The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 16, 2006, 10:22 AM   #1
onlybrowning

Federal 210 primers

Tis question is regarding Federal 210 primers...anyone ever had a misfire with one? I have reloaded for a few years now, and have never had a misfire with anything. I do not handle any primer with my fingers and they are stored properly. I have a really accurate 150 grain load for my .308 that I made a bunch of, and I shot 6-7 of them yesterday and one of them went "snap." The firing pine strike was very hard and looked good otherwise too. Any ideas? I really cant trust this load to hunt with now.
Old February 17, 2006, 10:27 AM   #2
jclaude

Misfires

I started switching over to all Federal primers about 15 years ago, after experienceing some unexplained misfires with some CCI 500s. I haven't had a misfire yet, with any of the Federals.

But then again, I used CCI primers exclusively for over 20 years before I had an isolated problem with them!

I don't think there is such a thing as 100% reliability when it comes to ammunition. There will always be some kind of chance of some kind of failure, regardless of whose components you use or whose new ammo you shoot.