The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 28, 2005, 02:27 PM   #1
Jelly

Remington 870 Express Turkey For Defense Use?

For use with slugs and buckshot.

21" barrel and Wal-Mart has it for $266.

What's the purpose of the "vent rib"?

http://www.remington.com/firearms/sh.../870extrky.htm
Old March 28, 2005, 07:11 PM   #2
bergie

Couldn't possibly work, it is not all "tactical black". Only all black shotguns can serve in this role, with at least 10 extra pounds of crap hung on them, extended mags, side mounted extra ammo carriers (in case the 8 or whatever in the tube isn't enough), superduper bright flashlights or lasers, maybe both, oh yeah, not only a black plastic stock, it has to be a flimsy folding one with a pistol grip.
Actually, it would be ideal, maybe would want to change the choke tube. The vent rib does a couple of things, first it provides an even plane for sighting, even with or in some cases higher than the top of the reciever. Second, it is lighter than a solid rib, which quite a few older guns had. Finally, for high use guns, (shooting sports where they will fire 100's of rounds) it helps to break up heat waves coming off the barrel.

bergie
Old March 28, 2005, 08:41 PM   #3
norielX

Looks good....

Kinda like one of my HD guns. I've got a rifle sighted 21" with an extended mag. You don't need the mag extension, just enough ammo to get really good at shooting your shotgun. The reason I got the 21" is because you can use the Rem chokes.
Old March 29, 2005, 12:00 AM   #4
Anarx

yeah i am thinking of get a 20 inch rifled /w scope mount for HD and i will probably put a red dot or if i get a wild hair MAKE a infrared one...

i would deffently say a 21" /w a turkey choke would be good for HD i dont think they will be wanting to do much of anything besides piss themselfs with just a game load and a turkey choke..
Old March 29, 2005, 10:18 AM   #5
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Usually the package comes with an IC choke also. The Turkey 870s are darn near ideal for HD. Less than 44" long, reliable and effective.

Turkey ammo is not ideal. Try some different buck loads and see what your shotgun "Likes"....
Old April 4, 2005, 07:25 AM   #6
Para Bellum

"with slugs and buckshot"

Quote:
with slugs and buckshot
what of these two would you choose for defense. I am still thinking 00 Buckshot (8,7mm pellets) would be best. I frear that all the lighter stuff might offer too little penetration and one slug....mhm, I'd prefer nin 8,7mm bullets in one shot...
Old April 4, 2005, 11:06 AM   #7
Russ5924

Why would you ever want to put a scope or red dot on a shotgun for HD,the idea of a shotgun is point and shoot.Before you could ever get a sight lined up I could put three very big holes in you from another shotgun. The rib is just a sighting plane.
Old April 4, 2005, 01:00 PM   #8
arcticap

You can also use the vent rib to mount rifle sights for turkey hunting/slug shooting or for mounting a removable fiber optic glow dot sight behind the front bead for increased visibility.
Old April 5, 2005, 02:12 PM   #9
Anarx

^ you just hit the nail on the head.. the reason i was going for the cantaleaver rifled barrel for both HD/hunting.. i wont shoot slugs for HD as living in a apartment that would be bad... 00 buck would even be bad.. i will need a lighter load.. as well as with how small my place is the donut shape the pattern will take wont make much of a differnce..

the reasoning i mentioned the redot sight on it is more for giggles on the whole tactical thing..