The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old September 20, 2016, 11:46 AM   #1
Stick Man

Suggest me a Muzzleloader or Muzzleloader Kit

Hello, I'm completely inexperienced with muzzle loaders, but looking to get in to the sport. I basically want to find a good quality but plain Jane working rifle. I want to go with a percussion but am willing to go with a flint if need be. I prefer Eastern styled rifles to Western styled ones. Whether it is production or custom doesn't matter to me, but it needs to be quality. I'm willing to spend what it takes, but if the price were to be from $1000 to $1600 that would be preferred. I'd prefer a pre-finished and assembled rifle, but am willing to go with a kit. Lastly, I want something with a big bore, 62 or 58 caliber preferably. This rifle would be for elk, and hopefully one day black bear.
Thanks.
Anybody know anything about Tennessee Valley Muzzleloaders?
Old September 20, 2016, 12:51 PM   #2
DD4lifeusmc

I sent you a PM (private message)
Old September 20, 2016, 02:23 PM   #3
rodwhaincamo

Dixie Gun Works dot com carries a nice variety of guns. Pedersoli is a good brand (many of the Dixie guns are theirs). I'm unfamiliar with custom rifles other than they are pricey. Likely to find something in your budget or close to it.
Old September 20, 2016, 02:53 PM   #4
Rookie21

Tip Curtis Frontier Shop. Look him up. Best kits. High quality parts. And he'll help you with what ever you need. He is in TN and advertises in the NMLRA magazine Muzzle Blasts.
Old September 20, 2016, 07:37 PM   #5
reinert

You might want to check this site out, also:

www.sittingfoxmuzzleloaders.com
Old September 20, 2016, 08:18 PM   #6
Hawg

Pecatonica River doesn't sell kits but they sell parts sets to build your own. All of their stuff is top quality. http://www.longrifles-pr.com/ You might check with Wyosmith here but I don't know what his backlog is.
Old September 20, 2016, 11:02 PM   #7
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Captchee or Wyosmith. Both are excellent builders of B/P rifles. One thing about custom built rifles. There built to your needs & measurements not one size fits all. From a plain jane working mans rifle all the way up to Extra Fancy Collectable. Its a buyers call.

BTW: both gunsmiths commented are Members of this web site.
Old September 20, 2016, 11:10 PM   #8
4V50 Gary
Staff

Jim Chambers Flintlocks.
Old September 20, 2016, 11:22 PM   #9
Hawg

I didn't mention Captchee because I think he has a pretty good backlog. Wouldn't hurt to ask tho and I know his work is topnotch.
Old September 21, 2016, 12:07 AM   #10
Stick Man

I've read a lot of the Firing Line threads, so I'm familiar with both the user names mentioned. I'd be interested in getting the guys' contact info (even if I don't buy a rifle from one or either right now, I'd like to have it for future reference. For some reason, I believe that once I buy my first BP it won't be my last) and hearing how much their products run. It's always good to know of reliable makers of good products. This is why I asked on a forum, you can't get all this info from Google.
Some rifles I'm already considering are a few different models from Tennessee Valley Muzzleloaders: the Tennessee, Southern, and Early Virginia particularly. Their .58 calibers come with a 1:56 twist, which as I understand is faster than ideal for patched round balls. I emailed them asking if they could make a rifle with a slower twist. They told me they might be able to get a one from Rice barrels but it would constitute a price increase. I'm hoping to get some more specifics tomorrow.
I've also emailed Cabin Creek asking what an assembled rifle runs for an what calibers he offers.
I'm not pulling the trigger on anything until I get some info about the mentioned resident gun makers, though.
Old September 21, 2016, 01:41 AM   #11
Wyosmith

Here I am!
Even if you don't buy anything from me, I give advice for free, and I love muzzleloading guns so I don't get tired of talking about them.

Drop me a line and I'll give you all the help I can
Old September 22, 2016, 09:24 AM   #12
Roshi

Lyman Great Plains

I suggest the Lyman Great Plains in .54 with a percussion lock.

I built one from a kit and it was my mule deer rifle for a number of years. Accurate and powerful good game getting rifle out to 125 yards.
Old September 22, 2016, 10:30 AM   #13
FrontierGander

try the Hawken Shop as well.
Old September 22, 2016, 10:36 AM   #14
Pahoo

Welcome to our "Great-Adventure"

Quote:
I prefer Eastern styled rifles to Western styled ones.
Not sure where and how you make the distinction and reading the spirit of your post. ......

To start out, I would "suggest" purchasing a finished rifle, work with it and then tackle a kit. Your price range is very generous so a Pedersoli comes to mind. A step down would be a Lyman but they are pretty much half-stocks. As far as a swamped barrel, that is pretty much a custom maker and they make a number of swamped configurations. ....

Keep in touch of what you buy and;
Be Safe !!!
Old September 25, 2016, 01:31 AM   #15
Pathfinder45

Pardon my ignorance, but what is a swamped barrel?
Old September 25, 2016, 03:11 AM   #16
Hawg

A swamped barrel tapers from the breech to about 10 inches from the muzzle then flares back out again.
Old September 25, 2016, 07:56 AM   #17
foolzrushn

Stick Man

You may already know or have information on inleting or seating a barrel (bedding?).

But you might find this article by Budd Davisson on airbum.com interesting as you think about building your kit, just to get your thought processes going. He mentions a swamped barrel and gives some construction tips that could apply to any build.

Perhaps this type of info is in one of the links given by others....I didn't check them out. I'm know there is lots of good info right here on this forum (Captchee, Wyosmith, searching 'kit building' ect.).

http://www.airbum.com/NeatShtpix/HainesPart3.html

To start at the beginning of this article about building a Kentucky flinter.....

http://www.airbum.com/NeatShtpix/HainesPart1.html

sharp tools + wood = bandaids (at my house)

certified 'soap welder'

Last edited by foolzrushn; September 25, 2016 at 08:06 AM.
Old January 13, 2017, 06:42 PM   #18
Navy_CWO

Kit Rifle

I recently bought a Pedersoli flintlock kit and while I have had to do quite a bit of finishing on the stock and the brass parts, it is a nice kit. Instructions are pretty sparse however. It come partially assembled and you need to disassemble it to finish the stock and the barrel. The trigger will need some smoothing; but it turned out to be a nice firearm. It came with a flint installed which gave off a nice strong spark. BTW I got it from Dixie Gun Works.
Old January 13, 2017, 08:04 PM   #19
JACKlangrishe

Whatever you get.. make sure to post lots of pics!
Old January 15, 2017, 08:17 AM   #20
B.L.E.

If you live anywhere close to southern Indiana, you might make plans to visit the National Muzzle Loading Rifle Association's annual spring shoot in Friendship Indiana, also known as "The Nationals". There's usually a huge vendor's row and probably a lot of guns on the trading table. It's a week long event that usually starts on the second Saturday of June.
Anybody who is anybody in muzzle loading will likely be there.