can make it and it performs as good or better.

I have 2 lubesizers bolted down and use them alot. I have never and have no plans to powder coat. Everything I have shoots awesome with plain lube I make and it costs me NOTHING to do. Way cheaper than powder coating.

I love it when they say lubesizing is to slow. If I need a couple hundred bullets right now, I size them up and I'm reloading in 15 minutes.
Old August 15, 2017, 04:27 PM   #22
dahermit

Quote:
I have 2 lubesizers bolted down and use them alot. I have never and have no plans to powder coat. Everything I have shoots awesome with plain lube I make and it costs me NOTHING to do. Way cheaper than powder coating.
Which is cheaper is debatable. Making your own grease lube can lower cost, but some of the commercial hollow sticks are getting pricey.
Old August 17, 2017, 04:27 AM   #23
Mike / Tx

I have two lube sizers, one 4500, and one Saeco. I use them both. I have half a dozen or more different colored powders as well that I dabble with on occasion, but like mentioned, it takes me twice as long or more to PC than it does to just sit down with a box of raw bullets and run them through the proper sizer.

Heck, I even have a nice big tray, covered in wax paper that I use to dump my mule snot coated bullets on to dry. Come to think of it, it has about 200 or so of the Lee TL452 230gr RN on it right now that need to be loaded. I did a side by side comparrison using these both PC'ed and TL'ed through my 1911's and the TL was more accurate in both of them. I used the same brand brass, primers, powder and charge weight. The only thing different was the coating. Both were run through the same Lee push through sizing die as well, just to make sure things were as equal as I could get them.

I use White Label Lube Carnuba Red for 99% of my loads, and just loaded up the Saeco with a stick of the Carnuba Blue to try out. So far I'm not overly fond of it, but it might be better once it cools down. I can run close to 500 rounds using the CR through my 1911's and my 9mm's before I have any issues. With using the CB I am only hitting around 50 or so consecutive shots before I am having to run a bore snake through to clear out the chamber. It isn't a huge issue to me, but it does get a bit frustrating when your in a good groove and things start to gunk up.

None the less, with all that said, I will continue to use the lube sizers for the majority of my cast shooting needs. Faster isn't the biggest part of it, as is the convenience of simply sitting down and knocking out several hundred bullets in a few minutes time comparatively, then walking over to the press and loading them, as mentioned above.
Old September 23, 2017, 06:25 PM   #24
KenT7021

I have four lube sizers.All loaded with different lube and different sizer dies.I'm thinking about adding a fifth to the collection.My sizers are all Lyman.I bought the first one back in the 60's.For lube I currently use Carnuba Blue and Red,White Label 2500,and Lyman alox.Powder coating looks interesting but I have no desire to try it.
Old September 24, 2017, 07:04 PM   #25
LOLBELL

Lube all of my bullets with a 450