The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 1, 2002, 06:37 AM   #1
LF&Co. MG

Ithaca MAG 10 "Roadblocker"?

Anyone know much about these critters. I've never seen one but it is my understanding they are militarized versions of the Mag 10. I like to see a pick and may be interested in getting one for the job.
Old December 1, 2002, 08:31 AM   #2
HSMITH

I saw one once, it was marked US Property and was one BAD unit. Just a guess but it will be hard to find, and cost a lot when you do. The one I saw was fed from 15 round box magazines, good luck finding them.
Old December 1, 2002, 08:45 AM   #3
ACP230

Ithaca brought out the 10 gauge "Roadblocker" first. Remington bought the rights from Ithaca and improved the design.
I remember reading about them both when the deals were first done, but have never seen one.
One has been for sale on the Non NFA Board at www.subguns.com lately for just under $900.
Old December 1, 2002, 09:56 AM   #4
BMWGS80

I used to own an Ithica "RoadBLocker"; 10GA, tube fed semi auto.

I've never seen one with a box mag nor is one listed in my copy
off Fighting shotguns. There were a few 870s and full auto Remington 1100s made in the 70s with box mags. All of these were experimental and belonged to the government.

If you find a box fed Road Blocker it must be a custom job. Fifteen round magazine, must look like one for an AA gun. I'd want it tripod mounted. The gun itself is heavy enough.

Cheers,

ts
Old December 1, 2002, 10:21 AM   #5
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

The Itahca Mag 10 was an oversized, expensive and very heavy shotgun limited to three shots. The Roadblocker was a "Tactical" variant with IIRC a 22" bbl instead of a 26". A low gloss finish was standard.

Some of these were ammo sensitive, the piece had the rep of being a bit finicky. However, a bit of tweaking, including a longer forcing cone, gave an owner a reliable, soft shooting(For something pushing 2 oz of lead over the sound barrier) and durable auto that would reach a little further and hit a little harder than others.

IMO, a nice piece for those who want a 10.
Old December 3, 2002, 05:04 AM   #6
Kilrain

My Ithaca Mag 10 with Benelli M3 for reference......my 870 was at work.......
Old September 21, 2012, 09:26 PM   #7
nsauceman

Ithica Mag-10

I have one of the Ithica Mag-10. I really REALLY like it. I was wanting to find a 22" barrel for it to make it a RoadBlocker but am having trouble. I just can NOT get up the gumption to cut down the barrel. I don't know why but I just can not bring myself to cut it. It has the 32" barrel on it....I think I am going to sell it and just wait for a RoadBlocker instead and let someone else do it. Here it is in one of my safes.

Old September 22, 2012, 11:23 AM   #8
Virginian

After Remington bought the Mag 10 design they were 3 years debugging it before they released the SP10. I had one, and I was selling and working on guns back then and I fixed a bunch of Mag 10s. All of those were used for waterfowl with heavy loads. I would definitely not characterize the original design as reliable.