The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 2, 2019, 09:01 AM   #1
TXAZ

Advantage of all Brass Shotgun shells?

I’ve noticed that all brass shotgun shells are available particularly for 10 Ga.
But they are fairly expensive.

The reason you would wand an all brass shotgun shell is...

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old September 2, 2019, 10:52 AM   #2
eastbank

for those of us who have and like to shoot old classic black powder shotguns with steel twist barrels, I don,t have a 10 ga, but do have a 12ga(I use magtech brass cases). and they are easy to reload and last a long time with a little care.
Old September 2, 2019, 11:27 AM   #3
BobCat45

I was not there and could be wrong, but I've read that in WWI they found cardboard shotgun shells vulnerable to water damage in the trenches so they went to all brass.
Old September 2, 2019, 11:47 AM   #4
reynolds357

Low brass vs high brass taken to the extreme.
Old September 3, 2019, 06:46 PM   #5
Pahoo

Nostalgia and look Pretty

Quote:
The reason you would wand an all brass shotgun shell is...
Nostalgia & Looks......

At a PF dinner, I won a box of PF .12-GA., all brass shells. I still have them but will probably never shoot them. They look pretty neat......

Be Safe !!!
Old September 3, 2019, 06:54 PM   #6
jmr40

Before plastic shells they were much more reliable than cardboard. They were designed for use by the military to use in wet climates. I'd imagine the only reason for them today is for military reenactor's and collectors.

Winston Churchill
Old September 3, 2019, 06:56 PM   #7
Rangerrich99

They look really cool. Oh, and if you're tying your own pike/musky/tarpon flies they make a great hair stacker.
Old September 3, 2019, 07:22 PM   #8
FITASC

As mentioned - good for BP loads but in reality, plastic hulls are easy to load and readily available everywhere.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old September 3, 2019, 07:58 PM   #9
fourbore

Black powder will burn through plastic hulls. The bigger gauges will not survive one heavy load. The smaller gauges are good for one time.

It is nothing to do with cool. What was it Mark Twain said about not speaking vs leaving no doubt. Google it.
Old September 3, 2019, 09:03 PM   #10
Hawg

Quote:
Black powder will burn through plastic hulls
I haven't reloaded any enough times to burn through. After I reload once fired hulls with bp they've melted enough inside I don't want to reload them again.
Old September 4, 2019, 04:25 AM   #11
eastbank

I like to hunt small game with my 12 ga hammer shotgun, it patterns quite well with my loads with 1-1/8 oz-#6 shot. rabbits at 30-35 yards are dead if I do my part, there is just something about dropping two large brass shells into the chambers and closeing the shotgun with a solid sound. when fired the smoke and smell adds to the enjoyment of the hunt and better yet when you take a rabbit just like your great grandfather did over a hundred years ago.
Old September 4, 2019, 05:31 AM   #12
darkgael

i treated myself to a box full of 12 gauge RMC lathe turned hulls....kinda accumulated them over time as they are pricey at $6 each. They are true to gauge and do not require 11 gauge wads as do the drawn brass Magtech hulls or those from BELL.They use normal loading components and regular 209 primers, smokeless powder.
The only problem that I had with them was one time when I was shooting ATA Trap with them. I was using exactly the same load that I use with my plastic hulled Trap loads. Evidently, the FL brass concentrates something because they were louder than the plastic hulled loads. I was approached by the range officer and told to stop shooting them as they were obviously not Trap loads. Go figure.
I hunt with them when I use a SXS.
Old September 4, 2019, 09:03 AM   #13
FITASC

Quote:
Black powder will burn through plastic hulls. The bigger gauges will not survive one heavy load. The smaller gauges are good for one time.

It is nothing to do with cool. What was it Mark Twain said about not speaking vs leaving no doubt. Google it.
Although the OP never mentioned using these for BP........
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old September 4, 2019, 11:48 AM   #14
ammo.crafter

Brass case

I reload .410 shells using .444 Marlin brass (after firing forming with COW).

They work very well and look cool...
Old September 4, 2019, 01:10 PM   #15
T. O'Heir

"...water damage in the trenches..." Wasn't the trenches. Paper shells would swell in high humidity too.
"...fairly expensive...." Depends on the gauge, how they're made and the length. Buffalo sells 10 gauge at $11 each. A box of 25 Magtech, 2.5", 12 gauge is $23.29.
"...two large brass shells into the chambers..." Like loading the double rifle I desperately need. snicker.
"...steel twist barrels..." Vintage Damascus barrels are not safe to shoot with any ammo.
Old September 4, 2019, 01:48 PM   #16
eastbank

my gunsmith will disagree with you and he checked my shotgun. my shotgun is in ex condition inside and out and was not used much in its eary life. please read up on the classic shotgun shoots here and abroad.
Old September 4, 2019, 03:56 PM   #17
DockRock

All of the above. And, if one wants to load BP shotgun shells, brass shells are better than plastic shells. Those who load BP in plastic will undoubtedly feel the need to say something contrarian, but the saying of such will not change the facts.
Old September 4, 2019, 07:30 PM   #18
FITASC

[QUOTE][Vintage Damascus barrels are not safe to shoot with any ammo. /QUOTE]

Not true. They MIGHT be, they might not be - an experienced gunsmith can do some tests can tell. Where I shoot, many og the guys in their 70s and 80s have older guns, especially some nice English ones, with Damascus barrels and they shoot them all regularly. Granted, they're not shooting Fiocchi uber pheasant loads, but they have fun shooting doves, pheasants and clays with them.
Old September 6, 2019, 06:18 AM   #19
JT-AR-MG42

One advantage of brass hulls in a shotgun that has not been mentioned so
far is that the mouths do not deform (with the resultant failures to feed - potentially serious!)
from the pressure of a magazine tube spring over time.

I reload smokeless in mine with OO and OOO.
Extra time involved, but the brass hulls make a nice 'ching' sound
when cycled though a pump that makes it worthwhile to me.

JT
Old September 22, 2019, 12:33 AM   #20
Gelrir

A few years ago, I was bequeathed a woven shell belt, probably from the 1920s or 1930s, with 32 rounds of all-brass 00 buck shells.

--
Michael B.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12 ga brass shell belt lay out.JPG (102.1 KB, 2753 views)
File Type: jpg 12 ga brass shell end.JPG (202.0 KB, 2752 views)

Last edited by Gelrir; September 23, 2019 at 05:07 PM. Reason: getting images to display