The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old November 27, 2008, 02:51 AM   #1
troy_mclure

ccw near calls or worse

since its the christmas crime season lets hear your close calls.

heres mine from a few weeks or so.

went for a ride on my buell, not 5 mins from my house i see a wreck, guy just in front of me drifts onto the shoulder and runs the front end of his car up under the back of this old ladies van.

i immediately pull over in front of the van. take off my helmet and walk back to check on the old lady.
just as i get to the door of the van the guy comes out of his car screaming and yelling profanity, and stuff to the old lady.
he reaches back in to his car, and its instantly like bells, and whistles blowing.
i rip off my right glove, and i am lifting my riding jacket and reaching when he comes out with a crow bar.
i step away from the van and wait. the guy is about a step from my "safe zone" when a cop hits his siren and pulls across the median. the cop just stops mid lane blocking traffic, steps out of his cruiser and starts yelling at the guy.
the guy had taken about 2 steps toward the cop and in the fastest draw ive seen in real life the cop whips out his tazer and fires.
theguy just drops and starts flopping, it was great!

the old lady comes up beside me as the cop is cuffing him and asks me if the cop was being a bit rough.
i said not at all, he was about 3 feet from being dead before the cop got there.
id never seen anybody looked poleaxed before, its the perfect description tho.
she gets back in the van and locks the door. i started laughing and could barely stop, friggen adrenal chuckles.

anyways the cop gets the guy in his car, pulls it behind the wreck, and gets out.

as he walks up to me i can tell he is wired too, so i keep my hands wide.
after i tell him i am carrying w/ccw he relaxes.
he says he was glad i didnt shoot the guy as that would have been alot of paperwork, and his weekend started in 2 hrs.

so i filled out the witness report statement and went home.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old November 27, 2008, 06:35 AM   #2
Brit

Adrenalin!

Adrenalin, great stuff, the Police Officers reply was full of it!
Old November 27, 2008, 01:22 PM   #3
jrothWA

This a good case of...

TIMING!

Nice the LEO had an open mind.
Old November 28, 2008, 11:08 PM   #4
PhoenixConflagration

This didn't happen to me, it happened to a friend. He used to work for an electrical contractor and drove a company van with all the tools and equipment in it. He stopped at a light and a car pulled around him and cut him off. Some guys got out of it as another car pulled up behind. His passenger side door happened to be unlocked and one of the guys just got in the van with him. By the time the two guys in the second car got out and came towards him, he had his gun pointed at the head of the man in his van. That guy started screaming that he had a gun, and wailing in general, so his buddies all jumped back in their cars and left him. My friend didn't pull the trigger since the guy didn't have anything in his hand, and when it became apparent that he wasn't going to shoot, the BG just got out and ran. My friend was only a few blocks from home, so he just drove home and called the cops.
Old November 29, 2008, 02:17 AM   #5
Wagonman

I am so tired of civilians like the old lady commenting on police tactics, The cop would have been totally justified in using deadly force on Mr. crowbar.

I feel more and more like Col. Jessup everyday.

Just yesterday I had Ms BHL ask me why I had my weapon out when we were doing a T-stop on a $200 jalopy with $1500 worth of rims on it and four heads in it. I told her that I am going home to my family tonight and if she had a problem she could call 911 and ask for a sergeant.

Not to mention the mother of the curfew violator yelling at me for picking on her son when I returned him home. If the police had ever brought me home my father would have broken my jaw for embarassing him.
Old November 29, 2008, 12:33 PM   #6
mpage

Good to see the cops using the taser for that which it was designed for.
Old November 30, 2008, 01:12 AM   #7
SavageMOA

Quote:
Not to mention the mother of the curfew violator yelling at me for picking on her son when I returned him home. If the police had ever brought me home my father would have broken my jaw for embarassing him.
This is a major problem with our society lately. I'm 19 years old, and my father would (I say "would" because both my parents put the fear of God in me, which has kept me in line.)

A long time friend of mine barely finished high school, and has recently dropped out of college because his parents never disciplined him.

I once heard him tell his mother she could "go to hell" as he turned and walked away. She turns to me and asks "what am I going to do about him?" My reply was simple. "You could try knocking the crap out of him. Worked for my parents." She said she couldn't do that because she didn't want to hurt him.

Sorry for that long and off topic post. But I think that a great number of these "close calls" could be completely avoided if the parents of these delinquents had instilled a sense of discipline in them as well as teaching them some responsibility.
Old November 30, 2008, 01:20 AM   #8
IdahoG36

I posted my experience here once before, but here it is again.

It happened about 5 years ago, and I had just gotten my CCW here in Idaho. I was on my way to the grocery store. It was approx 6 pm. I was sitting at a stop light by myself, and several cars were behind me at the previous stop light.

My light turns green, and I signal and get over into the far left lane. The grocery store was approx. 1 mile down the road on the left.

As I get in the left lane, a Jeep Grand Cherokee comes flying up on my right side. I look over and this guy is losing his mind, yelling and shaking his fist at me. I know I didn't cut him off or anything, as I looked before I switched lanes.

I don't pay him any attention, and this seemed to make him even more angry. He pulls up a little ahead of me and starts trying to run me off the road. All I have on my side of the road is a sidewalk and houses, so nowhere to go.

I speed up to 65mph (speed limit is 35mph) and he keeps right up, and keeps trying to run me off the road. Finally, I reach the grocery store and pull into the parking lot quickly. As the Jeep was beside me, he missed the turn.

I pull in and park my car. I sat for a minute, and didn't see the Jeep, so I decided to get out and go into the store. I get about 10 yards from my car, and I see the Jeep heading my way. The guy parks and gets out approx. 25 yards from me.

He was walking directly towards me. I asked him what his problem was, and he just mumbled something. I couldn't understand him at all. He kept coming, and I told him repeatedly not to come any closer. He didn't say a word the whole time. Finally, he got within 15 feet of me, and after repeated warnings, I drew my Beretta 92FS.

I pointed my pistol at him, and he stopped dead in his tracks. He had a very surprised look on his face. I told him again not to come any closer, and to get back in his car. He mumbled something else. Again, I couldn't understand a thing he was saying. He turned around, got in his Jeep, and drove off.

I holstered my pistol and stood there for a minute. Then I went back to my car and sat down. I called the police on my cell, and they arrived shortly. I told them what had happened, gave a statement, and described the guy and his vehicle to them. Several people in the parking lot had witnessed the whole thing and gave statements as well.

After the police left, I noticed that my hands were a little shaky, and I felt jacked. Must have been the adrenaline flowing. I am glad that I didn't have to fire, and that just pointing my pistol at him was a deterrent. After the whole thing was over, I really didn't feel like shopping, so I just headed back home. I was really glad to be carrying that day.

Still to this day, I have no idea what provoked that guy. The only times he said anything, he just mumbled. I couldn't understand anything he was saying. Maybe drugs, who knows?
Old November 30, 2008, 09:12 PM   #9
hillbillyshooter

This week

I had a road rage similar situation to #8 this week. After a long day of whitetail hunting i was driving on the interstate (running a few errands). A state trooper was barrelling up on my rear and i signalled and uplled over. I pulled over into the middle lane right as a box truck was trying to merge into the same lane from the outside lane (without signaling). Didn't cut the guy off or anything, not even close considering traffic was moving slow in that lane. Traffic was terrible, being the day before Thanksgiving. I was on my cell phone when this box truck pulled up along side of me with the passanger yelling and screaming and leaning out the window shaking his fist at me. I couldn't understand him and rolled down my window to listen. Then he started to get out of the truck. At this point i took my gutting knife off of my waist and held it in my weak side hand (not carrying a firearm that day). Luckly for him and myself, traffic started moving in front of him and he had to stop his attemps to dismount. You might think this is funny but i still got an enjoyable fight or flight adrenaline rush. Still not sure why people get so bent out of shape on the roads.
Old December 10, 2008, 01:43 AM   #10
bobby45512

Hey IdahoG, Idaho is becoming notorious for methane amphetamine labs and could possibly soon rank up there with Utah. When I was going to school out in the Burg a friend of mine was going to broulims when a guy hopped up on meth came barreling into the parking lot full speed, my friend jumping to safety on top of another car as the guy zoomed by. Luckily the police station is just right next door and were soon on the scene. Wouldn't doubt if the guy in the jeep was on meth.
Old December 10, 2008, 06:23 PM   #11
FrontSight

Sad state this country has become!
Old December 10, 2008, 07:19 PM   #12
maestrorog

I have been carrying concealed for about eight years now, and in that time have had to draw my weapon twice in defense of my life and others that were with me; resolving the situations without having to fire a shot. The latest encounter took place about four years ago. At that time I was in my latter years of college and employed in a restaurant located next to a large bar district. Its not uncommon to run into inebriated individuals going to and fro. On that night, some friends and I were leaving work and were standing in the parking lot chatting some before we retired for the evening. From a distance a young guy, a kid really no more than 20 years old or so, walked up into our general area and he was nocticably intoxicated. I exchanged pleasantries with him, first to let him know that we were aware of him and to determine his course of action. He happened to have parked his vehicle near me and walked away from us and begin entering his truck which was about 30 feet away. Putting him into my periphery I began to focus back on my friends, and then all of a sudden the drunk kid muttered something unitelligble at the time, but now I believe to be in the vain of "I'll show you something!" It was enough for my friends and I to immediately go silent and focus our attention on the drunk kid again, who to our surprise was removing an AK-47 from behind the seat of his truck. Furthermore he began to load a magazine and rack the action. At first I couldn't believe what I was seeing, but that took only a split second to dissipate as I drew my weapon (Kimber 1911 .45 acp) and trained it on him. To see the look on his face as the predator became the prey was priceless. I didn't want to shoot the guy, and since he hadn't had time to raise the business end of the weapon up towards us, I had the drop on him and ordered him to lower his weapon to the ground and step back from it, as I began closing my distance to him. It took a few times to get him to realize that there wasn't going to be any other options at this point, and if he wanted to live he needed to follow my directions. I eventually disarmed him and he began muttering that he was just joking around and didn't mean anything by what just occured. I didn't take any chances with him, so took the rifle with me, and told him if he wanted it back he needed to go to the municipal police station the next day to pick it up. I'm not sure if he ever did. My friends were completely shocked by the experience, one of which took off screaming as if her hair were on fire. If it weren't such a serious situation I would have been laughing my butt off at the course of events.
Old December 10, 2008, 07:44 PM   #13
MaxHeadSpace

It's coming in over the tops of my boots. Anybody else having it come in over the tops of their boots?
Old December 11, 2008, 12:53 AM   #14
Apone

Great post, Troy!
Old December 11, 2008, 01:19 AM   #15
IdahoG36

Quote:
Hey IdahoG, Idaho is becoming notorious for methane amphetamine labs and could possibly soon rank up there with Utah.
Very true. That was what I have thought about the guy in the Jeep since it happened. Meth has been getting very bad around here.
Old December 11, 2008, 03:44 PM   #16
Brit

Not quite road rage

Most of you will have to open a history book to check this date!

1964! England, East Lanc's Road, runs between Manchester and Liverpool, I had been to a Military type of shoot, only BHP allowed, mine was a Commercial model.

At that time we carried in holsters, under clothing to and from the range, unloaded.

I was 29 YOA, two young guys hitching a ride at the back side of a traffic island (roundabout) it was teaming down! I pulled over they jumped in, the van was a works truck, TV delivery, several of them in the rear, covered by anti-bump covers.

Ford 3/4 ton, engine under cover in side the front, one kid was on the seat, the other half on the engine cover.

The one closest to the door said they were going to the "Pool" IE Liverpool, I said I could take them ten miles, "What would you say if say like, if a passenger pulled a knife like, told you to get out like" or words to that effect, it was a long time ago.

I pulled my coat open to let them look at the nice Walnut grip panel of my Browning, "I would just shoot him like!" "And make his Mate clean up the mess, like" Scousers all used "Like" as much as the kids do now!

Both were now on the one seat! And the next roundabout was fine!

Dropping them at the next Island was fine by them, they left a funny smell behind as well.
Old December 11, 2008, 09:41 PM   #17
bobby45512

lol brit, I had to read your story a 2 or 3 times just to understand the gist of it. That cockney sure is hard to understand.
Old December 12, 2008, 11:53 AM   #18
Delaware_Dan

Quote:
I have been carrying concealed for about eight years now, and in that time have had to draw my weapon twice in defense of my life and others that were with me; resolving the situations without having to fire a shot. The latest encounter took place about four years ago. At that time I was in my latter years of college
Carrying for 8 years?
4 years ago you were in your latter years of college?
So you were 18 or 19 when you got your CWP?
You are full of it kid.
Old December 12, 2008, 12:38 PM   #19
chris in va

DD, he may be concocting a story, but you're also assuming a lot. You think everyone finishing college is only 21-22? Want a list of people I know in their 30's?
Old December 12, 2008, 12:41 PM   #20
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Carrying for 8 years?
4 years ago you were in your latter years of college?
So you were 18 or 19 when you got your CWP?
You are full of it kid.

He could be a doctor (12+ years of college) or a lawyer or a Phd candidate or a dozen other things. There are plenty of people who go to school for more than 4 years.
Old December 12, 2008, 01:14 PM   #21
Delaware_Dan

Quote:
Want a list of people I know in their 30's?
If he is on that list I will eat my words.
Old December 12, 2008, 01:18 PM   #22
armsmaster270

My wife started her BA in her 40's
Old December 12, 2008, 02:56 PM   #23
ZeSpectre

Posted this one a bit ago on another site.
Real World Scenario...voices in the night.
Here's a real scenario (happened back in October)

Part I
Quote:
I'll do my best to spell it out and then you can have at it for tactics and strategy. Later I'll let you all know what I did and how it turned out.
(Virginia State Law would apply in case it matters to anyone)

A one acre yard with a light duty 4ft fence (with gate at the far end) dividing my yard from a public golf course. Just after dark but heavy cloud cover and pitch black.

The workshop is a stand-alone building about halfway between the house and the golf course. Lights mounted on the workshop can illuminate 90% of the yard and a few feet past my property line but that's a lot of juice so I don't just leave them on.

I'm out in my workshop (reloading of all things) when my dog bays once and runs into the shop. I immediately know it's "people related" as he will bark and bark at animals but tends to "bark-and-run" where people are concerned. I'm already armed (concealed) and grab my magcharger out of the cradle and step outside the shop door to listen and observe.

Roughly 30-50 yards past my back fence I can hear male and female voices having a "heated discussion" (aka stream of profanity) out on the golf course but it's too dark for me to see anyone so I stay put in the shadow of my shed and continue to listen for a few minutes.

Golf course management has been BEGGING me to call the police anytime I note someone on the course after hours because they've been having a lot of vandalism and since the voices are staying put (not just "passing through") I step back into the shop and call it in.

At this point I've decided that the best course of action is to lock up the shop and go back to the house (30ft AWAY from the situation) so I shut off the inside shop lights and am outside having JUST locked the shop door when I hear the sounds of a scuffle and the distinctive THUD of a body hitting the ground followed by some pretty serious cursing. A figure approximately my size walks up to my fence (it's dark, I can just -barely- see the shape about 40 feet away) and puts a hand out, it is VERY apparent that this person plans to jump my fence and "shortcut" across my lawn and out to the main street.

I'm pretty concerned because I'm sure some sort of violence just happened however I have no details and the only suspect in sight is still 40+ feet away (though he's about to vault my fence and walk straight towards me).
Part II
Quote:
The resolution
So here's the rest of what happened...

Sorry to keep you all waiting so long, I didn't feel well when I got home (think I'm fighting a cold) and I just went to bed.

It's been interesting to read the responses!

I quickly realized that I was in one of those awkward situations that we can so easily find ourselves in. I knew there was a strong possibility that someone was hurt out there in the dark BUT I also knew that I was out there alone with no quick backup and I simply did not know enough about the situation to go investigate. Also, I had just locked the shed and the back door to the house was locked so there was no quick way to re-access the phone or turn on the yard lights without both turning my attention away from the intruder and giving away my presence.

So I cleared my cover away from my sidearm (I was ready, but did not draw it) and then "spotlighted" the guy with my Magcharger (a powerful light, which is somewhat upgraded thanks to the wonderfully loony folks over at the Flashlight Forums) and in that strong "command" voice said...

"Mister, don't jump over that fence or my dog is gonna be REALLY upset".

He froze and just stared into the light for a few moments like he couldn't figure out what was going on, then he cussed at me and did an about face and headed off across the golf course. I did not pursue, but stayed put and I really thought he was going to get away but about then the cops arrived and detained him.

With me indicating where I'd heard the scuffle they also found a young woman laying dazed (and mostly stoned as it turned out) on the ground.

The whole thing had been an attempt to work out a drugs-for-hooking deal but both parties were stoned half out of their skulls and when they couldn't come to an agreement the guy slugged the girl. Both of them had drugs and paraphernalia on them so they all got some free bracelets and a place to stay for the next few days courtesy of local law enforcement.

The guy wasn't "officially" armed but did have needles and razor blades on him and, according to LE, had quite a history of getting violent over drugs so letting him close could have been a very bad idea.

when I expressed some concern about my property and person the cop chuckled a bit and said "he couldn't even tell us which park he's in right now so I doubt he'll even remember this in the morning".

Reviewing the whole situation in my mind I can only think of a few things I might have done differently.

1) Worry less about interrupting someone's innocent tryst and hit the yard lights sooner.

2) Have my cell phone in my pocket, or keep the cordless phone on my person when I investigate.

3) Go inside FIRST and alert my wife that I'm checking something out so she can "back me up" with the phone and observation.

Had he jumped the fence things would have become EXTREMELY complicated because I knew that somewhere in the dark behind him was another person (injured or not, I didn't know at the time) so rule #4 was right in the way.

However the mental plan was to draw and go into a "harries technique" hold with my light, advise him that I was armed, and order him to leave. If he did so I would have let him go, if he continued to advance then things might have gotten ugly fast.

As you can all imagine, I am OVERJOYED that he decided to turn around and walk away!