The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Closed Thread

Old September 6, 2020, 02:34 AM   #76
Hal

Quote:
You know I would actually like to hear the story of anyone who had to defend themselves with a .22lr Ruger Mark III or IV and how that panned out for them.
One thing I recall about The American Rifleman's Armed Citizen column was the huge number of people that used a .22 to fend off an attack.
It's been quite a while since I belonged to the NRA - so - I can't say that is still happening.

Quote:
Those of you claiming that no 22lr has ever given problems are damned lucky IMO.
Lucky - or - meticulous? I make sure I clean and inspect my guns every time I take them out and shoot them - no matter how many rounds I put through them.
Old September 6, 2020, 07:17 AM   #77
ghbucky

Quote:
Lucky - or - meticulous?
Clean the gun all you want. It is irrelevant to 22lr ammo not firing due to the primer not being distributed. IF the pin strikes a part of the rim with no primer.. no bang.

I had a box of 22 ammo that was failing 1 out of 3. I'm sure there is 22 ammo that is made with meticulous care that can be depended on to fire every single time.

But the common, off the shelf stuff isn't that. Shoot enough of it and you will have a fail to fire.
Old September 6, 2020, 11:05 AM   #78
Hal

Quote:
Clean the gun all you want.
I do - & I don't experience the issues of failure to fire that appear to plague others.

Besides - how do you know for sure that the primer is at fault?
The only way to know that for sure is to cut apart the case and examine the inside.
Turning the case so a different part of the rim is struck isn't proof positive.

It could just very well be that a layer of soot & filth has built up on the breech and is cushioning the firing pin strike.
Old September 6, 2020, 11:46 AM   #79
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
Besides - how do you know for sure that the primer is at fault?
The only way to know that for sure is to cut apart the case and examine the inside.
Turning the case so a different part of the rim is struck isn't proof positive.
It may not be proof positive, but turning the case so a different place on the rim is struck (doing nothing else) and having the round fire is proof enough for me.
Old September 6, 2020, 12:12 PM   #80
Mal H
Staff

Hal - when the rim has a deep indentation from the firing pin, it wasn't cushioned by anything. If rotating the round for another hit by the firing pin, and the round goes off, how would cushioning explain that?

I have had my share of misfires with .22 LR (most often Remingtons of several varieties), and cleaning of the firearm is not an issue with my firearms.
Old September 6, 2020, 12:42 PM   #81
Cheapshooter

The biggest fallacy in the OP's thinking, and thetre are many, is the head shot theory. You may be able to hit the head area of a stationary target, but hitting an area of the head that will cause instant incapacitation is not nearly as likely on a moving, attacking threat.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old September 6, 2020, 01:00 PM   #82
ghbucky

Quote:
The biggest fallacy in the OP's thinking, and thetre are many, is the head shot theory. You may be able to hit the head area of a stationary target, but hitting an area of the head that will cause instant incapacitation is not nearly as likely on a moving, attacking threat.
A while back there was a post of a knife attack on a police officer from her body cam. One thing that puzzled me for a while was why she was shooting him in the lower abdomen. It finally registered that she was looking at the threat (the knife) and so that's where she was shooting.

That was sort of an AHA moment for me. Under threat, we aren't going to be cooly determining where we want to place shots. We will be laser focused only on the perceived threat, and you can't shoot at what you aren't looking at.
Old September 6, 2020, 01:02 PM   #83
burrhead

Here’s a test for the OP. Buy a cheap toy football at a dollar store. With the pistol laying on a bench, have someone standing behind the shooter gently lob the ball down range. Not hard but just enough for the ball to travel 10/15 yards. When the OP sees the ball, he picks up the pistol and shoots it once. The “lobber”, by moving from side to side, can vary the flight of the ball from a going away shot to a crosser.

When the OP can consistently hit it 10 for 10 with no malfunctions, he’s good to go and should post a vid here. When I see the vid I’ll formally apologize for thinking this is the dumbest thread I’ve seen in a long time. Or maybe a troll.

I'm offended by people that are easily offended.
Old September 6, 2020, 01:09 PM   #84
burrhead

BTW, to answer the OP's question, the Ruger MK2 target is the best of the bunch.

Old September 6, 2020, 01:27 PM   #85
CDW4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Rohrer View Post
waste time trying to correct someone who can't be corrected.
Old September 6, 2020, 03:37 PM   #86
Reloadron

Are we close to the part where if there is a God moderation comes in and says question asked and answered and closes the thread?

Ron
Old September 6, 2020, 03:40 PM   #87
burrhead

I hope so

Old September 6, 2020, 04:52 PM   #88
JohnKSa
Staff

Agreed.
Old September 6, 2020, 07:25 PM   #89
Mal H
Staff

Closed Thread