The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old February 19, 2019, 10:38 AM   #51
dahermit

Quote:
I am one of those unfortunate guys that has a wife who dislikes guns (never brought up around them) and thinks my pistol purchases are a waste of money. All I bought in the last 2 years was a 9MM, a 22 poly ply, and a 380 Spectrum. Just wanted a small concealed carry in all three calibers. Going to see which one I like to carry the best. How are your wives when it comes to your pistols?
I also am one of the "lucky ones"...when I talk about a gun that I would like to have, she has always said, "If you can afford it, buy it."

As an expert on marriage/women (three times married), there are two kinds of women out there...those who think marriage puts them in charge and those who see it as a partnership. Ask your wife, "...are my gun purchase anymore a waste of money than your trips to the hairdresser?"
Old February 19, 2019, 10:52 AM   #52
Skans

How are your wives when it comes to your pistols?

Mine is pretty indifferent to guns. Doesn't like them and doesn't hate them; about the same as she is with my collection of tools. She tolerates guns (and tools) so long as I don't leave them lying around.

She acknowledges that my "Man Warning Label" said "likes motorcycles; likes guns" when she bought me. I think she would be far more concerned if I didn't have any hobbies and was always in her hair.
Old February 19, 2019, 10:57 AM   #53
gnystrom

My wife was not a shooter but I talked her into some rangetime with my Ruber MKIII with Volquartsen innards. At 30' bullsseye after bullseye. We moved on to a Mod. 60 3" with Laser grips. More bullseyes. Still not a big fan but she shot a 232/250 for her carry permit qualification.
What got her to the range? I bought my single mom daughter that Mod. 60 3" and what daughter does so does mom.
Next trip for Mom
Old February 19, 2019, 11:09 AM   #54
fisherman

I guess I didn't tell you folks the whole story. We are married 54 years this year and she is a jewel. Love at first sight that lasted 54 years so far. She is not wild about my guns but she also knows I am not going to change. I didn't mean to imply that it is a problem in our marriage, I just wish she liked pistols more.
Old February 19, 2019, 12:03 PM   #55
GarandTd

I think your experience is pretty common amongst us [firearm enthusiasts].
Old February 19, 2019, 03:41 PM   #56
CarJunkieLS1

OP I feel your pain...a couple weeks ago I mentioned my next pistol purchase, a RIA "Baby Rock" .380. And she blurted angrily out of her mouth, I just wish you'd quit buying guns and invest that money in our future...I replied I wish you'd have thought about our future before you got yourself fired from your last 2 jobs. Well guess what I have on layaway at the LGS.
Old February 19, 2019, 04:03 PM   #57
TunnelRat

My wife's mother and father were in the Army, with her father still serving. Her grandfather she spent the most time with as a child was a police chief of a large metropolitan department. She was far more comfortable with me being a gun owner than my own family.

As for spending, she has a car she drives and a house she lives in for which she pays nothing. I'd sell any of my guns to take care of her or our son if something happened and the finances we have saved weren't enough, though that shouldn't happen. I've never been late on a single bill. I don't drink to excess, smoke, or gamble. To me that entitles me to a passion.

I wouldn't date a woman that wouldn't tolerate me liking firearms. She doesn't have to be as enthusiastic as me, but people need something outside of work and family. I've watched my father retire with no hobbies and he's practically lost and driving my mother nuts. My wife has her hobbies and I have mine. We don't chastise each other about them.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Last edited by TunnelRat; February 19, 2019 at 05:20 PM.
Old February 19, 2019, 04:09 PM   #58
rpseraph

My wife is not a huge fan of guns, but she grew up around them and has at least a “meh” approach to them. She is understandably terrified of guns around our children. But she has come to have a healthy respect for them, an occasional interest in them, and some amount of thankfulness for my ability to protect our family with them. To get her from “eeek!” to “meh” to “ok” has been a process and I’ll shed some light.

1) Make her confident that your first interest is in safely handling firearms and acquiring training . I did not have a pistol when we got married. She understood rifles and shotguns for hunting (after all, her dad had those.) She didn’t understand why I would want a rifle. But she saw me doing research on technique, classes, competitions, joining clubs, the best safes, the ways to educate your children, etc. I had discussions with her about why I wanted a pistol. I was honest with her about my thoughts on home defense and carrying. She saw that my decision to carry a firearm was not an easy one, it was measured, I sought counsel, I really thought through the possibility of killing someone.
2) Get her to the range so she can see that firearms are not that scary. It is even biblical! “Don't look out only for your own interests, but take an interest in others, too.” Phillipians 2:4. Married people should want to show interest in their spouses interests! Of course this mean you’re going to need to show interest in her things too! Put on your gardening hat and grab some nitting needles gentlemen! It isn’t fair to think she should go shooting and fund your hobby when you ignore hers! Put in the effort, and she will too. No guarantee on how this’ll take . I go and paint pictures with her, she goes to the range with me... Don't tell anyone, but I like painting now, and she likes shooting (occasionally)
3) Don’t hide your hobby, this is deceitful and will lead to bitterness. I know the temptation of “don’t ask, don’t tell” is strong with purchasing firearms… but one way or another, the truth always comes out. We have a joint account (works best for us.) If there is a gun I want to buy, I show her financially how I am going to save for it, explain why I want it, and ask her permission. She always says yes because I gave her the respect she deserves. “It’s my money and I can spend it how I want” is a bunch of caveman CRAP in my opinion. Show your wife some respect, after all she married your ugly butt, hahahaha.
4) Get involved with other couples that go to the range. This is kind of a bonus one… but I was lucky enough to find a couple at church that they both competitively shoot and the wives get along great. They are great ambassadors for the sport and have helped my wife see that shooting isn’t about only hunting or militias or crazy people.
Old February 19, 2019, 04:26 PM   #59
gwpercle

My wife is nothing but a big enabler...she's always said " if you want it get it...I have a little extra money tucked away ". She's never said NO .
She knew I was a shooter , reloader and bullet caster from day one . Married me anyway.
Before we were married she would go shooting with me , afterwards she stopped...
told me she really didn't like to shoot... I asked why did you go shooting with me all the time ?
... I knew you liked shooting and I wanted to be with you...whatever makes you happy , makes me happy .... When she told me that ...I thought I was going to cry..so sweet.
Married 46 years and the other day she tells me...You know...you still make me laugh!
Don't tell me I'm not a rich man... a wife like that is priceless !
Gary
Old February 19, 2019, 06:17 PM   #60
pwc

Can't say I have that problem. First rifle I bought was because my wife said she could shoot....she could. Never argued over money; there's only so much and we both knew where it had to go. As time went on more $ became available, both agree on large $ purchases. Been maried 53 years.
Old February 19, 2019, 06:31 PM   #61
rt11002003

Wives are people, too. So we are led to believe. Five years ago my wife said she didn't care if I bought guns, as long as I didn't spend more than my current income. I'm retired. So it went that way until recently. Now she seems to get out of sorts if I just think of looking at a new gun. m/b it is because I purchased more than 50 during the first year. Sold several, have about 20+. Bought three in the last year. She still encourages my range visits, at least a weekly event. She has no problem with loaded guns throughout the house for easy access. She doesn't care for guns, personally.
Old February 19, 2019, 08:33 PM   #62
Carl the Floor Walker

"Every time I buy a gun I turn into a Prince for at least a month - My wife likes that and knows she gets to sell them all when I die." RGRACING

NOWThat was funny RGRACING
Old February 19, 2019, 11:32 PM   #63
CalmerThanYou

I can't get my wife to join me at the range, she is adverse to the noise and is apprehensive about shooting.

She is however understanding of my shooting hobby and likes the fact that we have a plan to protect ourselves. She is a work in progress, and I mix in information regarding gun ownership rights, protection of the 2A and the work to be done to protect our rights. One of my daughters and her boyfriend have also taken a interest in the shooting sports and future gun ownership, which she is on board with.

I figure she "forgets" to tell me when she buys new luxury items for herself, and I do not proclaim every purchase I make, so it works out fine.
Old February 20, 2019, 12:06 AM   #64
mehavey

Quote:
We are married 54 years this year and she is a jewel. Love at first sight that lasted 54 years so far.
She is not wild about my guns but she also knows I am not going to change. I didn't mean to imply that
it is a problem in our marriage, I just wish she liked pistols more.
Been there, Doing that.
During that time I discovered the Critical Mass Effect.
Critical Mass: That Number of Guns = 'N', wherein N+1 is Indiscernible.
Old February 20, 2019, 12:23 AM   #65
rural12

This was not settled before you married her?
Old February 20, 2019, 03:46 PM   #66
Targa

They have been married for 54years, sounds to me like they are doing something right lol. There things that my wife buys and vice versa that we think are a big waste of money, none of us forbid each other from getting said things but we certainly give each other a little bit of grief about those things...

I will say that I am a bit suspicious of my wife’s willingness for me to buy a motorcycle....I am worth more dead than alive though, guess I just addressed my concerns..
Old February 20, 2019, 05:00 PM   #67
larryf1952

When I was dating my wife of 45 years, she knew that I was "sorta" into guns. It wasn't a problem for her then, and it has never become a problem for her. Now that we're older, she just rolls her eyes or says something like, "I'm going to plan an intervention for you", whenever I mention that I'm thinking about buying another gun. But, she's only kidding and is cool with it.

When we were younger, she shot with me many times. I taught her how to hold, how to stand, how to control breathing and sight alignment. She got pretty darn good at it. She fell away as life and being a Mom took over, though.

We're both recently retired now, and just a few weeks ago, she decided that she'd go to the range with me. She hadn't shot a gun for at least 25 years. Her first shot with a Bersa .380 was dead center in the bullseye at 5 yards.

She still has the juice.
Old February 20, 2019, 05:04 PM   #68
highpower3006

My ex wife started hating anything and everything I liked to do after we had been married for about ten years. Guns were just a small part of what she objected to.
Old February 20, 2019, 08:13 PM   #69
CLYA

My wife wanted to buy a larger cannon, than the small one we had. So we did. It's not huge, but shoots golf balls. She does think I spend too much on guns, but in the last year, she also wanted a semi-auto and revolver like the ones I had bought. I bought them for her. We do go to the range & desert a lot, to keep current.
Old February 20, 2019, 09:20 PM   #70
Bozz10mm

My wife doesn't object to me owning the guns I have now. She just doesn't want me to buy any more. I have to admit, I have way more than I need. There are still two or three I'd like to have tho.
Old February 21, 2019, 06:57 PM   #71
.38SuperMan

I’m one of the lucky ones too.

When my wife and I got together she knew my son and I were avid shooters and competed in IPSC matches regularly. She didn’t grow up in a shooting household but had no objections to guns. I tried to introduce her to shooting with a 38 special but she was t interested. Skip forward 25 years, I took a long break from shooting to give all of my attention to my business.

Now I’m 70 and semi retired and got back into shooting. My wife asked me what I’d like for my birthday and I said a Henry 22 carbine. That was the beginning of a new phase of our marriage, when she saw it she wanted to go to the range with me and try it. Well she loved it so much she’s now the proud owner of my carbine and I have another one. And It didn’t stop there. We went to the gun store with me and saw a S&W 317 22 revolver and now she shoots it almost every week at the range with me. For her birthday I bought some cute arcade type paper targets, steel poppers and a dueling tree and she now looks forward to our trips to shoot.

Ok she took my carbine away from me but I got another, also a Henry pump 22, 4 1911’s of various calibers, micro 9, Ruger LCP, S&W model 34 nickel unfired and a S&W 625 45acp. She wanted to shoot my 625 and has indicated she’d like to shoot my Springfield 1911 9mm. She’s also thinking of getting her concealed carry permit.
Old February 21, 2019, 10:20 PM   #72
Auto5

My greatest fear is that, when I die, my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them.
Old February 22, 2019, 12:25 AM   #73
Ignition Override

My wife was an Army brat of a career Quartermaster but they had no interest in guns. A bit ironic-her Dad had volunteered to be attached to the 101st in all of their campaigns in '44-'45, and took personal handguns from (Luftwaffe) Hermann Goering's Haus in Bavaria in '45.

Guns are just boring gear to her, and expenses need to be spread out.
I agreed with her request that if I lost interest in specific guns, most of these would be sold, which often provides the cash for a new type. Along with my wife, Armslist has been a Huge blessing.

If the 100% blocked Widowmaker artery in '17 (frequent runner, exc. pulse, but didn't keep up with cholesterol) had happened in a remote area, she would have been Widowed a Second time. She literally might have given all of them away for free (expedient)--therefore I don't get obsessive about going overboard on cleaning, or make assumptions about what they will be worth.

Last edited by Ignition Override; February 22, 2019 at 12:52 AM.
Old February 22, 2019, 09:54 AM   #74
Big4Freedom

Old February 22, 2019, 06:04 PM   #75
MrBot

2wheelwonder, that's 1 very clever way you handled that situation. ..hilarious! And if the pooch says all is clear then all is clear.