The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 30, 2009, 12:46 AM   #26
51_60_colt

Sherman sent men to rape and pillage non military targets, that doesnt sound like a hero to me, he didnt draw his weapon just sent others to do it for him....Just for your knowledge...General Lee didnt actually surrender to Grant...NO....he was just showin off his sword thats all..... And ole Sherman wasnt much of a fighter compared to JEB Stuart, who I am lucky enough to be related to (by marrage) I like JEB Stuart and Clint Eastwood as Josey Wales and the preacher in Pale Rider, Stonewall Jackson, Robert E. Lee, lots of good ones...

Last edited by 51_60_colt; April 30, 2009 at 10:34 AM.
Old April 30, 2009, 12:59 AM   #27
Gbro

My choice

Quote:
look up to as the greats, and why? If not the community, who do you look up to personally? I don't care if they're modern or historic

Simon Kenton, Frontiersman, Sinner, Believer in our Savior Jesus
Old April 30, 2009, 06:09 AM   #28
Indian Outlaw

I like this guy too.

Old April 30, 2009, 08:30 AM   #29
madcratebuilder

That is my all time favorite LP. I have several of Marty's 'gunfighter' ballads theme LP's. He wasn't a half bad nascar driver either.
Old April 30, 2009, 08:42 AM   #30
Nate1778

Sharon Stone

I don't know something about the chaps...........
Old April 30, 2009, 09:26 AM   #31
4V50 Gary
Staff

If we're talking about movie characters, Tuco (Eli Wallace) in The Good, the bad and the Ugly. You can learn about personal hygiene, dining etiquette, prisoner interrogation techniques (look ma, no waterboarding!), gunsmithing, gunfighting ("When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk"), backstabbing from this very colorful character. You also learn not to cheer your side too loudly either as you may wind up incarcerated for your effort.

Real life - Ranger Jack Hayes. Fought off a lot of commanches for hours all by his lonesome.

Quote:
Just for your knowledge...General Lee didnt actually surrender to Grant...NO....he was just showin off his sword thats all
For the record, Lee never offered his sword to Grant. Nor did Grant asked for it. It was a small affront Grant was willing to let go because he sought the greater cause: peace. Kudos to both Lee & Grant.
Old April 30, 2009, 11:08 AM   #32
longranger

Christian Sharps, 60,000,000 buffalo can't be wrong and untold number of Indians during the Indian Wars.
Indian Outlaw, I have that record to, it was my fathers and it is pristine, very cool.
Old April 30, 2009, 11:14 AM   #33
Nate1778

"The Duke"
Old April 30, 2009, 11:16 AM   #34
a7mmnut

The One And Only "Ultimate Sniper"...........

...Carlos Hatchcock, the one and only. A tru Modern Day gunslinger of more than three different tools.

http://www.nightscribe.com/Military/..._hatchcock.htm

-7-
Old April 30, 2009, 01:59 PM   #35
tdmoparguy

trigger happy

Quote:
"General Sherman."
You can kiss my Rebel *noise*

Last edited by 4V50 Gary; April 30, 2009 at 02:21 PM. Reason: violated rules of decorum
Old April 30, 2009, 02:45 PM   #36
JarYetz

This isn't a North v South thread, guys...I just wanna know who inspired you to get into BP, and why! Lotsa good stuff, so far.

I actually have to attribute my initial curiosity to gaming, and then being drawn to old-time stuff I began to look deeper into it. After watching some Eastwood flicks, I knew I wanted to give it a try. I've been putting it off for about 3 years now, and I finally made the plunge this week. I figure if my intrest held that long, I'd go for it.
Old April 30, 2009, 05:34 PM   #37
CaptainCrossman

one of the best movie openers of all time- Bronson as "Harmonica" in "Once Upon A Time In The West"

that famous line:

"you brought two too many"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHZpO6aNLwE
Old April 30, 2009, 06:58 PM   #38
51_60_colt

Quote:
This isn't a North v South thread, guys...
i know but people cant just say stuff like "Sherman taught those rebels a lesson they deserved" and think thats not gonna cause some sort of chatter, I didnt like it...just my two cents.....that aside I also think that the fact that many of our ancestors used them makes it a cool expirience and thats part of what got me sooting BP Revs.

Last edited by 51_60_colt; April 30, 2009 at 09:53 PM.
Old April 30, 2009, 09:33 PM   #39
scrat

Stonewall jackson

there said it

Old May 1, 2009, 01:29 AM   #40
Smokin_Gun

Good one Scrat...did they Name Ft. Jackson, S.C. after him. I don't remember the History of the Fort but do remember Boot Camp & Advanced Infantry Training there in 1972.
Admin:http://blackpowdersmoke.com/oldcoots/index.php
Old May 1, 2009, 10:21 AM   #41
51_60_colt

Quote:
For the record, Lee never offered his sword to Grant. Nor did Grant asked for it. It was a small affront Grant was willing to let go because he sought the greater cause: peace. Kudos to both Lee & Grant.
Just kiddin around about that anyway,
Old May 1, 2009, 06:51 PM   #42
long rider

Dick turpin.:d
Old May 2, 2009, 08:30 AM   #43
Indian Outlaw

George Maddox, member of Quantrill's Guerrillas, a Confederate band of "ruthless killers."

Clearly, a Remington man.

Old May 2, 2009, 09:37 AM   #44
CraigC

John Wayne will always be my favorite, followed by Clint Eastwood and Tom Selleck. Selleck's westerns are highly underrated if you ask me.

Historical figures, Wild Bill always impressed me as the real thing. He practiced regularly and was very good at what he did. As for the comparison to Annie Oakley, Hickock was a killer, Annie was a shooter. Big difference. Takes more than shooting skill to look a man in the eye and kill him dead.

As for Sherman, a man who waged war on women, children and farms in an effort to "punish the South" (his own words), I got no use for him and would spit in his eye if he were alive today. He was a coward and a war criminal.
Old May 4, 2009, 09:17 PM   #45
AdmiralB

Quote:
Sherman sent men to rape and pillage non military targets
I'm honestly curious...I've never read anything that suggested that Sherman condoned, let alone actively encouraged, rape. Can you enlighten me?

If you mean to imply (with colorful hyperbole) that he had his army take foodstuffs from the countryside, including civilians...yeah, that's correct. It's also how wars were fought up to that time. The ACW was, AFAIK, the first war where any army actually tried to take its log train along with it.

Further, regarding non-military targets...is it your opinion that the USAF and RAF committed similar acts during the strategic bombing campaigns in WW2? They certainly intentionally bombed non-military targets, Hiroshima and Nagasaki being perfect examples.
Old May 4, 2009, 09:42 PM   #46
rbb50

I have seen a lot of westerns and have always realized they are all fictional in that the guns they use are not real and the people shooting them know all they have to do is aim it in that direction with the cameras are rolling and the pyrotechnic crews will take care of the rest.

Once I shot a fly off a target at 50 yards with a 357 and we had to dig up a bullet to find fly guts in the hollow point.... So am I a gun slinger?

Nope just a good shot with a real gun is all
Old May 4, 2009, 09:53 PM   #47
Doc Hoy

My Neighbor

His unit shot the pirates.
Old May 4, 2009, 10:05 PM   #48
scrat

can we friggen go to page 3 al ready.

man

that sharon stone is a looker

loose my friggen train of thought by the time i get to the bottom
Old May 5, 2009, 01:47 PM   #49
51_60_colt

Quote:
I'm honestly curious...I've never read anything that suggested that Sherman condoned, let alone actively encouraged, rape. Can you enlighten me?

If you mean to imply (with colorful hyperbole) that he had his army take foodstuffs from the countryside, including civilians...yeah, that's correct. It's also how wars were fought up to that time. The ACW was, AFAIK, the first war where any army actually tried to take its log train along with it.
Welp...I have no idea what he condoned if I get time I'll research it ( rape meant as a hyperbole), but he had a hand in burning Atlanta,burning out people who were just living there lives, the US government sent troops to burn out people who werent even fighting. and as far as teaching rebels a lesson they deverved, did they deserve it? I dont think so, my ancestors fought because they didnt appreciate the goverment sending troops into the south to march on its own people...they were fighting for their homes. I dont care what anybody says, they didnt deserve a lesson like that. Now....I apologize for making this post about North v. South...this is a BP forum, not a debate club.... my fault, sorry ya'll.
Old May 5, 2009, 07:46 PM   #50
Chris_B

Christ...can I settle this already?

Who ever thought of Sherman as a pistolero, anyway? Ugly sumbitch to boot

That war is over. So Sherman was a so-and-so. So gahdamn what. He's not around now, and his brothers are dead too. Hell some of my kinfolk are still mad about Culloden. Let's move the F on, shall we?