The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 9, 2013, 11:04 AM   #1
jaughtman

Shooting old shotguns.....

For nostalgia sake, once a year I break out my old 1910 Ithaca (Flues) SxS in the dove field. I feel that a few shots of modern #8's won't blow it up....especially since it sat dormant for 25+ years until I refinshed it - old but not a lot of shells put through it. Anyone else have an antique they occasionally still hunt with?

J
Old February 9, 2013, 11:08 AM   #2
BigD_in_FL

As long as the Ithaca has 2-3/4" chambers and not 2-1/2 or 2-9/16 and steel barrels, you should be OK. Several gents I shoot with have guns from 1905 to 1929 that they bring out now and again - they are very nice and still smoke the clays when the shooter does his part
Old February 9, 2013, 03:17 PM   #3
eastbank

i own and shoot several older double barreled shotguns,but my favorite is a remington model 1900 12ga 2-2/4 steel barrels 32 'long F&F. i have shot a 24/25 at the trap range with modest reloaded trap shells. eastbank.
Old February 9, 2013, 03:47 PM   #4
Hawg

I don't hunt with them but I've got several old doubles I play with. Some I load short black powder shells for and one is an 1850ish muzzle loader. The best one is an old L.C. Smith 00 grade.
Old February 9, 2013, 10:14 PM   #5
PetahW

FWIW, I'd NEVER put ANY modern loads through my Ithaca Flues, since the reason the Flues Models are so light is that the inside of the receiver/fame is cut out for the cocking mechanism, and not strong enough for any modern ammo made after 1925, when two things happened:

1) All the ammo companies changed/upgraded shotgun loads significantly, from previous loadings, with different/newer powders w/diferent pressure curves, etc.

2) Ithaca discontinued the Flues Model, due to point 1 above, in favor of the much stronger N.I.D. (New Ithaca Double).

That's not to say I don't shoot/hunt with my Flues - I do - but I use specialty (commercial) low-pressure shotshells from the likes of RST, PolyWad, Kent, GameBore & others - I prefer the RST loads, mostly because it's available locally.

Old February 11, 2013, 01:08 AM   #6
Slugo

try low compression shells from RST. Safe for most all old guns...

http://www.rstshells.com/