The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 8, 2012, 05:58 AM   #1
MLeake

Who needs a rifle, shotgun or a pistol?

My wife just bagged a large doe with her car...

I don't think the DOC people let her harvest the meat, though, which is too bad considering we are out the $500 deductible.

But I don't think her dad got his deer last year's black powder season, so she's ahead of him.
Old October 8, 2012, 06:33 AM   #2
mete

A skilled driver will take the deer with little or no damage to the car. If you live in a good state they'll let you keepthe deer !
Old October 8, 2012, 07:24 AM   #3
Jack O'Conner

Most times, the deer's body is badly bruised by impact. The bruises consist of tiny blood clots which ar unedible. Sometimes the entrails are mashed and smelly, too. I pass on road kills every time. Hey, crows gotta eat, too!

Jack
Old October 8, 2012, 08:45 AM   #4
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

"...the deer's body is badly bruised by impact."

How many times do I have to tell you guys, "Don't hit 'em in the eatin' part!"?
Old October 8, 2012, 04:42 PM   #5
2damnold4this

I'm sorry about the accident and I hope your wife is ok. It is too bad they won't let you eat the meat.
Old October 8, 2012, 05:14 PM   #6
smokiniron

.Special bumper guards are available that just snap their necks and leave the meat undamaged. You see them all the time on Highway Patrol cars. They say they're just for pushing stranded motorists, but I think more for thinning out errant roaming deer....

...just sayin'
and a few defensive firearms, too!
Old October 8, 2012, 05:16 PM   #7
Buzzard Bait

heavy Bullets anyone?

This does prove the effectiveness of the slow moving heavy bullet.
bb
Old October 9, 2012, 04:15 AM   #8
MLeake

I'm out of the country (sandbox time again), so I first heard about this via email from the wife.

Since I'm out of the country, the first person she called was her dad.

I was very amused to find out that the first two questions he asked her were almost exactly the same two questions I asked her in my reply email:

1) How are YOU and the baby? (The wife is expecting.)

2) Are you going to keep the deer?

Gotta love it.

Anyway, she was in her car, not my truck, so she had nowhere to put the doe. It turns out that, in Missouri, you CAN harvest the deer, but you first have to notify the Department of Conservation, who will send a warden to verify the accident and provide a deer tag.

But this situation didn't lend itself to that.

Think we may get her small car repaired, then trade it on a truck or SUV. Her route to work has had several deer strikes lately, and frankly it was just luck that this doe did not come through the windshield.
Old October 9, 2012, 07:49 AM   #9
RevGeo

From experience I have learned that a .460 Wby has nothing on a '73 Buick Centurion when it comes to killing power on deer.
Old October 9, 2012, 04:07 PM   #10
bswiv

""This does prove the effectiveness of the slow moving heavy bullet.""

We have a winner!!!!
Old October 9, 2012, 08:06 PM   #11
Buzzcook

A friend of mine got a deer with a 1950s Lincoln Continental. It was some of the best venison I've ever had'
Old October 10, 2012, 05:20 PM   #12
treg

Just think how many guys spend $500+ on a rifle and never get a deer.
Old October 10, 2012, 08:54 PM   #13
Cowboy_mo

Sorry about your wife's accident. Glad she wasn't injured.

FYI, MO dept of conservation will allow you to keep the deer. If she had called the police and asked, they would have given her permission.
Old October 11, 2012, 12:18 PM   #14
taz1

here in Ohio the police can write a possion tag and give it to you. Some areas have call lists and will call to see if you want it - saves on road crew clean up costs.

Seems like all the deer know when we are in our little car as they jump in the road everywhere but when I'm in my old 3/4 ton truck there isn't one to be seen.
Old October 11, 2012, 01:32 PM   #15
pgdion

Bummer MLeake!!!

We (Ok I, but the family was with so I'm calling it a team effort ) hit one last spring with my wife's truck. Yep $500 out the window. All fascia / 'bumper' damage too. Wish we'd have had my truck (steel bumper and a good grill guard). Actually I just wish they still made trucks like trucks instead of like cars.

Big bummer is I have my eye on a CZ75B compact that costs $529. The way I see it ... that stupid deer stole my gun!

Feel for ya man.
Old October 11, 2012, 04:48 PM   #16
markj

Wife just hit another one 2 weeks ago, 250 deductable too. I have hit over 6 in the truck so far....
Old October 12, 2012, 02:47 AM   #17
MLeake

So, in case she hits one while driving my Avalanche... how bloodshot do they typically get? How much meat is typically salvageable?

I don't like to see them go to waste.
Old October 12, 2012, 03:56 AM   #18
Single Six

Glad that your family is okay, MLeake. In the area I patrol, we have a certifiable over-abundance of Bambi. However, we lose more deer to Chevys and Fords than we ever will to Remingtons and Rugers. I recall two deer/car collisions in particular that I responded to. In the first, the driver had just dropped off his wife at work and wasn't even 300 yards from her workplace. He hit the large doe head on, and the deer went right through his windshield. She landed, dead, in the front passenger seat...where the man's wife had been sitting only moments before. In the other one, I arrived on scene after a Ford Explorer had slammed into a good sized buck at about 55 mph. The deer looked as though he'd had a grenade go off inside of him; he was literally spread out over 150 feet of road from the point of impact. Amazingly, the Ford had not one scratch or dent. In fact, the only sign that it had hit a deer was the fur caught in the front grille. In both of these incidents, there were no human injuries involved, which is always a good thing...but, frankly, I wish that bow hunting would be allowed in the city limits...it would make my job a lot easier.
Old October 12, 2012, 09:52 PM   #19
sc928porsche

Gad, they just dont make bumpers like they used to. Just get an old model A and bounce them off the bumper and toss them in the rumble seat.
Old October 12, 2012, 11:02 PM   #20
MLeake

This occurred on a highway just northeast of the 435 beltway around KC.

Just got the revised insurance estimate: Doe did $4700+ in damage to the car. Deductible is still just $500.

My body shop guy is also my local FFL for transfers; if I give him any more business he may have to put a framed picture of me up in his shop...

Luckily, wife grew up on a farm, driving tractors and heavy trucks. She used to have an F350 dually for hauling a six-horse trailer on a goose-neck, so she's not opposed to the idea of a larger vehicle than the econobox she bought while she was in school full-time.

I never did like that little car... seats are not kind to my back.