The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 22, 2001, 11:23 PM   #1
tstr

I cleaned my Beretta .357sig and noticed bad pitting in the barrel. What happened? The gun is fairly new and I've fired probably a total of 600 rounds through it so far.

It get's cleaned about every 100 rounds. This is the first time I've inspected the barrel with a fiber optic light so I don't know if they've been there awhile or not.

So the question is, what do I do now?

tstr
Old May 23, 2001, 07:10 AM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Tstr, you might see if Beretta will warranty the barrel but I imagine they might say you didn't take care of it properly or something to that effect. I believe the only recourse for you is a new bbl. George
Old May 23, 2001, 11:41 AM   #3
BigG

Hi, tstr. That is unusual and unfortunate.

George: Despite the pitting, if the accuracy is OK he could probably keep shooting it for years. I have shot plenty of military guns with pitting like nobody's business that shot well. For example, the Luger can have a bbl that looks like the moon's surface and still be accurate as a target pistol. HTH
o "The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." Assyrian tablet, c. 2800 BC

o "In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain

o "They have gun control in Cuba. They have universal health care in Cuba. So why do they want to come here?" Paul Harvey

o TODAY WE CARVE OUT OUR OWN OMENS! Leonidas, Thermopylae, 480 BC
Old May 23, 2001, 12:30 PM   #4
SIC TRANSIT GLORIA MUNDI

A pitted barrel? O Shame! Shame! Shame! You should be struck about the head with a blunt instument repeatedly, poked in the eye with a sharp stick, and be forced to hop down the street in public shouting "Me bad! Me bad! Me bad!" while wearing a sign around your neck that says "Pitted Barrel" in bright red letters! Don't let it happen again.