The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 14, 2017, 11:04 PM   #1
cloud8a

Sighting CVA 1980's Frontier

Been a long time gone from here. Raising 4 kids and making a new career put my black powder interests on the back burner. Living in D/FW I never had friends or family with land and money went to the family and not toward a deer lease. Also never had time to get my hunters safety education course finished.

Now with Texas being one of two states making Hunters Ed. available completely online and I have found a settling in life I have pulled my old CVA Frontier out. With the help and advisement from well experienced and wise members of this forum, and an AD I've seen for my rifle dating it to 79-80, it seems to be a unique model.

The last time I fired it at the range I shot it at a target at 50 yards. It struck bulls-eye when I sighted the top left corner. The rifle has a brass blade front sight and a rear sight with a screw. I do not know anything about the rear sight or what it is called.

How do I sight this in?

I will provide a pic of the AD and pics of my gun if you guys would like.
Old February 15, 2017, 09:14 AM   #2
Oliver Sudden

First notice if both of the sights look well centered, if so the screw is to adjust elevation, move the rear sight the way you want the point of impact to move. Move the rear sight to the right by tapping the the dove tail with a light hammer and a brass drift. The front sight moves the opposite way the group needs to go. In this case to the left.
Old February 15, 2017, 09:55 AM   #3
g.willikers

^^^
That about covers it.
Assuming of course the shooter isn't the cause.
You mention that you've not shot this rifle in a long time.
Always the first place to look is to yourself and the easiest to cure.
Just a thought.
Old February 15, 2017, 01:56 PM   #4
cloud8a

g.willikers

I thought about that but I remember when I first fired I was aiming dead center and then walked the aim up to the top left corner of the target. The hits followed from bottom right diagonally until the hits were striking close to dead center. So there was consistency.

My concern is there could be something wrong with the barrel. Its well cleaned and lubed. I have shined a light down and there is light pitting from the previous owners lack of care. I have seen waaaay worse pitting on same type of gun and they still fired straighter than mine. I am hoping its just the sights are off.

Last edited by cloud8a; February 15, 2017 at 02:32 PM.
Old February 15, 2017, 02:30 PM   #5
cloud8a

Here are some pictures cause I like threads with pictures.

IMG_0241.JPG

IMG_0242.JPG

IMG_0243.JPG
Old February 15, 2017, 02:31 PM   #6
cloud8a

IMG_0244.JPG
Old February 15, 2017, 04:23 PM   #7
Oliver Sudden

Mine is also a fifty and my son built one for his first one from a kit. They can shoot fine.
Old February 15, 2017, 04:59 PM   #8
cloud8a

Quote:
Mine is also a fifty and my son built one for his first one from a kit. They can shoot fine.
Very nice! How old is that rifle?
Old February 15, 2017, 06:34 PM   #9
cloud8a

What does your barrel stamp say?
Old February 16, 2017, 12:34 PM   #10
swathdiver

These old Frontier Rifles are basically carbine versions of the great Mountain Rifle. They too are excellent shooters.

Same lock, same rear sight, same trigger group as the MRs. Barrels are 4 inches shorter with one wedge instead of two.

Much lighter and slimmer than the later Hawken.

Take some sandpaper to the back of the front sight to make it light up if you like on target. You can drift either sight to get it sighted in. Remember though to loosen the rear sight screws before doing that one.