The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old April 23, 2019, 09:07 PM   #1
BigMikey76

PA-10 Upper is on the Way

Patience has paid off! I waited for just the right moment, and got the upper I wanted on an Easter sale. 18" stainless barrel, midlength gas system with a light weight m-lok freefloat rail for $399.99. Added to the lower I bought a little while back (also on sale), and I will have a complete PA-10 for $668 including tax and FFL fees. I'll post a range review once I have a chance to get out and play with it.
Old April 24, 2019, 12:21 AM   #2
BigMikey76

Reddotlight - everything I have heard about the stock muzzle device is crappy, so that will probably be my first upgrade. Which stock came with the $159 lower? Mine was $209 with the Magpul ACS-L stock and polished trigger.
Old April 24, 2019, 09:08 AM   #3
riffraff

My experience has been once you go to a big bore AR the smaller stuff tends to stay in the safe.

Before you go jumping to something fancy on the muzzle, shoot it for a while - I think recoil is over dramatized. Ya they kick but hold them right and its fine, 250 rounds in a day I may get a rash from the stock and my t-shirt pinching my skin a little, that's just a sign of a good day of shooting ..

Good luck with your new rifle. Interested to hear how it runs after a couple thousand rounds, especially with the stainless. Was recently fighting with one of my Aero M5's that ran impeccably reliably until something in that ballpark, then became apparently over gassed.. ended up with a heavier buffer & sprinco orange to slow it down and now it's good again - assume erosion of the gas port over time.
Old April 24, 2019, 09:07 PM   #4
BigMikey76

Riff Raff - I doubt I will see 5000 rounds any time soon. This particular rifle is intended for deer hunting this fall. I went for a semi auto so it could double as a fun range shooter (I just dont get much enjoyment out of bolt guns), but cost of ammo dictates that I'll be shooting my AR 15 a lot more than this one.
Old April 24, 2019, 10:13 PM   #5
riffraff

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMikey76 View Post
Riff Raff - I doubt I will see 5000 rounds any time soon. This particular rifle is intended for deer hunting this fall. I went for a semi auto so it could double as a fun range shooter (I just dont get much enjoyment out of bolt guns), but cost of ammo dictates that I'll be shooting my AR 15 a lot more than this one.
Yep thats the other thing that changes, 2x ammo budget ...

The key thing is to buy it when its cheap and in bulk, brass 7.62 mil sort of stuff now can be found for < .50/round shipped, which really isn't bad.
Old April 24, 2019, 10:23 PM   #6
BigMikey76

That's why I went for .308 instead of 6.5 CM - at least it's reasonably priced for what it is. 5.56 will still likely be my predominant fun caliber, though.
Old May 7, 2019, 08:35 AM   #7
Jsnake711

I went with . 308 for the availability of ammo components, now it's got an adjustable gas block. And a larue trigger it's one sweet rifle. And it shoots bug holes!
Old May 10, 2019, 12:16 PM   #8
smee78

Congrats on the recent addition. I too waited a good while for the upper/kit I wanted from PSA and it finally paid off when the kit was back in stock. I went with a 20" kit and a rifle gas system with Magpul furniture on it. I'm really happy with my setup and it shoots really good.
Old May 11, 2019, 08:28 AM   #9
bfoosh006

Congrats !!

You will love the larger caliber.
Consider an Adj. GB... heck of a difference in perceived recoil. Slowing down the cyclic speed of the BCG, will pay off in spades.

And a softer recoil pad will make shooting it far more enjoyable.
https://www.nokick.com/Limbsaver_Rec...p/ls-10025.htm
Old May 14, 2019, 12:08 AM   #10
Metal god

Mine is on the way as well . Just bought it over the weekend at $350+ free shipping . I've had a PSA stripped lower since they first started making them . Yep gen 1 lower with a gen 2 upper , oh well cosmetically they are not likely to be a perfect match . At that price I'll have to get over it lol . I've been looking at there uppers ever since I bought my lower and never really had the cash to blow on the upper . Still don't but this was the best price I had ever seen from them so I "pulled the trigger" sort a speak .

This is the one I bought and just got the shipping conformation today .
https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-...516446791.html

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .

Last edited by Metal god; May 14, 2019 at 12:15 AM.