The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old June 27, 2017, 09:17 PM   #26
the Black Spot

I do
Old June 28, 2017, 04:08 PM   #27
reddog81

Quote:
Originally Posted by grine_22 View Post
OK I read alot about cast iron pots for melting down into ingots, would a cast aluminum canning pot be OK for the same? Melting point of aluminum is around 1200 and lead is lower.......
Aluminum will work for a little while. However once that pot weakens and lets go it will be a large molten mess. I wouldn't chance it.
Old July 9, 2017, 09:48 PM   #28
458winshooter

Casting

Be careful it can get addicting.I have 3 44 spl/mag molds ,3 for 45 acp/Colt,3 for 45-70 and 458 win mag,3 for 38/357,1 for 9mm/380 and a couple for black powder.If you do get into casting it will lead you to always search for the perfect load for whatever gun you are loading for.So be careful what you ask for.
Old July 10, 2017, 01:23 AM   #29
AzShooter

I've been casting bullets for years. I find it very relaxing and a rewarding hobby. My cast bullets are more consistent than factory. I cull out any bullet that weighs more or less that my goal weight by .5 grain.

I also like getting the proper mold for my guns. I've used Lee, Lyman and RCBS but found LBT molds to be the best out of my revolvers. They are a little more expensive but give the best accuracy, in the line of 1 inch at 25 yards out of my S&W 627s.

I use a Star Sizer and LBT lite blue lube. Lube makes a big difference. Although to get started Lee Liquid Alox works fine.
Old July 10, 2017, 02:10 PM   #30
Hanshi

I use to cast handgun bullets by the thousands but rarely cat for them anymore. I still do cast round ball for my muzzleloaders, however, by the thousand.
Old July 11, 2017, 11:45 AM   #31
LAH

I cast a few now & then. It's all part of the sport unless you turn out like Beagle & then it's a lifestyle.
Old July 11, 2017, 12:42 PM   #32
Mike / Tx

Quote:
unless you turn out like Beagle & then it's a lifestyle.
Ain't that tha truth......

I can't say I have a whole lot of room to talk though, I have plenty of boxes and pans of them sitting around waiting to be sized and loaded. I might even PC some of them, but they won't sit around looking pretty for long.
Old July 11, 2017, 06:42 PM   #33
gwpercle

If you have a free lead supply....that's the biggest pro you can get .
A Lee electric pot , Lyman dipper , Cast Bullet Handbook and a 2 cavity Lee mould and you in business.

The only con is it can become an interesting lifelong hobby, you buy new and better moulds , sizer-lubricators and all sorts of neat and nifty tools for loading cast bullets.

I started in 1967 , my best friends Daddy had three tire shops and gave me all the free wheel weights I could carry. My friend and his Daddy are both retired from the tire business now so I have to scrounge for them.....but I'm still casting, loading and shooting.
Cast some wad-cutters for my 41 magnum Sunday....just try buying those .

Casting makes you the master of your bullet supply and I've always enjoyed that .

Gary