The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old September 27, 2004, 06:06 AM   #76
stevelyn

There shouldn't be any disagreement on tradition or traditional rifles vs in-lines. Truth is, in-lines would have been the natural evolution of the
sidelock muzzleloading rifle, had that evolution not been interupted by development of the breach loading cartridge rifle.
Old October 19, 2004, 07:15 PM   #77
Bezoar

Inlines and "primitive season"

Sure the thread is "closed" but I should be able to add something to the whole point of the question at hand.

First is cost, sure you can get nice sidelocks for 300 dollars, even less if its an unfinished kit. But anyone can go to walmart and purchase an inline rifle with everything except caps and powder for well under 200 dollars.

Second comes accuracy and stopping power. Even though we have been hunting for different lengths of time we should all be able to admit that putting a ball, sabot, conical, minnie, and or maxie ball into a deer in a way that it cause death as quickly and humanely possible.

When Jimmy Mac says he can put his ROUND ball into a deers heart at 100yards everytime and get that deer, he simply scares me. A round ball from a rifle just wont have much kinetic energy at that range, so we shouldnt take shots like those with a roundball. Sure a sidelock with a maxie ball could drop that deer quickly, and even the 310grn .451 sabots i use can if i wanted to at 200 yards, but whats the point if your hunting in heavy woods like i do?
Old October 19, 2004, 08:26 PM   #78
Charles S

Dave McC got it right.

Quote:
What counts is what we hold in our hearts, not what we hold in our hands.
I hunt with a compound bow. Do I think that I am more or less correct than anyone else? I welcome anyone to the hunting fraternity and I will not disparage or attempt to outlaw anyone else’s equipment.

Quote:
We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately.
Franklin

I truly admire the bow hunters who choose to make their own bows and hunt with wooden arrows. I will never achieve that level of competence, nor will I have that amount of time. Should I quit hunting?

I really think we need to accept everyone who chooses to hunt and attempt to educate all hunters in an effort to eliminate the slob hunter and the slob hunter perception.

Just my thoughts,

Charles
Old November 8, 2004, 11:29 PM   #79
drinks

Re; Post # 22

Jimmy;
What happened to your style?
You only managed to misspell one word in Post # 22, amazing!
Have you been scamming us all this time?
Don
Old November 8, 2004, 11:47 PM   #80
drinks

Inline

Bluridgdav;
Are you aware inline ignition has been around since at least 1836?
WOO-WOO, every one who used a revolver before , during , and after the Civil War[including revolving rifles and carbines and all the other inventor's ideas that did not involve side hammers , chipped stone, pyrites and strikers or slow matches]
were cheating and trying to steal YOUR SEASON!
Don
Old January 6, 2005, 05:07 PM   #81
BUCKeyeHUNTER

i was just browsing when.....

i came upon this thread and couldn't resist to comment.now that i'm here,i feel too complacent to wanna reiterate against another man's philosophy of hunting how to.i'm sure if dan boone was here he'd pick that the dangbernedest straight shootinest and easiest to maintianancest gun this side of the missipp he could find.i also bet a nickel he'd check out one of them fancy shooting quick eyeballin scopes too.......them bears are fast,i'm tellin ya.
anyway,i think muzzleloadin is fun as all tarnation and hope you do too.....adieo
Old January 6, 2005, 07:57 PM   #82
BluRidgDav

No doubt about it,

"Dan Boone (would) pick . . . the dangbernedest straight shootinist easiest to maintianancest gun . . . (with) one of them fancy shooting quick eyeballin scopes too".

But, I don't see how that should entitle him a special season in which to hunt?

All you in-line fellas need to start sneakin' your Glocks and AR-15's into all the Cowboy Actions matches that you can. Cause we all know that everyone has a Right to as much Range Time as he can get. There's no use lettin' all those Single Action Purists have that one whole weekend, all to themselves. Besides, Wyatt Earp woulda packed a tricked-out CQB autoloader with laser sights to the OK corral, if'n he'd a had one, Right?
Old January 8, 2005, 11:11 AM   #83
oconnell

i shoot inlines H&R huntsman but I hunt with 75 cal brown bess or if the weather is real nice i will use 75 cal matchlock musket the modern muzzle loading rifles are neet but lack any tradition or history wich is 80% of the sport What iam trying to say is inlines are not blackpowder muzzle loaders what they are is modern rifle shoot pyrodex &777 plastic sabots jacketed bullets That just happen to be muzzle loading its kinda cheaten and should not be allowed during black powder hunting season that should be restricted to pre 1865 orignals or reproductions the inlines should be used during the regular season as many of these rifles have the preformance of modern high power rifles and in states like mine where you can hunt deer with a shotgun or muzzleloader only these inlines are an atractive option
Old January 8, 2005, 12:24 PM   #84
gfen

Y'know, I'm not a hunter. I'm a guy who likes to goto the range and shoot. I was out of this hobby for many, many years but I recall once, about a decade ago, at one of the PA Gamelands ranges seeing a guy with an inline rifle (not that I knew thats what it was called til now, mind you).

The feeling I left with that day was one of wonder, mostly "what's the point?" It just doesn't seem nearly as fun, in its way, as shooting an old-style muzzleloader. I can understand why both sides of people are up in arms over this, but most of all I agree with the oldschool muzzleloader types.. If you're gonna do it, do it the right way. A high-tech inline rifle doesn't seem any different than a centerfire rifle, except one comes in convienent brass carrying cases, and one you've got to put together yourself.

-shrug-

I guess there's no point to this post, other than to throw in support behind the tradiionalists. Then, you're also talking to a guy who still believes in carrying a 20# view camera on his back, and loading each sheet of film by hand. Sure, a digital camera may take (almost) the same picture, but in a smaller, lighter, vastly more convienent package.. But it ain't the same, not the same at all.