The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 10, 2015, 08:53 PM   #1
fishhead1

.41 Specials from .41 Magnum Brass?

Awhile back I found a couple of articles online (one an April 2011 exert from "Shooting Times" and the other from a site called 'sixguns.com") discussing and describing the process of creating .41 "Special" ammo from .41 Magnum cases. The process involved shaving down .41 Magnum brass to "replicate" .41 Special cases (which, heretofore, didn't exactly exist), then loading to full-up .41 "Special" rounds with recommended projectile/powder combinations.
Having a couple of .41 Mag revolvers, the articles drew my interest. Sooo, was wondering if anyone out there has actually tried this; and,if so, what were the results. (OK, you're probably saying "Why would you want to do this"? It presents an interesting reloading challenge is about all I can say)
Old February 11, 2015, 08:04 AM   #2
griz

My understanding (I've never owned one) is that the 41 "Special" can be chambered in revolvers that are physically too small to handle the pressures of the 41 Mag.
Old February 11, 2015, 08:54 AM   #3
TimSr

Quote:
OK, you're probably saying "Why would you want to do this"?
I'm still wondering. As I understand it, .41 Special revolvers do not exist, except as a wildcat, therefore I don't understand the point in trimming the cases shorter to shoot reduced loads in a .41 magnum when plenty of .41 magnum reduced load data in normal cases is readily available.
Old February 11, 2015, 09:01 AM   #4
ligonierbill

The article is on the web. Apparently some custom revolvers have been made. It goes back to Elmer Keith and the 41 Colt. But I think the 44 Spl has taken that role in smaller revolvers. I like the old 41.
Old February 11, 2015, 03:21 PM   #5
T. O'Heir

According to Taffin, the .41 Special is what Elmer Keith, Skeeter Skelton, and Bill Jordan asked for as the perfect defensive six gun. They got the .41 Magnum instead and nobody else wanted it.
No such thing unless you make it. As mentioned, there's no point in cutting .41 Mag cases for something you can't get, but can just down load.
And you'll probably want to re-think the idea as .41 Mag brass is either just plain unavailable, seasonal or iffy. According to Midway.
http://www.sixguns.com/tests/tt41spec.htm
Old February 11, 2015, 04:12 PM   #6
Tom68

not to mention that if you were shooting cut-down .41 Mag brass in a 41. Mag revolver, you'd have to clean the crud in the cylinders the same way we do after shooting .38 Spc in our .357 magnum revolvers.
Old February 11, 2015, 11:37 PM   #7
GeauxTide

Just load 8gr of Unique or Power Pistol under 215 cast and there you go.
Old February 12, 2015, 10:28 AM   #8
Mike Irwin
Staff

It's been discussed here a number of times over the years.

I've tried loading 215-gr. LSWC .41 special loads in .41 Magnum brass, but wasn't all that impressed.

I was getting some evidence of keyholing around, IIRC, 750 fps.

Recoil was very light out of my Model 58, but to be honest, it's almost as light with loads running around 900-950 fps, and those are absolute laser beams out of my gun.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.