The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 10, 2006, 12:11 PM   #1
MEDDAC19

Is this load adequate for whitetail?

I have not been able to find any SWCs or LRN loads for my .357 so I'm thinking of settling for this loading. I can get 180gr JHPs. They will be coming out of a 6" tube, all shots will be under 50 yds, more than likely under 30 yds. I'm hunting with a rifle, but I will be carrying the pistol for an up close opportunity if it arises.

Last season, during the either sex days, I had a doe about 10 ft away that I really would have liked to take with a pistol. This season I am going to bring the .357 along for just that type of scenario. So back to the point, is this load good enough?
Old October 10, 2006, 12:16 PM   #2
Wild Bill Bucks

It will be plenty. Hold shots inside of 50 yards, and practice with a 6" pie plate.

I had the same scenerio about 8 years ago, and I bought my Ruger .44 magnum for just such an occasion. Only problem was, I carried it for five years before the situation arrived for me to be able to use it. When the situation did arise, it did the job fine.
Old October 10, 2006, 12:45 PM   #3
Capp35

I am going to use the Winchester 180gr Nosler Partition rounds.
From the reviews that I have read, they are the best factory .357 load for hunting.