The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 14, 2015, 02:26 PM   #1
Drm50

Another Youtube Victom

Just bought Ithaca 37, 16g old model for parts. Barrel has big knot above fore
arm nut. Seems they saw a video of shooting ringed shot shells on net. I have
not heard of this for years. This is when you put shell on knife blade even with
shot wad and rotate until hull is almost cut in half. When fired the hull separates
and front with shot departs in one unit and makes a slug type projectile. I have
never done this myself. One thing they neglected to think about was firing this
through a full choke gun! It may work on a sawed off gun with no choke but
I wouldn't recommend it to anybody. God protects fools and little children.
Some of this stuff coming off net is going to cost some one to loose eyes or
worse.
Old February 14, 2015, 02:36 PM   #2
Smoke & Recoil

Youtube Boobs

Another dumb one I came across was ding-dongs shooting large
caliber rifles with a two hand hold at the pistol grip nose level, but
they didn't post the ER trip.
Old February 14, 2015, 03:07 PM   #3
jaguarxk120

The whole idea of "cut shells" came from the era of paper shells. The paper was/is impregnated with wax that acts as a lube and the paper will swage down in a choke.

Plastic is slick but HARD and will not form to the choke.
Darwin always wins.
Old February 14, 2015, 03:33 PM   #4
drcook

"Back in the day" ring cut shells were a way to have a deer slug in your pocket when you were not supposed to have them. See a deer, slip in the ring cut shell and shoot at deer. If the game warden stops you, no deer slugs in your pocket.

What kind of parts are you taking off the donor gun. What parts do you not need.

What does the stock look like. Is that a part you are keeping ?
Old February 14, 2015, 04:37 PM   #5
Virginian

The practice of ringing shells was going out of favor big time by the 1960s, but like any cheap alternative it has hung on among a few to this very day. I have seen them shot through all types of chokes. The biggest problem is when the crimp opens up and leaves a ring of shell casing in the barrel. When that happens a barrel bulge such as you describe is not uncommon.
Old February 21, 2015, 11:29 AM   #6
HiBC

I tend to agree with the idea that a "blow though" leaves a claasic bore obstruction/bulge situation.I do not think choke is the issue.

Another problem with this bad idea ...have you ever heard its a bad idea to shoot 3 in shells in a 2 3/4 in chamber? Why is that?Has to do with the case mouth unfolding into the forcing cone,yes?The materialthickness of the case mouth chokes the forcing cone down.

Saying it another way,the powder,burn rate,pressure,etc was all designed to send a projectile the diameter of the wad down the bore..The OD of the shotgun outer hull is bigger than the outside diameter of the shot cup.

It would take testing to prove it,but,IMO,a paper hull with no shotcup and a roll or paper star crimp might well be more compressable and forgiving.

Given today's hard non toxic shot and 1500 fps velocities,forcing an approx. .050 in oversize projectile through the bore seems incredibly stupid.

Now,I do not know your plans for your Ithaca.I cannot give you the serial #s,but there are ranges of serial numbers that the barrels are interchangeable.
Look to e-bay.They may have abarrel..There are quite a few Ithaca parts there.

I doubt they offer anything in 16 ga,but there is an Ithaca 37 web page.They still make them,and some barrels are offered.

Last edited by HiBC; February 21, 2015 at 03:31 PM.
Old February 21, 2015, 01:28 PM   #7
Virginian

I have seen a 20 gauge shell dropped down the barrel of a 12 gauge 870 and then the gun was purposely fired with a 12 gauge load. No damage occurred. But I still ain't gonna do it.
Old February 21, 2015, 01:29 PM   #8
Drm50

Blow thru

Hibc, you are right blow thru was cause. Also like you said on dia. wad/ hull
only a fool would fire this thru gun. Problem is Youtube has a Fools Parade of
gun "experts". I am new to net, when I was told about Youtube I did not think
that many people were that stupid and were proud of it.
Old February 21, 2015, 03:20 PM   #9
drcook

Quote:
Now,I do not know your plans for your Ithaca.I cannot give you the serial #s,but there are ranges of serial numbers that the barrels are interchangeable.
Look to e-bay.They may have abarrel..There are quite a few Ithaca parts there.

I doubt they offer anything in 16 ga,but there is an Ithaca 37 web page.They still make them,and some barrels are offered.
HiBC,

Just so you know (not picking on you ), the serial nbr cutoff is 855,000. After that, the barrels are interchangeable, before, not.

Prior to 855,000 the barrels have an actual "pitch" to the threads, after that, they are simply parallel grooves.

IthacaGun is here in Ohio. They do not offer any old style barrels. What they do offer is a service to mill out and install a bushing adapter ($180.00) and then sell a barrel to you on top of that (another $250 for the field barrel, $275.00 for the vent rib) so a minimum of $430 plus shipping both ways, and in the case of Ohio residents, add tax.

Unless a person is fixing a gun of great family importance or was acquired for next to nothing, it is just not worth it.

Also, on the old guns, you end up with a 2 3/4" only receiver, with a barrel on it that says 2 3/4" and 3" except for the 16ga barrels, which are still 2 3/4" chambered. 16ga barrels are available.

The old receivers cannot be made to cycle 3" shells.

Even the post 855,000 receivers won't cycle 3" shells until they get to the change over in receiver size. Those receivers had MAG- as a suffix or prefix and are 1/4" longer.

Prior to the factory finally shutting down and the bancruptcy sale that happened while Ithaca was still in New York (the Ithaca Gun in Ohio only owns the rights and such to the names,etc) they still made barrels for the old style guns.

I own one, have seen a couple and know where there is another one. Maybe 5 or 6 all together that I have accounted for so far.