The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old May 8, 2016, 06:11 PM   #1
rjinga

I Thought I Was Doing These Two Things (Correctly), But Actually I Wasn’t

What are those things that I thought I was doing, but I wasn’t, you ask? Front sight focus and compressed surprise break.

I thought that I was using a front sight focus until I started doing some dry-fire practice at home this weekend with my C308 rifle. While doing it, I realized that I was “kind of” focusing on the front sight, but I was also still trying to look at the target at the same time. I changed that to front sight in sharp focus while placed on, or in front of, the fuzzy target.

Then, while doing some searching on the forums about FSF, I found a really good post that included a description of, and video link to, Col. Jeff Cooper’s compressed surprise break. After watching the video, I guess I’d describe what I was doing as a compressed anticipated break. While I was trying to press, and not jerk, the trigger, in my mind I was still like “here it comes, here it comes, any moment now – click.” Now, I’m pleasantly surprised every time the trigger breaks.

Sig Sauer P229 SAS GEN 2 E2 9mm; PTR 91, GI model; Chinese Type 56 SKS; Smith & Wesson Shield 9mm
Old May 8, 2016, 09:25 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

When asked about the secrets of good shooting, I always reply, "Concentrate on the sights and squeeze the trigger." Simple but it works.

Jim
Old May 10, 2016, 09:00 PM   #3
9x45

It's not squeeze and breath, that's for Bullseye shooting, it's grip it and rip it.
Old May 10, 2016, 10:14 PM   #4
dyl

Pistol shooting.

There is a lot of fun self-discovery in store for you. Especially since you've shown that you have the patience and awareness to actually try shoot better - and whaddya know it's working!
Old May 10, 2016, 10:38 PM   #5
Pep in CA

I tried using snap caps mixed in with live rounds my last time at the range. I think it helps develop the sense of the surprise break.