The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Closed Thread

Old May 10, 2011, 10:18 PM   #1
Marco Califo

Qualifying with multi-calibers - Advantage Glock

I just passed firearms qualification with 3 calibers, back-to-back-to-back, all on the first go.

1. 40 S&W with my stock G23
2. 9mm with my G26 fitted with a G19 barrel and magazine plus grip extender
3. 45 ACP with a G30 range gun

I was going to use a range gun for 9mm because I haven't been shooting the G26 well. But, I did so well with the G23 that I went ahead with the G26.

This was easy to do, due to the common operation of all Glocks. I also believe that Glocks, right out of the box, are a known constant. Therefore, I believe I could qualify with ANY caliber Glock with no preparation.

I gotta get me a G30. 10 rounds of 45 ACP in the same package size as a G23.

Last edited by Marco Califo; May 11, 2011 at 12:38 AM.
Old May 10, 2011, 11:00 PM   #2
ar15sh00ter

Marco,
What did you think of the G30 compared to the G27 shooting wise. I have a G27 myself and have been thinking about getting a G30. Also just wanted to know what you thought wise of shooting them both and what you thought wise of comfort and out of the box accuracy. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Old May 10, 2011, 11:14 PM   #3
Marco Califo

I like the G30 a lot. Recoil really was not much of an issue in any of the 3 calibers. Well, the 45 is louder, and more of a push-back than the other 2. I find Glocks are consistent gun to gun and caliber to caliber. My G26 is fitted out like a G19, and I used the G19 magazine for all shooting. So, I think you are asking how your G27 would compare to the G30. My answer is that I think you will get more wrist/grip twist in the smaller gun, whereas in the G30, I felt my whole body rock back.

I do like Glocks as they come - stock, because of the consistency. Sure I could say the trigger is "mushy", but once you are accustomed to it, it does not impede shooting. I am sure a lot of people want or get customizations for this or that. But to me that defeats the advantage of consistency from gun to gun.

I am not a competition target shooter. Those people may need something else. But I am content picking any Glock out of a pile, and knowing I am going to shoot a course of fire respectably.
Old May 11, 2011, 03:02 AM   #4
AZAK

Location: the object towards which the action of the sea is directed
Congratulations on your qualifications!

Quote:
I do like Glocks as they come - stock, because of the consistency.
Over the years Glocks have begun to "branch out" a bit.

There are a few differences between models and generations: compensated (GxxC), single stack (G36), interchangeable back straps (Gen 4), finger grooves and not, offered different frame dimensions (SF), full auto (G18), different recoil assemblies, drop free and not mags, straight blowback (G25)...
And I find that there are different shooting characteristics between say a G29, a G36 and a G21C.
The stock triggers are consistent.

Enjoy your Glocks.
Old May 11, 2011, 03:47 AM   #5
NWCP

You could do the same with the HK USP series of pistols.
Old May 11, 2011, 06:12 AM   #6
sailskidrive

hmmm....

What were you "qualifying" for?
Hk USP 45 Expert, USP 40, USP 9, SIG P226, S&W M&P9, Hk 4, Makarov, Desert Eagle 40, Beretta FS92 Centurion, Kimber TLEII 1911A1, Glock 22, SIG P225, 1943 Rem Rand 1911A1, S&W mod 64, Walther PPQ, SIG P229, Browning BDA 45 (SIG P220), Hk45, SIG P230
Old May 11, 2011, 09:43 AM   #7
Marco Califo

Quote:
hmmm....
What were you "qualifying" for?
Get out your scantron form and a #2 pencil:

1. What were you "qualifying" for?
a. That is need-to-know, and you don't.
b. That is need-to-know, and I don't need for you to know.
c. Secret world government thought police (SWGTP); they are watching you.
d. [Redacted.]
e. a, b and d are true; and c. cannot be discussed.
Old May 11, 2011, 12:20 PM   #8
scottl

Must not have been important then
Old May 11, 2011, 12:20 PM   #9
BigJimP

You can do the same thing --- with three different 1911's ....one in 9mm, one in .40S&W and one in .45acp ....( if you wanted to ). And with way less variation between the 3 guns ....than you had in the Glocks.
Old May 11, 2011, 12:34 PM   #10
macsters

Quote:
You can do the same thing --- with three different 1911's ....one in 9mm, one in .40S&W and one in .45acp ....( if you wanted to ). And with way less variation between the 3 guns ....than you had in the Glocks.
and you can also pay 1.5x as much, as well as be limited to single stack mags, unless you want to pay even more than the increased cost you would already be paying. plus, you might end up with different manufacturers.

or, the OP can stick with glock and have perhaps slightly more variation, but pay less, have one company to deal with if there is ever a problem, and use much larger magazines, as well as use the style of grip he is clearly proficient and most comfortable with.

just my $.02.

edit: one more thing. just for kicks and giggles, you should consider a g20. 10mm is a hard hitting round (in both directions, unfortunately)
Old May 11, 2011, 01:27 PM   #11
AZAK

Location: the object towards which the action of the sea is directed
Consistency Advantage...

Quote:
(Not to mention that you have additional chamberings available in the 1911 platform including 10mm auto.)

Quote:
You could do the same with the HK USP series of pistols.
You can even get HiPoints in three of the more popular: .380 acp, 9mm Para, and .45 acp.

The Glock does have this "advantage" in consistency stated by the OP:
Quote:
...because of the consistency. Sure I could say the trigger is "mushy"...
(In all fairness, Glocks do have a short reset.)

If the OP personally believes than he does.
Old May 11, 2011, 01:37 PM   #12
Boats

Being limited to single stack mags? OH NOES!!!

Perhaps you should try hitting what you are aiming at.
Old May 11, 2011, 01:49 PM   #13
BigJimP

I understand the cost issue on well made 1911's vs Glocks ....and you're right / I easily spent 5 times more for a good 1911 than I would have had to spend on a Glock ....but I'm 100 times happier with them as well ( so it was money well spent in my opinion / even though I spent about $8 K on all 3 guns combined...(1 used, 2 new ).

but in my case, I went to the same mfg ( same 5" barrel, same specs on the options, etc ) ...and the same specs on the trigger at 3 1/2 lbs ...and the single stack mags are the least of my worries....because I can hit what I'm shooting at ...

a. The 1911 trigger design is far superior to the triggers in 3 different Glock models.
b. The fit, grip, feel, sights, controls, etc on all 3 guns ...is virtually identical on all three 1911's ...and that is clearly not the case for the 3 models of glocks.

Advantage clearly goes to the identical 1911's in 3 different calibers - over 3 different models of glocks....unless you consider the acquisition cost ....but for me, long after I've forgotten what I paid for those 3 guns ...the quality will still be amazing and sweet / maybe for well over the next generation or two or three !!
Old May 11, 2011, 01:56 PM   #14
armsmaster270

You could also do it with a Sig Sauer. My 226 does .40 S&W & 357 Sig with only a barrel change. Then I have the 220 in .45ACP and 228 in 9mm
Old May 11, 2011, 02:14 PM   #15
Mudinyeri

You could do it with multiple manufacturers really. I like my Glocks, but they certainly haven't cornered the market on multiple calibers all with the same operational functions.

With that said, try qualifying with a Glock 9mm and then jumping to a 10mm. Unless your qualification is a single round sequence, i.e. no double or triple taps, I guarantee that you'll struggle a bit.

@Boats - ever qualified on a two-way range? How high was your hit percentage? IIRC, there's an FBI study that says the average LEO gets 10% of his or her rounds on target in a firefight. If you're carrying eight or nine rounds, that's less than one round on target per magazine.
Old May 11, 2011, 03:19 PM   #16
Rugerismisticness

A 1911 comes in many more calibers than a glock, even .357mag if you count a Coonan "1911".
Old May 11, 2011, 03:59 PM   #17
Marco Califo

Course of fire

The course of fire did include double taps, triple taps, and timed reloads. It also included single hand strong side, and single hand weak side, and kneeling/barricade.

http://www.bsis.ca.gov/forms_pubs/firearms_manual.pdf

Course of fire is on page 89.
Old May 11, 2011, 06:08 PM   #18
BigJimP

Its a good standard course of fire ...that I've seen a lot ... nothing exotic.

You obviously shot it well with all 3 calibers ... ( but imagine how much better you could have been with some good 1911's ) ... don't get offended, just yanking your chain ....

A glock isn't my preferred platform ...with the exception of the model 34or model 35 ....the triggers and grip angle really don't suit me / but I'm an old school 1911 guy ...( my preferred guns are all made by Wilson Combat ).
Old May 11, 2011, 06:41 PM   #19
Marco Califo

1911's

I like the 1911, once owned one, and shot it well. However, as a duty weapon it has certain drawbacks:

1. Carrying in condition one: round in the chamber, hammer back, manual safety on. Safety of this was hotly debated in the 1980's. Do they have drop safety's now?
2. Not carrying in condition one: Why carry it then?
3. Insurance rates and department/agency/security company regulations. Most just forbade it.
4. More to my point, not every 1911 necessarily shares common operation, or, more importantly common trigger pulls. I was looking at a Rock Island one that even took down differently. All you 1911 owners, well, if yours is stock as it came, then stand up and clap with one hand.
5. Magazine capacity. 1911's lose.

My point is Glocks are consistent and uniform, and entirely usable right out of the box. They are also very cost effective at around half the price of 1911's and Sigs.

Last edited by Marco Califo; May 11, 2011 at 07:14 PM.
Old May 11, 2011, 07:07 PM   #20
NJgunowner

Sig p226
9mm
.40 s&w
.357 sig
.22 lr with conversion kit

P220 almost exact same gun as the p226 but chambered in .45

I'll stick with sigs.
Old May 11, 2011, 07:22 PM   #21
Boats

Quote:
My point is Glocks are consistent and uniform, and entirely usable right out of the box. They are also very cost effective at around half the price of 1911's and Sigs.
Toyota Corollas are consistent, uniform, and entirely useable in stock form. I wouldn't settle for one though.

When boiled down, your sole Glock "advantage" is only such if it is in one's nature to be a cheapskate as it has been amply pointed out that many pistol series come in virtually identical models in a array of calibers.
Old May 11, 2011, 07:43 PM   #22
Marco Califo

So Boots

So Boots,

Exactly what sidearm is your duty weapon, the one that you and your peers are qualified with?

Or, are you just exercising your constitutional right to flap your keys?:barf:
Old May 11, 2011, 07:52 PM   #23
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Well, well, well. Lookie here. Another childish bickering Glock thread.

Closed to save face of certain members being dealt with since I don't put kids into corners. I send them to the orphanage...

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Closed Thread

Tags
40 s&w , 45 auto , 9mm , glock