The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 9, 2021, 07:11 AM   #1
NHSHOOTER

scope help

Well, the recoil from my muzzleloader seems to have taken out my old bushnell scope which has been on my knight for 20plus years. Took it out to the range and shots were all over the place, over a 8" space between shots out of a rifle that has less than 200 shots thru it. What would be a good not to expensive scope for said knight? I put my leupold 3-9x50 (that I stole off another rifle) on it for this season which is right around the corner. Still have to go sight it in. Any ideas?
Old October 9, 2021, 04:08 PM   #2
Hawg

Define not too expensive. Leopold makes some good scopes for right at 300.00.
Old October 9, 2021, 06:50 PM   #3
Pahoo

M/L - Shotgun Scopes

Quote:
I put my leupold 3-9x50 (that I stole off another rifle) on it for this season which is right around the corner. Still have to go sight it in. Any ideas?
I do know that "Some" scopes are rated and listed as such, for M/L and shotguns. Eye-relief is longer and can also take the beating. Bushnell was one brand and I'm sure there are others. The last scope, I had that was designated for M/L use, was a Bushnell. Look at Natchez and see what they list. I'm not all that concerned about the cost as I am about the service. I've seen a life-span of a few shots, on some scopes. .....

Be Safe !!!!
Old October 9, 2021, 07:42 PM   #4
4V50 Gary
Staff

Is it the scope or the mounts/rings? If it's the scope, replace it. If it's the mounts/rings, tighten down.

BTW, in this thread I learn of scopes for muzzle loaders.
Old October 13, 2021, 03:40 AM   #5
NHSHOOTER

4V50 Gary The rings and bases were checked so the scope got tossed and replaced with a leupold I took off 1 of my deer rifles, took it to the range yesterday and it shot great. Problem solved. I think I will keep that scope on the muzzleloader and just replace it for the deer rifle. No rush since I have several deer rifles. Just a side note, the scope that turned to junk was a bushnell, not bashing bushnell just saying, and I was thinking about a scope in the $300 range.
Old October 14, 2021, 08:52 AM   #6
4V50 Gary
Staff

Find a used Leupold 3x9. I got my last one for $75 and it was cheaper (both in terms of dollars and the dollar's purchasing power) than when I bought one in 1977 for $125.
Old October 14, 2021, 09:25 AM   #7
NoSecondBest

Any used Leupold is a bargain. They always honor their warranty and that will cover you forever. Leupold doesn’t require original receipts, you don’t have to be the original owner, and unless you drove over it with a street roller they don’t question you to death about why it’s not working. Also, great scopes to begin with.
Old October 14, 2021, 01:50 PM   #8
hub1home

Bushnell, maybe 1 from Walmart. No, I am not trying to be funny.
Old October 14, 2021, 05:52 PM   #9
Hawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by hub1home View Post
Bushnell, maybe 1 from Walmart. No, I am not trying to be funny.
Bushnell used to make good scopes. I have a Bushnell Banner that's about 50 years old that's still good but I don't think I'd want a new one on anything other than a .22.
Old October 15, 2021, 06:06 AM   #10
NHSHOOTER

hub1home, Your right it was a bushnell from walmart some 20 odd yrs ago..
Old October 15, 2021, 10:43 PM   #11
44 AMP
Staff

While I buy groceries sundries and videos at WalMart, I won't spend a penny with them on anything gun related.

I don't care for their corporate attitude about firearms and ammo, and despite a good price, (if it is a good price) I won't give them any gun /ammo business anymore.

I'm happy to let them put their "corporate virtue" in their pocket instead of my cash in this area.

Not that they care a fig, of course, but I feel better about it.
Old October 16, 2021, 09:23 AM   #12
Jack O'Conner

I mounted a Bushnell 1.5-4.5X scope on my CVA Optima with excelent results.

Jack
Old October 16, 2021, 11:08 AM   #13
Pahoo

Walmart corporation, not 2A friendly

Quote:
I don't care for their corporate attitude about firearms and ammo, and despite a good price,
Sadly, I could not agree with you more. Somewhat, in their defense they have given Hunter Ed. good support. If you look into the history and corporation you will find that they are not 2A friendly. ......

By the way, the last M/L scope I owned was a Nikon "Omega" 3-9. Excellent performance and no, it did not come from Walmart. .....

Be Safe !!!
Old October 17, 2021, 07:10 AM   #14
NHSHOOTER

Just a fyi, the scope I took off 1 of my deer rifles is a leupold 3-9x50 and the gun now shoots dead nuts, I will leave that scope on the muzzleloader and buy another for the deer rifle, and yes a leupold,
Old October 17, 2021, 07:33 AM   #15
BornFighting88

I second the whole thing of picking up a used Gold Ring. I picked up a used one at Cabela’s Bargain cave when it was still a thing at the store. (Was devastated when it went away, fyi).

Mine had the three “X”’s etched into the underside, so I sent it in to be checked out by the factory. No questions, WHATSOEVER, and they sent a replacement out with a list of what all they did and checked. Turns out nothing was in spec, and they lived up to their word.

Do yourself a favor, used Gold Ring in your desired power. I think they make M/L specific models, but a scope is a scope, so long as it does what I want it to do.
Old October 17, 2021, 07:41 AM   #16
stagpanther

Funny about Nikon--they used to be my "affordable gold standard" scopes, and within a year or so of Nikon ceasing to make scopes many of mine started falling apart and failing. while a bit more expensive, no Leupold I've ever purchased has failed.
Old October 17, 2021, 07:31 PM   #17
BornFighting88

I inherited a Burris pistol scope/scout scope about three years ago, and I have no complaints, as their customer service is similar to Leupold. It had been fired on a 357 Maximum chambered revolver, and the muzzle blast caused it to lose its zero hold. Also speckled the glass. I called them, said I needed service, and they didn't even ask what was wrong, they would find out when they got it in.

Sent it in thinking they were going to call me and give me an earful and reject the service claim. Not a week later, got a notification that they were mailing the replacement out as they couldn't source parts to fix the old one I had. I was overjoyed.

But nothing, and I mean nothing beats Leupold in my eyes.
Old October 18, 2021, 03:09 PM   #18
NHSHOOTER

I inherited a fairly new sightmark scope from my brother that passed, it was mounted on a bull barrel 243, took it out shooting and it would not adjust for elevation, sent it back to sightmark per return authorization they said it could not be fixed and they would send me a replacement, that was back in March of this year, emailed them several times and always get the same answer, next order that comes in you will get your scope replacement, lucky I had another scope I could put on that rifle because I have yet to see that sightmark scope, their customer service sucks, I would NEVER buy a scope or any other product from them. I understand being back ordered but just tell me, dont keep lying to me..Stick with leupold..I know I will!!!!!
Old October 18, 2021, 04:57 PM   #19
BornFighting88

I have given Sightmart a look or two when I was in the market for an affordable piece of glass to stick on that DeLisle Mauser abomination I was building. Thankfully I had a different one in the bin of parts. Sight mark just gave me the heebey jeebeys.
Old October 20, 2021, 05:29 PM   #20
Road_Clam

I shoot midrange with a lot of guys at my gun club and with the <$1200 optics you run the risk of issues. Generally speaking they get the job done but i've had issues with a $225 Bushnell AR223 and Ive had issues with a $1100 Burris F class optic. (BTW Burris customer service absolutely $UCKS from my past experience). A shooting buddy had an issue with a newer Leupold with windage tracking, got it warrantied and repaired in a timely manner. Where you don't see issues ever is the flagship Nightforce / Zeiss / March optics but your also talking $2500+ so you pay a price for tracking perfection and proven dead reliablity.

Last edited by Road_Clam; October 23, 2021 at 06:35 AM.
Old October 28, 2021, 09:13 PM   #21
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
Well, the recoil from my muzzleloader seems to have taken out my old bushnell scope which has been on my knight for 20plus years.
20 plus years of muzzleloader recoil isn't exactly terrible performance. Considering that there may be something about muzzleloader recoil that stresses the scope slightly differently than what it was made to deal with.

I don't know that there is, seems like it shouldn't matter, but sometimes, it does.

One thing I do know is that some airguns will kill scopes that can live on elephant guns, in fairly short order. And one sees scopes mounted on the slides of semi autos fail at a different rate than when mounted on things that don't move like that.

ITs all dependent on how the scope is made and what stresses it is built to take, and what direction the force is applied.

The best stuff will survive thrust from both directions equally. The best stuff is expensive. Some cheaper stuff will serve well enough, long enough, some won't.

Some time back I bought a cheap ($35) red dot sight and put it on a .45-70 Contender, mostly just to see how long it would last. SO far, its made it a couple hundred rounds and wacking a friend of mine in the nose with no apparent damage or change of settings.
Old November 3, 2021, 11:01 AM   #22
NHSHOOTER

I have a update on the sightmark scope I sent in back in March, I got a phone call yesterday from sightmark telling me again that the scope I sent back was beyond repair and out of production so they are going to send me a new scope free of charge and called to ask which 1 I preferred. I gave them the info and they apologized for it taking so long and I would be seeing my new scope very soon...We will see..I have my doubts
Old November 9, 2021, 04:40 AM   #23
NHSHOOTER

New update on the sightmark scope..ITS HERE, new (refurbuished) scope arrived via fedex yesterday, all mounted all we have to do is shoot it. The fact that its refurbished is no matter to me, its definately better than the 1 I had that didnt work (elevation) wouldnt change..came with new flip up scope caps and its got a lighted reticle..all in all I am satisfied..
Old November 9, 2021, 06:02 PM   #24
pricedo

Can't go wrong with a Leupold.
Even the bottom of the heap "Rifleman" series scopes are pretty good.
Old November 10, 2021, 05:41 PM   #25
NHSHOOTER

Totally agree with you pricedo, I have 2 leupold rifleman scopes plus several other higher end leupolds..