The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old April 11, 2008, 08:24 AM   #1
Jon-m

SWAT Team Raids Wrong Residence

http://www1.wsvn.com/news/articles/local/MI82697/

Thats definitely an unfortunate situation, I can only imagine how traumatizing that would be.
I can't believe that someone actually let a mistake that big slip by. You would've thought that a SWAT team would have been a bit more organized for an "illegal gun raid" than this.....:barf:
Old April 11, 2008, 09:50 AM   #2
Scattergun Bob

Be carful of the word

First let me say I mean no disrespect to Law Enforcement, you are our knight protectors and IT IS A TOUGH JOB!

This said, it happens a lot, especially at the Federal level. The same folks doing the raid did not gather the INTEL for the raid. All it takes is one # off!!!!

A word about the SWAT reference. SWAT has been degraded to the point that most full time units have come up with a different name. San Jose has MERGE, and so on.

After 9-11 everybody and their uncle out of a sense of patriotic duty wanted to field a serious team of professionals to deal with the threat. However, there is a HUGE difference in training and team experience between a Federal HRT team and joint agency "SWAT" teams. At a location I once saw a computer forensics GEEK wearing the gear and emblazened with SWAT.

I going to take some heat for this, no disrespect to anyone meant, but "it is what it is, knowing how to wear the gear and strutting your stuff does not necessarily make an operator."

enough said, Good Luck & Be safe
Old April 11, 2008, 10:16 AM   #3
Musketeer

Quote:
I can't believe that someone actually let a mistake that big slip by.
Not nearly as rare as you think. At least nobody died on this one, unlike others.
http://www.cato.org/raidmap/

Quote:
"If a widespread pattern of [knock-and-announce] violations were shown . . . there would be reason for grave concern."

—Supreme Court Justice Anthony Kennedy, in Hudson v. Michigan, June 15, 2006.

"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin
Old April 11, 2008, 10:29 AM   #4
primlantah
Registration in progress

i bet that baby will have hearing problems that would probably lead to speech and learning problems too. Concussion grenade for a mother and her children. Wont somebody please think of the children!
Old April 11, 2008, 11:32 AM   #5
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Sorry guys; other than pointing out an obvious training deficiency in some SWAT teams, this has no bearing on tactics and training, and even that's been beat to death at TFL before.

Off topic and closed.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Closed Thread