The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old December 31, 2013, 04:57 PM   #26
Glenn E. Meyer

I don't necessarily think folks who don't buy guns are necessarily antigun. It is a difficult decision. Do I think you should - sure. But not going out and immediately buying a gun - I'm not going to denounce them.
Old December 31, 2013, 06:52 PM   #27
Strafer Gott

Stick to twenty-five bucks in quarters in a sock and chump-change them into submission is all I have.
Old December 31, 2013, 10:04 PM   #28
GM1967

Quote:
they reside in the UK.

That means they would have been punished more severely for having and using a firearm than the perp would have been if he had raped the wife
That's just.....astonishing. How can the government be so uncaring of its citizens? And how can any rational person remain living in such a system?

Edit: just found out that the quote was wrong in this case; the people in the article live in Washington, not the UK. However, my point still stands about the UK laws. Unbelievable.

Last edited by GM1967; December 31, 2013 at 10:11 PM.
Old January 1, 2014, 06:09 PM   #29
Deaf Smith

Quote:
That's just.....astonishing. How can the government be so uncaring of its citizens? And how can any rational person remain living in such a system?
They do care, they care for the rift-raff. See there is plenty of votes in that rift-raft and their families. So they don't want them hurt.

Deaf
Old January 2, 2014, 12:19 PM   #30
Glenn E. Meyer

Rants about politics aren't a T and T thing. Keep it on the tactical situation please.

Hint!
Old January 2, 2014, 07:52 PM   #31
Deaf Smith

I've been to a few UK self defense websites.

Tommy Carruthers in particular (he is a JKD partitioner who is very very good.)

Sadly they talk about metal pens to carry cause in the UK any 'offensive' weapon is banned. And 'offensive' weapon there is anything designed to be used as a weapon. Plus things like hammers and box cutters can only be carried while performing one's job.

And yes, a sock of quarters (or shillings) are considered to be a weapon if in your possession while outside the home.

BTW, they say in the UK head butts are used alot on the street.

Deaf
Old January 2, 2014, 09:04 PM   #32
Buzzcook

Just like to point out that by definition an improvised weapon is unplanned. It's something in the environment that a person would seize on at the moment.

While a sock full of loose change or various versions of sticks make effective weapons, if you plan on their use ahead of time they are not improvised.

I'd think, instead of talking about specific weapons, it'd be better to talk about general types of weapons and their use.

Hand held weapons break down into smash, hack, or poke, and jello.
Old January 2, 2014, 11:35 PM   #33
Tipsy Mcstagger

Dirty syringes. While it may not stop them immediately, what could be worse than the cruel ravages of bloodborne pathogens extended over time?

But seriously, I have thought of what in a household could be used when we might be at our most vulnerable.
Possibilities: toilet tank lid was my most inventive, shower curtain rod, lamp, fire poker, wine bottle, curtain rod, mop, broom, tumblers, skillet, plates and dishes, screwdriver, tp holder. While most of these surely wouldn't incapacitate a determined intruder it might buy you some time to get to your gun or get out. I've been knocked out by a dude who hit me with a stone in his hand. Hey, it worked.
Old January 3, 2014, 10:24 AM   #34
Glenn E. Meyer

We are now in stupid territory so I'm calling this one.

Closed