The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old October 21, 2014, 05:08 PM   #1
johnelmore

Shot to head Kevlar save

I always wondered what it would look like if someone got shot in the Kevlar or whatever helmet they use nowadays. My understanding its a tougher material than the original Kevlar helmet. I thought the person would at least get a concussion if the round did not go right through. I also thought the rifle round would go through. I guess this one was shot at range still there is some value in the helmet for the professional user.

http://www.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/vi...d.html?c=world
Old October 21, 2014, 05:57 PM   #2
Jo6pak

Quote:
still there is some value in the helmet for the professional user.
Yeah, they figured that out again in 1915.
Old October 21, 2014, 09:07 PM   #3
Double Naught Spy

I saw this when it first came out and JohnKSa and I discussed it. He mentioned a good point. It looked like the guy got hit because he was wearing the helmet, a high shot high on the helmet.
Old October 22, 2014, 01:40 AM   #4
colbad

A straight on rifle shot will punch right through. However, if not perfectly straight on the Kevlar might catch and deflects. I have seen front hits zip around the helmet in the layers and exit to rear or be actually caught in the side layers.
Old October 22, 2014, 03:10 AM   #5
johnelmore

Just a technical note. I read the latest Enhanced Combat Helmet is resistant to AK rounds and its made of a Dyneema type material. I am not certain if the helmet in the video is that helmet. I am no expert on helmets. Just what I read.
Old October 22, 2014, 05:05 AM   #6
Once Fired

Is it me, or is the hit on this soldier actually a miss of his squaddie in front of him?

The soldier who took the hit was actually mostly obscured by the doorway from a side angle and by the soldier in front of him.

Hard to say since we don't know where the shot came from, but that's what jumped into my mind when I saw it.

OF
Old October 22, 2014, 12:02 PM   #7
Frank Ettin
Staff

Our focus here is training and tactics for responsible private citizens. We're drifting to far afield here.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Closed Thread