The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 15, 2011, 08:18 PM   #1
me26245

I need info on Remington Factory 9mm 124 gr GSHP

I purchased 1k of the Remington 9mm 124 grain Golden Saber Hollow Point bullets.

I'm wanting to reproduce this factory loading and I need the following information:

Factory Cartridge Over All Length (OAL)

Factory 9mm 124 GSHP load velocity information.

If anyone has had any experience loading this type bullet, please let me know.

Thanks
Old April 15, 2011, 09:21 PM   #2
Walkalong

Load them to fall between 1.120 to 1.125 O.A.L. N340 is hard to beat for velocities in short barrels while still doing very well in a carbine length barrel.

Last edited by Walkalong; April 16, 2011 at 07:03 AM. Reason: Fixed dyslexic O.A.L. - arghh.....
Old April 15, 2011, 09:24 PM   #3
jimbob86

Quote:
I purchased 1k of the Remington 9mm 124 grain Golden Saber Hollow Point bullets.

I'm wanting to reproduce this factory loading and I need the following information:

Factory Cartridge Over All Length (OAL)
You have a dial caliper, yes?
Old April 15, 2011, 09:44 PM   #4
rg1

No data exists from Remington for the Golden Saber. Factory overall length with the 9MM 124 gr. Golden Saber is 1.120-1.125". Oal varies due to the irregular tip shape of the hollow point bullet. The only published data I'm aware of is from Accurate Arms Powder. They list mins and maximums with the 124 GS using AA#2, AA#5, and AA#7. There is a typo confirmed by AA with their AA#7 load. They have an abreviation of BS instead of GS. If you want to confirm just contact Accurate Arms for verification. I'd recommend trying #5 or #7 Accurate Arms powder and not #2. I've had good results using Alliant Unique powder. My load is 5.1- 5.2 grains of Unique with mostly Win cases and all CCI 500 primers. It's not quite a maximum load but around 1100 fps and accurate in my pistols. Start around 4.8 grains of Unique and work up and 5.4 may be close to maximum? The driving band of the GS will be just inside the case mouth. Just lightly taper crimp to remove any belling of the case mouth. Per Remington the standard 124 GS muzzle velocity is 1125 fps and their +P 124 GS has a muzzle velocity of 1180 fps. As advertised, the groove diameter of the bullets with the bore diameter of the driving band, it does seem to create less pressure than a same weight copper jacketed bullet. It'll take approximately .2 (two tenths) more powder than a copper jacketed bullet to get the same velocity with the GS. With the couple powders I've tested, you could use Hornady 124 start data to work up your loads without any pressure issues.

Last edited by rg1; April 15, 2011 at 09:58 PM.
Old April 16, 2011, 12:16 AM   #5
me26245

Yes, I use a dial caliper.

I'm using AA #7 in my 9mm loads.

For my first load testing I used Frontier cases, with Tula primers.

Additional testing will be with S & B cases and Tula primers.

For initial velocity testing I started with 8.0 grains of #7 and went up to 8.8 grains in 2 tenths increments. I seated the bullet so that the top of the driving band was just at the edge of the case mouth, but it sure makes the cartridge look long. I can't remember the OAL I got seating the bullet that way, but they fed with out problems.

I'll have to redo my testing using this bullet as I had problems with the chronograph. The only 10 shot string that I was able to get all ten rounds to record was 8.2 grains of #7 which gave an average velocity of 1093.2fps.

Thanks for the information I'll try the OAL you've recommended and see how they work.