The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old February 4, 2018, 01:39 AM   #26
Model12Win

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERRYS. View Post
if you find a cop that carries a revolver as his primary on-duty, he more than likely rides a desk far more than he does a cruiser.
Either that or he knows how to shoot and doesn't need a bucket of bullets to get the job done.

"Real cops carry revolvers."
Old February 4, 2018, 11:23 AM   #27
K_Mac

Quote:
Either that or he knows how to shoot and doesn't need a bucket of bullets to get the job done.

"Real cops carry revolvers."
I'm guessing you are just stirring the pot for fun. I know many "real cops," and none of them would carry a revolver as a service weapon."
Old February 4, 2018, 11:03 PM   #28
rodfac

Dept. of Corrections used S&W M-66's here in Louisville until a cpl years ago...Glocks now IIRC. Two of my LEO pals carry "J" frame Smiths to this day, both off-duty and as BUG's while in the harness.

Best Regards, Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old February 5, 2018, 09:03 AM   #29
samsmix

Security guard here, not a LEO, but spent a lot of time crewing an armored truck so it was "on the street". I figured any deadly encounter I had would be very close, and very quickly decided. I carried a .357 Mag (Buffalo Bore 125gr @ 1700) without worry. I had no illusions about whether there would be time to empty a high cap mag...or even a cylinder. I figured if I didn't shut an attacker down fast, I wouldn't be around to worry about an empty gun. It never came to pass, but it came awful close two times. I could reload in about 3 seconds when I was still in practice.

When I started out, the company would let you make payments on a Model 66 or the then-new XD 9mm, but if you were plumb broke there was an M-66 "Schmidt & Western" that they would loan you till you caught a few paychecks.

Now I am issued a Glock by another company, and I find it suitable.

IF we're not supposed to eat animals,
howcome God made 'em outta meat?
Old February 6, 2018, 01:58 AM   #30
In The Ten Ring

I was a rental cop also, from 1999 till 2000. Of the several employees, about half carried .357 Mags with 2/3 being S&W and 1/3 being Ruger. Before I left though, only one was still carrying his snub-nosed Model 19 which he always scored "expert" with during the yearly qualification (trigger was sweet).

In 2000 I did a couple of ride-alongs with a local police officer (small town) that carried a revolver. He was an older guy with the "old school" mentality you couldn't help but instantly love.

He was the last police officer I ever saw pack a revolver but I'm not hanging out with them like I was back in 2000. You never see any in holsters on "Cops" anymore.

Last edited by In The Ten Ring; February 6, 2018 at 02:11 AM.
Old February 7, 2018, 02:43 PM   #31
SIGSHR

The security guard in the video of the holdup in the General Discussion Forums is carrying a DA revolver. And know how to use it.
Old February 9, 2018, 12:12 AM   #32
Sgt127

Buddy of mine is Dallas PD. Still carries the S&W 66 he got as a rookie 36 or so years ago. He just trusts revolvers more than autos. He’s not a gun guy. It’s never not worked, he qualifies with it without a problem.

And, he gets more “Day-um! That’s cool! Man, you’re old school Po-lice!” Than you could imagine. That would be worth it alone.

He’s one of the finest auto theft cops I’ve ever seen. Chop shops, warrants, interviews. He can finish out without a plastic gun. I’m sure he’ll be fine.
Old February 9, 2018, 12:49 AM   #33
Model12Win

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Mac View Post
I'm guessing you are just stirring the pot for fun. I know many "real cops," and none of them would carry a revolver as a service weapon."
Yes. I am known to "wiggle the branches" here sometimes. I play the devil's advocate occasionally just to get a rise out of people but more importantly to stimulate discussions and reinforce points. Some call it "trolling", I call it "dialogue".
Old February 10, 2018, 09:05 PM   #34
Dragon breath

I know that my local P.D. has at least one female officer that carries a Smith & Wesson revolver. She apparently has had limp wrist problems in the past and just prefers to stay with a revolver.
Old March 12, 2018, 12:32 AM   #35
Ibmikey

I was responsible for upgrading firearms for our department, when issued a weapon and ammunition the officer did not have the choice to carry something else. Personal backup weapons were authorizd but descriptions were added to the officers file should there become a need to know. Our issue weapon was improved as I could get the City Council approve the funds, Mod 15 to 66 to 686 and finally Glock 17 & 19 later G22 & 23 were in order. I have been retired for some time and have lost knowledge of current issue.
Old March 12, 2018, 05:37 AM   #36
Johny Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonrichter View Post
Are there any PDs in the Staates or other agencies worldwide that still issue revolvers?
Not sure in the States, but in New York city 'seniority' can carry one but in time that will fade out.

Old March 16, 2018, 02:12 AM   #37
Ibmikey

Don’t often berate the police having served over thirty years myself, but, that officer needs to take a little pride in his leather appearance and possibly clean and oil his S&W revolver. Taking the choice of firearm away from the individual by issuing a particular weapon solves many problems particularly when trying to determine which weapon fired a particular bullet. The photo here may have been taken before a total changeover to semi auto pistols.
Old March 16, 2018, 02:39 AM   #38
shafter

That holster looks like it has zero retention, something I'd be extremely uncomfortable with on the job. Most likely his seatbelt is what's destroying his holster.

I may have heard wrong, but didn't NYPD recently say that they are phasing out revolvers regardless of seniority?
Old March 16, 2018, 01:56 PM   #39
UncleEd

That is the traditional revolver holster for the NYPD.

The gun is retained by a plug that fits into the trigger guard.

To release the gun the officer jams his hand down into the holster
and pulls it up, and yes his finger may well be on the trigger
but ADs were few and far between because of the stiff weight of
the trigger.

When NYPD started switching to Glocks the officers stuck their
finger into the trigger guard just like for the revolver and......ooops.
Or so the stories went.

As for the appearance of the leather, that sergeant has probably
seen more, done more, risked more than a lot of Sparkle Plenties.
Old March 20, 2018, 11:15 AM   #40
ftttu

As of 2 years and 3 months ago, there were still less than a handful of officers at the agency I retired from still carrying revolvers.

Our agency is a Glock .40 agency, but those officers were grandfathered in after that policy change. They would have had to transition to a Glock .40 if they wanted to carry any other duty weapon.

Also, our weapons weren't issued, but purchased individually.
Old March 20, 2018, 11:22 AM   #41
JERRYS.

now I'm not saying that if I wasn't a patrol officer and I wore a suit everyday that I wouldn't holster up a 6" 44 in a shoulder rig.
Old March 20, 2018, 11:46 AM   #42
UncleEd

Jerrys,

Once was at least one Chicago detective that
did that, a Model 29 6 incher.