The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old October 18, 2011, 05:12 PM   #26
codyb1991

Thanks for the replies everyone, I'm gonna shoot a few more boxes of ammo this weekend and see how it turns out.
Old October 18, 2011, 05:44 PM   #27
m&p45acp10+1

I am in the let it cool down camp. If you can put it in the shade while it cools down that would be even better. You should be able to wrap your hand around the barrell and pick it up, with it feeling like it has not had a shot fired out of it cool between shots.

Also shots can go to a different POI from a cold squeeky clean barrel to one that has had a few round fired out of it. A lot of target shooters fire a few rounds first to fowl the barrell. It depends on what you are using it for.

If for hunting I would wait at least 10 minutes between shots. Make sure the barrel is at absolute cool. Then fire the shot. If you are hunting with it you probably will not have the luxury of first firing a few shots to fowl the barrel, and warm it up.
Old October 18, 2011, 07:06 PM   #28
Sweet Shooter

@codyb1991
I used a Dremel tool to remove those "nubs". But like I said I ended up super-gluing a thin piece of leather back in there. I did use a metalwork file to remove some of the plastic running along the one side where it was a bit tighter. I don't think it makes much difference if the barrel is floated or not on with the synthetic/plastic stocks. If you get a nice walnut stock and bed it with pillars and float it, then I would expect to see a bigger improvement.

Try this at your next range visit... don't shoot three or five shot groups. A three shot MOA group looks bad and is a false indicator. Shoot a black dot about 1.25" in diameter so that you can't see your shots—don't use Shoot "n" See for this exercise. Be as consistent as you can be and shoot 10 or 15 rounds slowly. The barrel will still get hot but that's okay as long as you don't go crazy—I duno, count to 100 between shots. Ignore one or two flyers or shots you may have pulled (unless you pull three or four in a row in which case start over). Then visit your target.

You might be surprised, you might not. You may have a couple of shots opening your group up to 1.5 but look for the concentration. If your rifle will put 15 into an inch or just over you have a great rifle. It's fun to try.

-SS-
Old October 18, 2011, 08:47 PM   #29
codyb1991

SS, that's a good idea. Should I move my targets out to 100 yards? The range here in town goes to 300 yards.
Old October 19, 2011, 02:03 AM   #30
Sweet Shooter

I think 100 yards is a good indicator. I know it's not long range but it's as far as I personally need to shoot. I'm convinced there is a psychological effect of not being able to see the shots land on the paper. I've often shot 3 or 5 shot groups around an inch on white paper which through the scope look crappy but then when I visit the target it ain't so bad.

I used to shoot an inch at 50 yards and think it was great (and actually it was for the time). An inch or just over at 100 yards is more than practical for a hunting rifle. I know some guys who won't actually shoot groups at all. They shoot one shot at each 1 inch black dot. Some of those shots are marginal, a lot are dead center.

-SS-

Tags
700 , remington , remington 700 , target